Dyno results

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Well, I am really disappointed. I will say the Don at LaSota kicks ass. I was so dissapointed, that I had teh guys at Houston Performance try to tune it and get more out of it. They couldn't. Pretty bad ass for a mail order tune. I was hoping for 400 rwhp and expecting at least 370 rwhp. Mods are in sig. Numbers are SAE. Stock shortblock as 84k miles on it. Any ideas on why it came out so low? Anything I should check? Flame suit on for all teh guys that told me to put a blower on it.:kaboom:

IMG_1130.jpg

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
I would have hoped for at least 390 with Ported heads and FR500 cams/intake on an mildly aggressive tune. It seems to be peaking a little low, most 281ci enigines with the FR parts peak near 7200.

How was the A/F?

It could be the following, not in any specific order:
-low ignition timing
-another tune issue--doubtfull -valve lash issues--doubtfull
-compression issues
-cam timing is off

You should find out where the ignition timing is set? Next, I'd do a compression check; at least one cylinder on each side. If that's good, check them all. If the first check is bad, that would point to a cam timing issue.

Do a leak-down check if there is nothing obvious after checking the aforementioned items.

You don't have "dragging" rear brakes do you?

Lumpydogs

Established Member
The torque curve looks strange. What is going on around 5500 rpms?
You have good high end torque but flat (weak) low end and mid range torque. I'm used to seeing these engines peak torque at 4000 - 5000 rpm then fall off rapidly.

400 rwhp is a VERY lofty goal for a NA 281. I wonder if you are running real rich 3000 - 5500 rpms? 39# injectors spray alot of fuel for a NA 4.6L engine. I'm assuming the injectors are matched to the MAF.

I'm NOT a tuner, just throwing out some ideas.

silver2001cobra

Established Member
my car made 385 rwhp and 321 rwtp with timing around 26 degrees( i need more timing) with these mods:bored .020 over with manely rods and cp flattop pistons
fr500 heads
fr500 cams
fr500 intake
jlt cold air
90mm mass air
steeda pulleys
bassani mid-lenght headers
bassani x-pipe
magnaflow cat-back
4.10 gears
cobra r spec 6 speed transmission (t-56)
Aluminum flywheel
aluminum driveshaft

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
The torque curve looks strange. What is going on around 5500 rpms?
You have good high end torque but flat (weak) low end and mid range torque. I'm used to seeing these engines peak torque at 4000 - 5000 rpm then fall off rapidly.

400 rwhp is a VERY lofty goal for a NA 281. I wonder if you are running real rich 3000 - 5500 rpms? 39# injectors spray alot of fuel for a NA 4.6L engine. I'm assuming the injectors are matched to the MAF.

I'm NOT a tuner, just throwing out some ideas.
400 is not a lofty goal for engine with FR500 cams and intake. The FR intake is the reason for the shape of the torque curve and where hp peaks.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
I would smell dragging brakes wouldn't I? The wierd bump is due to the intake runners changing. The first run it was at 5k and the second we bumped it to 5200. You can see the peak is below 7k, which I wasn't expecting at all. The bad thing about HP's set up is that the A/F is seperate, so I don't have the printout of that. IIRC, it got to about 13.5 was the worst it got. Other than that, it was usually around 12.5 I think? A bit lean I think. I installed the cams straight up, so they are 109/109, should be anyway. I had so many issues with degreeing them, that I ended up not doing it. Yea yea yea, I know I should have, but I was running out of time. I had to get the car back together before my wife had the baby. I finished the car less than a week before the due date as it was.

Can I read the timing off of the Xcal? I have no idea what it is. HP is supposed to be emailing me the datalog. I forgot my thumb drive :bash: I guess I'll try a compression check later this week. I wish I had dyno'd it before now. Maybe my car is just a turd to begin with. It feels so strong and I love driving it, but I sure wish I had some numbers to justify the time, effort, and money.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
my car made 385 rwhp and 321 rwtp with timing around 26 degrees( i need more timing) with these mods:bored .020 over with manely rods and cp flattop pistons
fr500 heads
fr500 cams
fr500 intake
jlt cold air
90mm mass air
steeda pulleys
bassani mid-lenght headers
bassani x-pipe
magnaflow cat-back
4.10 gears
cobra r spec 6 speed transmission (t-56)
Aluminum flywheel
aluminum driveshaft

That's basically what I have except for the shortblock.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
I also wish I had noticed they didn't take it up to 7500. The curve is getting flat by 7k anyway, but I'm still curious.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
You can datalog many parameters including ignition timing using your Xcal2 and a laptop.

Ok, I'm still learning how to data log. I'll do a run tomorrow and make sure I get timing. I think that I was supposed to get that today. I need to email HP to make sure they send it to me so I can send it to Don.

Users who are viewing this thread