Dynatech high flow cat failure be aware!

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Yes .. I Heed the Warning....Thank you ... With 750 at the crank with street conservative 91/93 tunes ...... no track .... so no cats will last long enough without worry...... Unless with n/c ..... everyone else is in line for failure.....???? OUCH

I've got the FR750 hp 2.9 Whipple with the Ford tune and totally stock exhaust with the exception of Borla-S mufflers. I drive my car hard and have no worries about my cats failing. When I was getting ready to swap blowers, I called and spoke with the guys at Ford Racing and SVT. They both talked about an '11 they had with the FR750 kit that they have driven hard for 30,000 miles and it showed no signs of cat problems. Heat is a killer of cats (high boost can too). Their tune keeps the cats cool.

Blackmax

Established Member
I've got the FR750 hp 2.9 Whipple with the Ford tune and totally stock exhaust with the exception of Borla-S mufflers. I drive my car hard and have no worries about my cats failing. When I was getting ready to swap blowers, I called and spoke with the guys at Ford Racing and SVT. They both talked about an '11 they had with the FR750 kit that they have driven hard for 30,000 miles and it showed no signs of cat problems. Heat is a killer of cats (high boost can too). Their tune keeps the cats cool.

What pulley do you run on your Whipple and whats your lower?

Speedboosted

Established Member

Any decent tune has cat protection...I don't think that is what the issue is here.

enormous

Established Member
I have read about Dynatech cats failing most often. Did anyone here have a Stainless Works cat fail? I hear that they are better quality.

tvspower

Established Member
ok my history 60k kms ....2 tunes Evo s/1 ran 30k kms ..then vmp stripper 29k kms all stock cats with sensors on>>>>> Now p/s failing with no light on.... Therefore...since researching.....will try Magnaflow .... Any neg results about Magnaflow Cats????

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Aftermarket cats, in a word, suck for high power applications. ALL of them. I've seen every brand fail. It's simple, in the aftermarket they have zero need to be compliant with any federal mandate. They also aren't liable for any sort of long term warranty as the OEM is.

Dynatech has a high boost/high power unit that was specifically designed for supercharged cars. Call them at (800) 848-5850 x 6254.

Calibrations:

I have NO idea what the mom and pop places with a dyno (or not) do with their tunes, but there is no reason at all to turn off anything in the tune unless the client specifically asks for it.
We certainly don't. The cat protection is the OEM's stuff. We don't change it.

So, the issue is boost and power, plain and simple. They just won't hold up. None of them. You'll need to buy something specific to your needs (see Dynatech above) Which is the reason why I ask everyone that orders a catted pipe if it's a must for them locally. If not, save your dough. Or do as Tob suggested, just weld the stock ones in.

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Tob ...I need to pass emissions in Canada and after 60kms p/s cat is failing.... Having s/maniford and H pipe and KR 's... Do you mean to gut the s/c ..ie..hollow out ? My problem is I need the sensors on to pass... I am not into changing back/forth.. So are you saying there is no product to use to pass and enjoy the power level without worry.... NO TRACK .... My ride is at BPS ... and this is a factor with are dealing with...... Any ideas????

I was simply suggesting using a cut up stock cat as opposed to a typical "high flow" aftermarket cat. Stock cats fail too but the threshold appears to be a bit higher for them as their construction is far more robust, at the cost of flow anyway.

nxhappy

Established Member
yup. Cats are bad mmmmmk. Just throw them in the trash. You are lucky my friend.

Users who are viewing this thread