E85 gas

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Guys like E85 because it is very resistant to detonation. I went to a progressive timing scheme of 19 to 22 degrees of timing instead of 15 degrees (max before knock) on 91 octane. Also bumped boost 1 pound. My goal was 700 HP.

The very top of the pull has a weird waviness on the dynojet. It goes away on the their dyno dynamics. I am gonna check the plug gaps, but he said there was no miss he could feel, maybe something funky with the tires and suspension on the dynojet. It is the heavy roller version of that dyno. I have since did several pulls on the street and it pulls smooth with no miss.

img003_zps6eec123d.jpg

bigmoose

Established Member
There are a few stations near me so I'm considering E85 myself. However my car does 2k miles a year and I'm wondering if its worth it. I am running a KB but would need a fuel system. What's the story with E85 quality? I read stuff about poor quality, contaminants, clogged filters, etc, which have me on the fence.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
It's the number 1 way to preserve your motor. Add in Malcolms lean protection module and a stock factory motor will run tons of boost and timing until the cows come home. Big time low end and mid range TQ

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
E85 is the single greatest innovation over the last 10 years in the car world. It alone is responsible for the huge amount of 1k+ HP street cars that can literally be daily driven running max boost all the time. I went through 4 engines back in '06-07 trying to keep my shit together on pump gas and finally just had to let the car sit for a number of years. I came back full bore on e85 and beat the living daylights out of my car every weekend and never bat an eye anymore. Liquid gold....aww yeah.

cj428mach

Established Member
I don't know if I'd do it on an eaton but its definitely the way to go if you do an upgraded blower.
Pro's
It virtually eliminates the chance of detonation (#1 killer of terminator motors), allows for more boost, more timing, you can
Allows for almost an endless amount of boost (MM&FF ran 29psi on a stock 13 gt500 with e85 and hit almost 1000rwhp)
Allows for more timing (I'm running 6 more degrees than I ran on 91 octane)
Allows for less timing to be pulled because of higher IAT2 temps
The motor will run way way way cooler.

Con's
Availability
Reliability (e85 can vary from e60-e90 from station to station) I was told by an e85 expert that is more than enough ethanol to get the keep all the Pro's listed above but that it will throw off your AFR in your tune but it throws it off in a safe way.
Fuel system upgrades are often required.

E85 can add 100rwhp to an aftermarket blower car and do it while making the setup safer.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
I don't know if I'd do it on an eaton but its definitely the way to go if you do an upgraded blower.
Pro's
It virtually eliminates the chance of detonation (#1 killer of terminator motors), allows for more boost, more timing, you can
Allows for almost an endless amount of boost (MM&FF ran 29psi on a stock 13 gt500 with e85 and hit almost 1000rwhp)
Allows for more timing (I'm running 6 more degrees than I ran on 91 octane)
Allows for less timing to be pulled because of higher IAT2 temps
The motor will run way way way cooler.

Con's
Availability
Reliability (e85 can vary from e60-e90 from station to station) I was told by an e85 expert that is more than enough ethanol to get the keep all the Pro's listed above but that it will throw off your AFR in your tune but it throws it off in a safe way.
Fuel system upgrades are often required.

E85 can add 100rwhp to an aftermarket blower car and do it while making the setup safer.

Why would you not do it to an eaton? It will benefit just as a twinscrew will from e85. And the cooling effect is a plus for the little heaton, it needs all the help it can get.

Kyle_KleinSS

Established Member
Why would you not do it to an eaton? It will benefit just as a twinscrew will from e85. And the cooling effect is a plus for the little heaton, it needs all the help it can get.

I myself am going to do a port/lower swap on e85. Should be a big jump from just an upper only car. I myself see no reason not to go e85. Midwest its pretty readily available. My main reason is the cooling as you said.

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
Wow great information guys, though i own an 03 cobra I'm also was thinking of running it on the Shelby. For some reason it seems there is more guys running it on their 03/04 cobras then the Shelby guys. Regardless I do wish we had it locally.

cj428mach

Established Member

You do get get the cooling effects and detonation suppression but you don't get the power gains. I think the highest hp on an e85 eaton is about 550, well you see people get into the low 500's without e85 so you're only picking up 35-45 horsepower and you still get all the con's.

One other con I forgot is cold startups

I do have mine down to where it takes about 1/2 a second to start now instead of about 3 seconds of cranking when I first went e85. Its no where near as good as pump gas where it hits on the first revolution and this is at 60 degrees out let alone what it could be like at 30 degrees or colder.

Tractionless1

Established Member

'Cause if you're uncatted it doesn't smell everything up like rotten eggs. The cleaning effects on the engine are amazing and the motor runs MUCH smoother as well.

Last edited:

JustaGT5408

Established Member
E85 is where it's at. Check out the distillery section as mentioned above, lots of good info in there.

Users who are viewing this thread