E85 Cold Start Issues?

Z06KILLR

Established Member
Anyone have problems with E85 and cold starts? it seems like my car doesnt want to start with the cooler weather (sub 55 degrees).

The plugs are gapped at .018

The engine can be warm (140 water temp) but no luck. I have to WOT and crank for fuel cut off and it will Ieventually get start.

Maybe I need to just swap out the plugs.

Yaadman_GT

Yaadman_GT
Established Member
The E is notorious for not starting easily when the weather gets colder. That why most FFV manufacturers don't recommend using ethanol in the winter time. I have to mess around with my Cranking Fuel until the engine warms up a bit then it'll start.

gt347mustang

Established Member
That;s a pretty tight gap.

I recently went from .28 to .24 on my tr6's and it seems much harder to light when the temperature is under 50 degrees.

If you have to peg your fuel, maybe have your tuner take out some cranking fuel. How does it run when cold? Do you have a wideband?

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
My car isnt to bad to start but Ill admit shes not happy until warmed up. car feels a little sluggish until at full op temp.

sabotage

corn fed!!!!!!
Established Member
Man my car was recently tuned at kurgan and in 30deg weather tonight and last night it starts right up and idles perfect

wow i need to get bob to tune my car.....mine does the same exact thing on cold start up. It starts up missfiring but a minute later it runs smooth as silk...

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
I would open the gap up like everyone is saying because that is not affecting it. This is why "winter blend" has more 87 in it for cold starting. If you have SCT PRP, you can add about 20% crank lambda and that should get you close (may need more dialing in). Mine took about 24% more crank lambda to start right up over 93. If not, have your tuner add crank lambda at these certain temps and this will take care of you!

Last edited:

Z06KILLR

Established Member
Im south of 31 longitude so the mixture is never below 74%.

It was tuned in 95 degree heat in June.

I have the PRP from SCT but I dont have an editable tune.

I'll try some things and see, just getting a feel for everyones experience.

Bob wasnt comfortable tunning my car so we will never know :)

Last edited:

TEAL VNM

Established Member
I had a problem starting my car when it was cold. It ended up being a problem with the guy that tuned it. I had it retuned by someone who knows what they are doing and never had another issue.

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
It's all in the tune. Thousands of flex fuel vehicles start in very cold weather. Mine has always started right up but took some work. It's being re-tuned now and so far, he said the cold start is good.

It seems that if a car was tuned in hot weather, all the tuner can do is guess and project the cold start. It's probably best to have it tuned in the cold weather if it's ever going to be started in the cold.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I had a problem starting my car when it was cold. It ended up being a problem with the guy that tuned it. I had it retuned by someone who knows what they are doing and never had another issue.
I would have to agree! :-D

Users who are viewing this thread