Dyno Results - Not Good

Kyle_KleinSS

Established Member
I've done nothing but fix mine since I bought it a year ago. I feel your pain. I did not know I had any issues though except that it needed front tires and the rear diff cover leaked. Mine just blew a 9,000 mile old motor build due to bad tuning I'm guessing. I had the FTBR kit put in with the milled cover, the new tires up front, and the alignment. The alignment was way the heck off. For some reason they cant get the rear diff cover to stop leaking which is annoying. It seals for a couple weeks and then leaks again all over my exhaust and garage floor. Since then I've had to have the clutch fork replaced and the clutch adjusted a couple of times because it doesn't seem to want to stay where they put it. The clutch is supposedly only 9,000 miles old as well so the issue wasn't there. It has the upgraded clutch quadrant so at least that isn't difficult but this has been a nightmare for us. It's my second Cobra I bought second hand and the first one had no issues ever after bought it.

I can never get my clutch correct either. Im trying a new cable next year. Thinking it may be stretched out.

speeddemon2000

Established Member
I know lund has a great name but I would be real skeptical of an e-mail tune. I bet if they pulled the pistons they will find they are all eat up with detonation. You should look for the reason for your overheating problem. Is there a coolant leak somewhere? I have experienced issues with the o-rings in the crossover tube in the back of the head leaking, o-ring issue with the coolant tube under the intake leaking,an issue with the rubber gasket in the drain tube in the radiator leaking, a broken fan blade, a bad overflow tank cap and a blown head gasket. Each of this problems cause various levels of overheating. That's why its so important to monitor actually coolant temps, not the everything is ok no matter what gauge for gives us.

cmnorman

Established Member
Here is an update: something went through the motor and left a trail of destruction.

3BFF4657-6321-41B9-AA6F-DFFC04515A5E.jpg

736BCD62-2572-4058-B96F-909E3F8C1367.jpg

Sounds like I'm getting new pistons and some head work done among other things.

Last edited:

cmnorman

Established Member
So, update...car is still at the shop. I visited the shop this week and it's almost time for them to put it back together. Dan at ProDyno has been great and kept in contact throughout the process and texted me pictures, etc all along the way. After seeing some of what was wrong with it I really wish I could hold someone accountable for it. They put stock rods on a stroker crank and apparently beat the living snot out of it. The crank was cracked, block was cracked and a piston was cracked. Two valves were bent and 3 valve guides were broken. This is costing me a fortune and it looks like a lot of it is thanks to crappy workmanship coupled with cheap/wrong parts. It's a shame and it really makes me angry. I'm $10k deep into getting this thing rebuilt and put back together. Had to replace the block, crank, rods, pistons, a couple valves and valve guides and a bunch of machine shop work. Anyways, rant over. This car has been talked about and sold through this site a couple times and I'm curious if the person that screwed it up is a member here.

cmnorman

Established Member
Yeah I don't know how I would have decided if I found out all the bad news all at once. The heads are ported with oversized valves and its 5.0 stroker motor but other than the whipple I had to replace most of the major mechanical components.

cmnorman

Established Member
So, what does the new build look like? Block, rods, pistons, compression, etc.?

Got a used stock block, a Scat stroker crank, Manley rods of the appropriate length, diamond pistons, the heads are getting fixed and reworked and then the rest of the parts were good so the Whipple and headers, etc will go back on. Not sure on the compression yet. He said the heads should be back next week so reassembly can begin. He said he is confident it will hit in the 700's again.

GDDYUP

Established Member
Sucks to hear that story! At least you're not giving up and you're sticking with it! Should be a damn fine Termi once you're through the crap! Looking forward to hearing about the new revival!!

cmnorman

Established Member
Here are a few photos from my visit to the shop the other day.

80F512C7-D9FF-4091-86B3-2486E14D99B5.jpg

img
489B8F39-1575-4A82-9E10-3F2BFE78DF43.jpg

7F92C6CE-B37C-4DB6-889F-C9E498E59D0E.jpg

7178DCCD-B0C3-4B81-B8C2-427D187A7121.jpg

You can see how nasty some of the pistons were in that last photo.

JCam550

Terminator Fanatic
Established Member
I feel your pain! I bought a beautiful 1993 Notch with a built 331 and a vortech. Kid told me the head gaskets had just been done right before I bought it. (That should have turned a light on in my head). Take it to the dyno and check the tune. Put up just shy of 500 rwhp (he dumped out early). My tuner told me that it was pushing too much boost and to get a larger pully. It was also running way lean due to a bad fuel pump. I changed the pump and pulleyed up. Retuned it to 440 rwhp. A week later, I notice coolant blowing out the overflow when I get into boost. Pulled heads. Found 2 pistons with chunks missing and the heads were warped. Previous owner must have seen the chunks missing when he "did the head gaskets" and decided to dump the car. Luckily the block and rotating assembly was unharmed. Full motor rebuild after owning the car for 2 weeks. People suck!

oldmodman

Established Member
Since I have a boroscope I went with a friend to look at a car he was going to make an offer on. And the owner refused to let me pull the plugs and scope the cylinders. So we walked. A couple of months later my friend saw the car at a local shop. It was in for a new engine. The seller absolutely KNEW the engine was toast. The car's new owner had taken the sellers lies at face value and was taking him to court to try and recover some of his money.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Damn I'm sorry to hear what happened. I feel it's truly impossible to trust anyone nowadays. Especially buying a modded car.

cmnorman

Established Member
For sure, are you actually in Ft Mill? I live about an hour north in Rowan County NC. ProDyno is building my car down there in SC.

Users who are viewing this thread