e85 goes lean at 3k

SpittinCobra

Established Member
Had car getting tuned yesterday and as soon we went wot the a/f would hit 14.0-15.3. We added 20,30,40 percent more fuel and it would get leaner. Car idles fine and doesn't miss . Has twin 340 pumps with 80# injectors . Return set up with -8 feed line. Pump duty cycle is fine. So my question is has anyone got a bad blend of e85. That's all I can think it could be as we had 70 psi at fuel rail when we go wot. So the fuel is there. It like its not burning. Was at 21# of boost

Last edited:

chernandez88

Established Member
Had car getting tuned yesterday and as soon we went wot the a/f would hit 14.0-15.3. We added 20,30,40 percent more fuel and it would get leaner. Car idles fine and doesn't miss . Has twin 340 pumps with 80# injectors . Return set up with -8 feed line. Pump duty cycle is fine. So my question is has anyone got a bad blend of e85. That's all I can think it could be as we had 70 psi at fuel rail when we go wot. So the fuel is there. It like its not burning. Was at 21# of boost

What power were you making before you leaned out?

ClubVenom1

On My Way To 8's
Established Member
Quote - as soon we went wot the a/f would hit 14.0-15.3. We added 20,30,40 percent more fuel and it would get leaner.

You would think it would go richer if you added fuel. Possible restriction somewhere in the injector. Is the correct injector file in the tune?

Last edited:

SpittinCobra

Established Member
Quote - as soon we went wot the a/f would hit 14.0-15.3. We added 20,30,40 percent more fuel and it would get leaner.

You would think it would go richer if you added fuel. Possible restriction somewhere in the injector. Is the correct injector file in the tune?

He opened up the injector pulse and nothing. You would think if a injector was bad that your a/f would be okay but you would be down on power. It's like the injectors are maxed out but I don't see 80# being maxed out at 3 k rpms.

ClubVenom1

On My Way To 8's
Established Member
Datalogging the injector duty cycle will prove if the injector is maxed out.

To me it sounds like the MAF transfer table is not tuned correctly to the commanded LAMBDA in the fuel table at WOT, but I'm sure your tuner checked that.

You could have some high water content in the E85?

Have you checked the content of water in the E85 you pumped?
Have you checked the content of ethanol in the gas you pumped?
Have you tried another stations E85? drain tank and refilled?

Last edited:

SpittinCobra

Established Member
Datalogging the injector duty cycle will prove if the injector is maxed out.

To me it sounds like the MAF transfer table is not tuned correctly to the commanded LAMBDA in the fuel table at WOT, but I'm sure your tuner checked that.

You could have some high water content in the E85?

Have you checked the content of water in the E85 you pumped?
Have you checked the content of ethanol in the gas you pumped?
Have you tried another stations E85? drain tank and refilled?

My tuner thinks it has water in it also. So I pumped out the e85 and put 93 back in. Car is at his shop now and I'm waiting on him to call as we speak. So hes gonna do a pull and see how AF is.

I have 2 stations by me that sell e85 and I had a half tank from both places which sucks bc I do.t know which one had the bad if it turns out to be the fuel. I news to get a tester. Does autozone sell these

ClubVenom1

On My Way To 8's
Established Member
Last edited:

SpittinCobra

Established Member
I think a single auromotive could do 70psi sounds like what had happened to another car I know same issues and it was the second fuel pump. Just a thought might want to check it out.

That would suck ass as I've had to drop that tank 3 times this week. Hell what's one more right

hurley383

Established Member
That would suck ass as I've had to drop that tank 3 times this week. Hell what's one more right

Lol yea that would suck but making more power later will be worth it right?? Lol we did a full fuel system on a cobra and had to drop the tank a bunch then later found out that the float was stuck and the fuel gauge was not reading lol.

oldmodman

Established Member
Could your fuel filter be partially clogged? Just enough to give you a lean condition when the fuel volume requirements hit 4K?

Users who are viewing this thread