DYNO #'s w/ FR-500

SlvrSnke01

Established Member
Dyno Results:

Last week I added the FR-500 exhaust and this past weekend I added a set of Steeda Power Pulley's to my 01 Cobra. Today I made three dyno runs at JD's Performance Center in Huntingdon Valley, PA. The #'s were very impressive.

Bone stock w/ paper filter and silencer the car spun the wheels at 277 RWHP and 281Ft-lbs.

All three runs today were made with paper filter, silencer and 5 minute cool-downs between runs w/ NO ice. The #'s are SAE corrected.

Run1:
Temp: 97.9
Barometer: 29.72
Max Power: 294.2
Max Torque: 299.2

Run2:
Max Power: 294.1
Max Torque: 301.3

Run3:
:thumbsup:
Max Power: 295.2
Max Torque: 299.1

With only the FR-500 and pulleys I picked up 18RWHP and 20Ft-lbs, with no other mods. Joe the tuner at JD's thinks I will gain another 10-15RWHP with a custom chip. The car flat out hauls and is awesome to 6500.

For those looking at the FR-500 I admit it is quiet at normal speeds but at WOT this exhaust howls and makes some serious HP and torque.

Bill

:thumbsup:

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
My man

I hear ya loud and clear. I've been wanting to dyno mine now that I've done the FR500 cat back and a K&N. They say a K&N alone is worth 5-7 hp? You seem to have a health cobra, best of luck with it. One question for ya, how many miles on the motor?

pichon244

Banned
fR500 GAINS

WHEN I DYNOED MY FR500 EXHAUST ON MY 2001----I FOUND I GAINED 10hp AND 14lbs OF TORQUE---NOT BAD-----PLUS----THE BEST PART OF ALL-----IS THE ABSOLUTE MINIMAL BACKPRESSURE-----AND NICE DEEP SOUND IN 2 AND 3RD GEARS AROUND THE 4000 rpm RANGE-------AWESOME EXHAUST. ALL THESE GUYS BASHING THE FR500 EXHAUST ARE ABSOLUTE FOOLS--------BECAUSE SIMPLY PUT-----ITS PROBABLY THE BEST FREE FLOWING EXHAUST AVAILABLE FOR ANY COBRA FROM 99---TO 01. AND LAST THING-------IT DEFINETELY IMPROVES GAS MILEAGE!

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
o-ya

I got your back! Couldn't agree more! people should :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: Took me along time to choose the cat-back system. Probably the price stop me at first. But, stainless steel alone, ya can not go wrong. :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

pichon244

Banned
BRO------GLAD SOMEBODY ELSE DOES THEIR RESEARCH

I TOTALLY FORGOT ABOUT THE STAINLESS STEEL BIT-----WITHOUT QUESTION------WORTH EVERY BIT ITS PRICE TAG!!!

SlvrSnke01

Established Member
Brad,

When I first dynoed my cobra the car had 750 miles on it, now the car has 13K. I think some of the gain is attributed to break-in because the motor seems to be alot stronger.

However, around 11K the car started to ping on X-brand 93 gas so I was worried the car was losing power. I recently started to run ultra 94 and the pinging is non-existant.

I have a set of BBK long-tubes ordered which my dyno guy says add around 10-15 RWHP. I am still unsure about the H-Pipe, off-road or catted, any suggestions?

I am shooting for 320RWHP with some other mods. My goal is to beat a 03 in naturally aspirated form.

Bill

pichon244

Banned
Bill my friend, give it up . . .

you won't beat the 2003 cobra at the horsepower war-----the 2003 has been dynoed at 381rwhp----even if you put the FR500 cylinder heads and new cams----you might not beat that number-----besides those two things cost about $3200----you might as well buy a supercharger----with those mods---you're half way there. Personally-----long tube headers are a real waste of money. No real power is added----10-15hp-----is not something that you are going to feel at any point in any gear! Save the money----and use it on the 100% sure thing mods!

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
well

SlvrSnke01, I know how ya feel, I to wish to be faster non s/c with my 99 than the 03's. I haven't given up on waiting for the Ford new line of aftermarket 99-01 cobra parts, new intake(dual mass air/throttlebodys), heads, cams and so on, all modeled after the FR500 Cobra car. They state in the ford book 60 hp gains or more. Well pichon244, that would bring ya to the 03 game playing feld in my eyes with out a s/c. And yes it probably would cost more to get more hp out of a natural asperated car than s/c. S/Cing is probably the best way to get the big hp numbers. I would go s/c but I don't want to touch the bottom end, therefore, the way I drive, I'd blow the motor. When S/Cing you got to fu*k with the computer and fuel and have the correct compression, and it still might not run correctly. It's not worth it, in stock bottom end form 99-01 Cobra to go s/c if your going to use that power every time ya get in to the car. Where I'm tring to go with this is - if ya build a 4.6 cobra motor or buy one built s/c'er ready, it would cost you $3,000 or more (reworked yours, new parts) or $8,000 or more (pro built crate motor) OK, Then the S/C'er 5,500 to 6,500 or more Vortex in stalled. Alot of money, but now ya got one killer motor setup. Nice for the people that don't have a high morgage or car bills. But for me I would like to add those aftermarket Ford parts when ever they deside to release them, and see the dyno #'s.:idea:
check this out!
http://www.alternativeauto.com/waterbox/wb-archives/32v_pistons.html

Last edited:

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
Magnaflow is a nice system. I had one on a 5.0 mustang. Very low and deep sounding. You could hear it coming, also stainless steal. Best of luck with it tms217.:beer:

ROSENDO SANCHEZ

Established Member
Originally posted by tms217
I still like the bassani x and Magnaflow catback combo..

Where is the cheapest place to buy a baasani x? I already have the magnaflow muffs..adding the x pipe would be sweet!:)

pichon244

Banned
best test results

you don't get that kind of power (even though its not much) from any other exhaust system out there!

CobraF/I

Established Member
Originally posted by SlvrSnke01
Dyno Results:

Today I made three dyno runs at JD's Performance Center in Huntingdon Valley, PA.

Hey!! That's where I get my work done! We have to meet up! They did a fantastic job with my supercharger.

MystiChrome Coupe

Established Member
attn SlvrSnke01

I have the same performance mods as you (FR500 & Steeda U/D pullies) I had my car dyno'ed bone stock with 4000 mile on the clock, it was 268rwhp & 277rwtq. I have been seeing these #'s are on the low side:shrug: but I'm hopeing to just get that much more from my mods. Gonna maybe try a C&L next.

Last edited:

Trblmkr

Established Member
Okay..I"m curious...

You guys are saying with a full blown FR500 you can get an additional 15 Horses... right..

Well this article right here (http://www.mustangexhaust.com) says you can get 20 Horses ALONE by just installing the Magnaflow mufflers... Why would you want to spend the money for ALL of the FR500 when just a muffler swap will do the same thing ???

Seems like a waste of money to me.

SVTNICK

Established Member
Hey Guys,-
I was at the JDM meet yesterday, and Jim was telling his plan for the near future. He is currently on working on getting complete short blocks (built to his specs) for about 1800!!!! And thats for 2v 4v and lightning owners.!! ANd we are talking forged internals..very cool guy indeed....Figured id through that out there. I know I was looking into redoing by bottom end before SC, and it would cost about $5000 unil I heard the news from JDM. Something to watch out for.

-Nick

SlvrSnke01

Established Member
Cobra FI,

We should meet up sometime, where are you from?

I agree Joe at JD's does excellent work and has been a good friend of mine for several years. His brother also has an 01 Cobra(Mineral Gray) with some basic work done.

If you are interested on Sunday nights a contingent of area gear heads hang out at the Neshaminy Interplex off of RT(1) behind the Steak&Ale. Usually about a 50 cars and a couple of 8/9 second machines as well.

Bill

CobraF/I

Established Member
Originally posted by SlvrSnke01
Cobra FI,

We should meet up sometime, where are you from?

I agree Joe at JD's does excellent work and has been a good friend of mine for several years. His brother also has an 01 Cobra(Mineral Gray) with some basic work done.

If you are interested on Sunday nights a contingent of area gear heads hang out at the Neshaminy Interplex off of RT(1) behind the Steak&Ale. Usually about a 50 cars and a couple of 8/9 second machines as well.

Bill

Awesome! I'm from around Doylestown. I'm not entirely sure where that Interplex is, but I'm sure I could find it. I don't have too many more Sundays here, unfortunately, I'm heading back up to my fifth (and final) year at school. Haha, took me long enough. I admit, I'm not a gear head, but I want to learn as much as possible! If I do make it, what should I look for? I am driving a black 99 Cobra convertible, stock exhaust and a Penn State decal on the rear windshield. I worked my butt off to get it, so it is my pride and joy in many ways! Keep an eye out for me!

Scott:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread