Dyno Results - Not Good

cmnorman

Established Member
After being without a terminator for several years I picked up my new one about a week and a half ago. It had an email tune on it from Lund so I decided to take it in and get it dyno tuned again at ProDyno. Dan at ProDyno tuned it when it was built a few years ago and it made 735 RWHP back then so I took it back to him since he knew the car. On the way there I got stuck in traffic and it overheated and started puffing some white smoke :mj:. So Dan wanted to go ahead and do a low RPM test pull and see what we could see and confirm what we figured, that it was broken. So he changed a few settings in the computer because it was running super rich on the Lund tune and he did a short test pull and said something else was not right. He started pulling plugs and put his camera down in the cylinders and he found some oil and small metal fragments in the left rear cylinder that he was guessing came from a cracked or damaged valve guide. The spark plug in that cylinder was hammered flat, no gap. So anyways, long story longer...the car is hurt and I had to leave it there. They are going to drop the motor and pull the heads and send me some photos and call me. here's hoping it's not too bad once they get it apart. It kills me to have had the car for less than 2 weeks and now I'm without it for a month or two as we are heading into prime convertible weather. :cuss:

3E8CD271-D98E-4038-9022-D8DE4FE4AF12.jpg

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
That sucks man, sorry for the bad break. Did the previous owner say why they went away from the ProDyno tune in the first place?

cmnorman

Established Member
I'm the 9th owner. I was able to trace a lot of history but not all. 2 owners ago had it tuned in PA and posted video of the dyno run in his for sale ad. I showed Dan and he said it was broke thenand they should have aborted the run instead of staying in it. The previous owner really didn't know what was wrong with it but knew something was up and discounted the price to me and I rolled the dice on it. The original build was in 2011 and was supposedly in the $50k range. Seeing the full mod list I figured it was worth the gamble for what I paid for it. I guess we'll see. It

ShaneCobra74

Established Member
Oh you will. After a few weeks and a few thousand dollars. ��

Silver lining is that she'll definitely be all sorted out!! It sucks, but sounds like she's not a DD. Also, it was wise to check the tune. Imagine if you just rolled with it??! There's still plenty of good, cool air in November! Keep us posted!

cmnorman

Established Member
It was built by Dave at Macon Moore Performance in Sumter, SC. It's a 5.0L stroker with a Kellogg forged crank, Manley rods, wiseco pistons, 2.3 whipple, Crane custom ground cams, ported and polished heads with oversized valves, 60 lb injectors, JLT intake, kooks long tube headers...I'm sure I'm missing something but it's definitely got some work done to it. Also has a T56 magnum, 26 spline input shafts, aluminum flywheel, twin disc clutch, upgraded drive shaft and half shafts, IRS brace, etc.

cmnorman

Established Member
Silver lining is that she'll definitely be all sorted out!! It sucks, but sounds like she's not a DD. Also, it was wise to check the tune. Imagine if you just rolled with it??! There's still plenty of good, cool air in November! Keep us posted!

Thanks! Very true. There was too much risk to not get it checked out. And no, not a DD. I drive a hamster powered 14 VW that gets 30 mpg. It's about as far from the raw, loud, brash nature of the cobra.

ShaneCobra74

Established Member
Thanks! Very true. There was too much risk to not get it checked out. And no, not a DD. I drive a hamster powered 14 VW that gets 30 mpg. It's about as far from the raw, loud, brash nature of the cobra.

Excellent- Sounds like a beast.. the Cobra, that is! :beer:

cmnorman

Established Member
See his second post, he bought it knowing there was an issue. I guess the hope was that it could be sorted out on the dyno.

exactly. It was running rich with a vacuum leak and an email tune. The hope was that fixing the vacuum leak and putting it back on the dyno to get the tune right would solve the problem.

JoeCobra

Established Member
I've done nothing but fix mine since I bought it a year ago. I feel your pain. I did not know I had any issues though except that it needed front tires and the rear diff cover leaked. Mine just blew a 9,000 mile old motor build due to bad tuning I'm guessing. I had the FTBR kit put in with the milled cover, the new tires up front, and the alignment. The alignment was way the heck off. For some reason they cant get the rear diff cover to stop leaking which is annoying. It seals for a couple weeks and then leaks again all over my exhaust and garage floor. Since then I've had to have the clutch fork replaced and the clutch adjusted a couple of times because it doesn't seem to want to stay where they put it. The clutch is supposedly only 9,000 miles old as well so the issue wasn't there. It has the upgraded clutch quadrant so at least that isn't difficult but this has been a nightmare for us. It's my second Cobra I bought second hand and the first one had no issues ever after bought it.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Well, that sucks. However, it sounds like you will treat it A TON better than it had been in the past. Keep us posted on it and good luck!

Buckwheat 1

I like Blm junk in my butt
Established Member
I've done nothing but fix mine since I bought it a year ago. I feel your pain. I did not know I had any issues though except that it needed front tires and the rear diff cover leaked. Mine just blew a 9,000 mile old motor build due to bad tuning I'm guessing. I had the FTBR kit put in with the milled cover, the new tires up front, and the alignment. The alignment was way the heck off. For some reason they cant get the rear diff cover to stop leaking which is annoying. It seals for a couple weeks and then leaks again all over my exhaust and garage floor. Since then I've had to have the clutch fork replaced and the clutch adjusted a couple of times because it doesn't seem to want to stay where they put it. The clutch is supposedly only 9,000 miles old as well so the issue wasn't there. It has the upgraded clutch quadrant so at least that isn't difficult but this has been a nightmare for us. It's my second Cobra I bought second hand and the first one had no issues ever after bought it.

That sucks.I used that lube locker gasket with no issues.I would give that a shot.

cmnorman

Established Member
Car went into the shop today and they are working on it over the weekend. Fingers crossed that nothing is seriously damaged or broken!

Users who are viewing this thread