Eaton lost some whine

WHSTLR

TRAKDAY
Established Member
Can't figure out why my Eaton stopped making its whine in the lower rpms. It was doing just fine and then one day no whine. Now if I really get on it she whines, but even then its not that loud. My mods are 2.8 upper, 2lb lower, home ported blower (but has had no issues til now), ported TB. I took the SC off (after the issue began) and checked it over.

When on the car you can spin it by hand with no noise. I took it apart and checked the needle bearings but they seem fine so I regreased them with high temp grease, then I took the snout apart and checked the gears etc, but they were good. Put back on and re-oiled with GM SC oil.

My boost guage doesn't work (never has and I am putting this thing back together slowly from where the last owner abused it). I can take the hose off at the firewall and blow into it hard and it moves, but I can't find a leak beyond that to the blower. The car feels like it still has alot of power but its hard to tell for sure with a butt dyno. Would a leak keep it from building enough boost to make the whine at low rpms?

There doesn't seem to be any threads on loss of blower whine with the eaton unless the Eaton is making a knocking sound. If someone knows of one, a point in the right direction would be helpful.

TRBO VNM

on your boost gauge, sounds like it is hooked up wrong. It should go to the lower port on the back of the eaton. Make sure your FRPS is going there as well. Sounds to me like you shouldn't go beating on the car until it is looked over and confirmed things are hooked up correctly.

you gotta have people in your area that are familiar with these cars that can help you out?

WHSTLR

TRAKDAY
Established Member
You were correct, the boost guage was hooked up incorrectly. Shop just put it back together so I figuered they would catch something that simple. Also checked the boost by pass and it seems to work fine. Still troubleshooting. Thanks for the tips so far.

Sent from Schrodingers Cat via Android

Users who are viewing this thread