E-85 More than just a fuel

oldmodman

Established Member
I put two gallons in my old 92 Explorer to "clean it up a little" and it tested the cleanest it's ever been during the California every two year SMOG test.
The two gallons did not affect the engine's running at all. It idled and ran just as smooth as ever. Cold start was fine too.
Since it's cheaper than even 87 octane here and burns much cleaner, maybe I should tip the can all the time.
And I did refer back to SMOG tests done in the late 90's and it was considerably cleaner exhaust now with the two gallons of E-85
I wonder how high a percentage I could run without any harm to the engine?

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I have run up to 1/3 tank of E85 on non-flex fuel cars without issue.

I did the same thing and put 3 gallons in my daughters 1991 Ford Ranger when it had to go for the smog check and it passed with flying colors!

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
Around here all 89 octane has 10% ethanol in it and there is a sticker right on the pump stating so. It is cheaper than 87, but I still run 87.

Some places are even putting 10% in the 91. I wouldn't be surprised if all the gas has some in it.

E85 is only about 20cents cheaper than 89. I would only run it on a performance car like we see many guys on here do.

twistedneck

Established Member
since 85 needs a much richer stoich, you are running super lean by doing that. as long as you stay part throttle you will be fine, but things might get hot going that lean under full throttle.

does over lean gas / 85 blend melt pistons? hmm.. i'm thinking yes.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
since 85 needs a much richer stoich, you are running super lean by doing that. as long as you stay part throttle you will be fine, but things might get hot going that lean under full throttle.

does over lean gas / 85 blend melt pistons? hmm.. i'm thinking yes.

I didn't read that anyone was suggesting a full tank of E85 or blasting down a dragstrip....lol. I might try this in my '04 pickup. Or better yet...wonder if a half ounce in my husqvarna weed trimmer might clear it up? It's been running like crap, destined for the trash anyways

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
ok, I don't take long to try something - lol

I'm pleased to say the trimmer is running like new. Idling perfect, WOT really good. Before it would not stay running WOT...just bogged down and died. I used a syringe and maybe added 1/4 ounce to a half tank and then topped it off. This is hard to believe it worked, but it did. I was close to tossing the entire thing

rxpwhistler1

HP Junkie
Established Member

I'm pleased to say the trimmer is running like new. Idling perfect, WOT really good. Before it would not stay running WOT...just bogged down and died. I used a syringe and maybe added 1/4 ounce to a half tank and then topped it off. This is hard to believe it worked, but it did. I was close to tossing the entire thing

aint nothing to it but to do it! Haha, you don't waste any time at all. Now I am going to put some in my 95 Suburban that's been running like a raped ape above 50mph. Maybe it will clean things up a bit...can't hurt :beer:

jblood37

Established Member

WTH? Everyone I know says that the ethanol is what is killing the 2 stroke motors. Hmmm... :read:

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
For sure, you can't miss the "ethanol fixer" products walking through Walmart garden section. But I've tried those and they made no difference, still ran terrible. I have to mow 12 months a yr down here so my gas is always fresh in 1 gallon containers. This splash of e85 worked immediately. I did add the required oil mix. Maybe I just got lucky, not sure. This husqvarna is about 5 yrs old and has run really rough for 2 months progressively getting worse. I put a new ngk in late January.

I'm beginning to think the "problem" isn't ethanol....it's the gas! Lol

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Ok, e85 has now saved a second gas trimmer. My dad has an echo 2100 weed trimmer that is 13 yrs old but hasn't run in 3 years. I went over this morning, cleaned out the old gas, mixed fresh gas/oil and added e85. It started off a little rough but progressively ran smoother and achieving more rpm as the tank burned down. About halfway through the tank I put in a brand new plug and new purge bubble. By the end of the tank it was running and idling like new. Ok, to say that's amazing is an understatement, my dad could not believe how quick and little expense (7 bucks total) that was to save that trimmer. It might be 13 yrs old, but it's a quality industrial type trimmer, now it's full of life once again :rockon:

pacific4v

Established Member
The gasoline around here is almost all e10, the local stations that sell e85 also sell e30 mix too. Sounds like e30 might be the right mix for non flexfuel vehicles.

4VFTW

Established Member
Back in the early 90's when florida had smog tests I would dump a bottle of Thermocare water remover into around 2 gallons of gas and go pass emissions with my 85 GT...hallowed out cats, holley 750dp, comp cam...passed no problem. Same principle.

saleen2002

Established Member
if i put in a couple gallons of e85, will it harm any thing ? what would be the benifit of putting e85 into a non flexfuel vehicle ?

Users who are viewing this thread