Dyno Results- Boss Intake Manifold to Cobra Jet Intake Manifold

JohnRichard

MT82 Speed Shiftin Maniac
Established Member
Welcome to the world of Normally Aspirated engines. Cobra jet adds about 20HP and 7tq so really ignore the HP and just look its only 7/450 = 1.5% improvement.. not much more than 150lb weight save would get you the same thing.

No argument from what I have seen/read, not a large gain for the buck on a Coyote, maybe a boss motor might bring one or two more on torque...

I have wasted more on less rated cool factor ideas...

I keep telling myself it is the gate way to twin turbos.

Last edited:

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
No argument from what I have seen, not a large gain for the buck on a Coyote, maybe a boss motor might bring one or two more on torque...

I wouldn't call the CJ intake setup a cool factor idea. It's just another setup that requires some work and different pieces to get it down the track.

Are you going to have to put a cage it in now? I thought it was an 11.45 that you had to put in a cage.

I added the maximum motorsports 6 point cage and stifflers DS safety loop after my boss setup went 11.5's. I wanted the car to be legal wherever I chose to run it at.

Last edited:

JohnRichard

Established Member
I wouldn't call the CJ intake setup a cool factor idea. It's just another setup that requires some work and different pieces to get it down the track.
Well you have already lost... N/A is not worth the money to get you down the track, you need something that is going to get you to one or two more atmospheres prior to compression.

Last edited:

pickles

Established Member
How does the clutch feel? I'm curious if maybe it's slipping just a tiny bit.

My car seems to mph a lot lower than others with similar mods as well.. Not too sure why.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Well you have already lost... N/A is not worth the money to get you down the track, you need something that is going to get you to one or two more atmospheres prior to compression.

So you came in this thread to explain what? :shrug:

How does the clutch feel? I'm curious if maybe it's slipping just a tiny bit.

My car seems to mph a lot lower than others with similar mods as well.. Not too sure why.

Its funny you mentioned the clutch feel, a couple of the runs today I felt on my 1-2 and 3-4 shift's that it felt like it was slipping a little bit. Also felt on the return road some chattering in the pedal but didn't really think about it.

Last edited:

SCalla1384

Established Member

Exactly! Btw, I'll be doing the same springs/shocks aswell. Seen nothing but good things.

Any douche bag can bolt a supercharger on or pay a shop to do it.

Running a fast time NA takes more then just bolting parts on, and is more impressive. A coyote with boost is expected to be fast. An NA coyote that's running low 11's high 10's at 120-125+ Stands out more IMO.

JohnRichard

Established Member
This started the conversation
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedneck View Post
Welcome to the world of Normally Aspirated engines. Cobra jet adds about 20HP and 7tq so really ignore the HP and just look its only 7/450 = 1.5% improvement.. not much more than 150lb weight save would get you the same thing.
then I posted
No argument from what I have seen/read, not a large gain for the buck on a Coyote, maybe a boss motor might bring one or two more on torque...

Then you commented on my cool factor statement... then I replied saying NA is very expensive and not really worth the money for what you get... or that is how it should have read but it sounds like it did not. and then the whole point was lost... where and how I have no idea...
have some more whiskey guy... its a mustang forum not a battle ground

Last edited:

SCalla1384

Established Member
This started the conversation
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedneck View Post
then I posted

Then you commented on my cool factor statement... then I replied saying NA is very expensive and not really worth the money for what you get... or that is how it should have read but it sounds like it did not. and then the whole point was lost... where and how I have no idea...
have some more whiskey guy... its a mustang forum not a battle ground

Wtf? You drunk bro?

JohnRichard

Established Member
No... Not tonight... if its not free, it gets into my mod money...
And seeing that I am having a N/A HP efficiency discussion and cost per HP increase...
To be fair, the track, my local drag strip, just 3.9 mile drive from my house... Last summer I seen DA's over 9800 feet... So yes here, local for me. it is a hell of a lot cheaper to go FI for your HP adder cost to run in the 10s versus N/A... People that put blowers on their cars and run mid 11s at half the DA i deal with, I wonder WTF?...

Maybe after I add all this SCJ stuff to my car... I might run in the 11s... I run low 12s now.

Sorry I made you angry... its like dealing with the Boss purest... Now I have to deal with the N/A purest.

Last edited:

goat-ee

Established Member
QUESTION? Does a CJ or Boss intake make sense on an auto car if I don't put a high stall torque converter or headers? And the car is a daily driver (6k miles/year).

SCalla1384

Established Member
QUESTION? Does a CJ or Boss intake make sense on an auto car if I don't put a high stall torque converter or headers? And the car is a daily driver (6k miles/year).

Look at wbt's car. He's running what? 10.8 @ 125+

So yea, id say boss intake is worth it. Plenty of people have had success with it.

scotmach

Established Member
Look at wbt's car. He's running what? 10.8 @ 125+

So yea, id say boss intake is worth it. Plenty of people have had success with it.

Yes WBT's car is fast with the Boss intake but with the corresponding parts. goat-ee already stated he didn't want to install a converter so the Boss intake with stock gears/converter may not be the best combo in his situation.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Yes WBT's car is fast with the Boss intake but with the corresponding parts. goat-ee already stated he didn't want to install a converter so the Boss intake with stock gears/converter may not be the best combo in his situation.

I completely agree, for a setup to work properly it needs all corresponding mods.

EJR

Established Member
Dont be too beat up on MPH. The biggest difference between super fast cars of the same mods, and other cars... is the track. My car has 2-3mph left in it just by making it work efficiently. If i drove down to atco or cecil, id instantly gain 3-4 mph. My friends have done it. Every single car the went from NED to Cecil, gained 3-4mph.

As far as the cobra jet talk. Did you make more power? Yes? Then thats not the problem. 20whp is very easy to over compensate for with atmosphere changes, track changes, wind direction changes, short shifts, etc.

Just tail wind VS head wind alone, is a couple mph. Then there is whether or not the track is sloped up or down hill. Then theres DA, theres also the water grain count in the air that DA does not take into consideration. The higher the water grain count, the less power you make.

The only reason your mph is fluctuating so much, is you have an NA stick car. Lots of room for air to manipulate the power, and lots of room for driver error (not a dig, just a fact about stick cars).

Just keep at it... keep driving it....Also, what clutch are you running?

Last edited:

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Dont be too beat up on MPH. The biggest difference between super fast cars of the same mods, and other cars... is the track. My car has 2-3mph left in it just by making it work efficiently. If i drove down to atco or cecil, id instantly gain 3-4 mph. My friends have done it. Every single car the went from NED to Cecil, gained 3-4mph.

As far as the cobra jet talk. Did you make more power? Yes? Then thats not the problem. 20whp is very easy to over compensate for with atmosphere changes, track changes, wind direction changes, short shifts, etc.

Just tail wind VS head wind alone, is a couple mph. Then there is whether or not the track is sloped up or down hill. Then theres DA, theres also the water grain count in the air that DA does not take into consideration. The higher the water grain count, the less power you make.

The only reason your mph is fluctuating so much, is you have an NA stick car. Lots of room for air to manipulate the power, and lots of room for driver error (not a dig, just a fact about stick cars).

Just keep at it... keep driving it....Also, what clutch are you running?

Yea I just need to keep at it. Ill be back out in 2 weekends and see where I am at. Im running the stock clutch.

SCalla1384

Established Member

Your right, I totally missed that. Without a converter, I'd stick with the stock intake.

Users who are viewing this thread