Dual heat exchangers

racebronco2

Established Member
Check out these notes on dropping the pump voltage to improve cooling:

Mezeire intercooler pump

I read that before. We have no idea how his h/e system compares to ours. I used two h/e with no change in temps. Only when i went with the mezeire did the temps drop 20*. I have no data but what i have heard is the stock pump flows 8gph and the mezeire flows 20gph. I now have a vw dual pass radiator that i am using for an h/e that i will be testing this weekend at big willow. I will use the 3.50 pulley and the 3.25 pulley.

It's really hard to believe that van's h/e system can get temps around 130* on track in 90* degree weather. I only have one more idea to try after this event and i am out of idea's.

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
How much was Van boosting for 130* IAT's?? I have datalogs on my setup with 18psi and 90 degree humid weather, as well as water temps after WOT pulls.. But no way would I run 18psi on the track.. I'm overspinning my blower as it is.. I also have how long it took to cool down back to a normal level

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
How much was Van boosting for 130* IAT's?? I have datalogs on my setup with 18psi and 90 degree humid weather, as well as water temps after WOT pulls.. But no way would I run 18psi on the track.. I'm overspinning my blower as it is.. I also have how long it took to cool down back to a normal level

Here vis his quote
Shelby GT500 at 16 lbs of boost with an AFCO dual pass heat exchanger at Sebring during a 25 minute time trial session. Average IAT2 170 degrees. Spark Advance retard to 7 degrees of timing. Testing done during the month of August 2008. Ambient temperature 92 degrees.

Shelby GT500 at 16 lbs of boost with a C&R Dual Pass Dual Puller Fan Heat Exchanger at Sebring during 25 minute time trial session. Average IAT2 is 130 degrees. No spark advance retard at 19 degrees of timing. Testing done during the month of September 2008. Ambient temperature 95 degrees.

I believe this is on his 3.4 whipple at around 700rwhp.
Here is the link.http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/shelby-gt500-150/668763-heat-exchangers.html

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I read that before. We have no idea how his h/e system compares to ours. I used two h/e with no change in temps. Only when i went with the mezeire did the temps drop 20*. I have no data but what i have heard is the stock pump flows 8gph and the mezeire flows 20gph. I now have a vw dual pass radiator that i am using for an h/e that i will be testing this weekend at big willow. I will use the 3.50 pulley and the 3.25 pulley.

It's really hard to believe that van's h/e system can get temps around 130* on track in 90* degree weather. I only have one more idea to try after this event and i am out of idea's.

I think part of it is that the GT500 cooling systems are plumbed a lot better than our Cobras.

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
I think part of it is that the GT500 cooling systems are plumbed a lot better than our Cobras.

I think so to. We modded many GT500s and not one of them has cooling problems. not even the 1000hp car, behaves just like any 600hp car when it comes to cooling.

I'm by no means a pro when it comes to cooling, but the direct and simple way my cooling system works without thermostat and better flow due to the larger inlet together with the Gords dual fan unit seems to do very well despite the crappy inefficient badly ported Eaton.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I think he run a LC KB blower which might help with intake charges, that and he probalby wasn't spinning the blower at all at 16psi which helps a ton!! I know with my car making 18psi and the fact that I'm overspinning doesn't help with heat.. But it only got up to 150 on a 3rd and 4th gear pull in 90 degree weather..

racebronco2

Established Member
I think he run a LC KB blower which might help with intake charges, that and he probalby wasn't spinning the blower at all at 16psi which helps a ton!! I know with my car making 18psi and the fact that I'm overspinning doesn't help with heat.. But it only got up to 150 on a 3rd and 4th gear pull in 90 degree weather..

He also said his testing was on a 3.4 whipple. Both were at 17psi in the post.

racebronco2

Established Member

I don't think it's in the plumbing. Ford would not have redesigned the cooling system from the other 4v engines. Yes they might have moved a few things around for pacakaging like the water pump outlet. I talked to paul brown and he says there is no difference in cooling.

I know the grill opening is much larger therefor better cooling. I remember in a few grand am races the hoods were buckling because of the air pressure underneath them. I know of at least one car in which the hood flew off. I remember there was a post on one of the forums that said do not open the grill area because off the excess pressure under the hood.

I think so to. We modded many GT500s and not one of them has cooling problems. not even the 1000hp car, behaves just like any 600hp car when it comes to cooling.

I'm by no means a pro when it comes to cooling, but the direct and simple way my cooling system works without thermostat and better flow due to the larger inlet together with the Gords dual fan unit seems to do very well despite the crappy inefficient badly ported Eaton.

Not very many cars will have cooling problems in germany when the temps are 30*-80* and average around 55*. Where me and 03 DSG snake run temps could be as low as 30* (rare) and over 105* in the summertime and average is about 85*. That's why cooling is so critical for us. With the stock cooling system i never had a cooling issue in temps below about 75*.

Last edited:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I know the grill opening is much larger therefor better cooling.

Problem solved. :beer:

AIT-FM9905BMCK3.jpg

racebronco2

Established Member
I've seen one of those on the street, had to take a second look. Wanted to take a better look but it was going the other direction.

desert_gypsy

Headbutting the horizon
Established Member
bump for cooler temp data from the track. tons of great info in here so far. :beer:

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
I didn't make this weekend event because of a family emergency. I did do some more data logging. In 62* weather my ait2's were 100*, in 66* weather they were 102*. This was cruising on the freeway at 75-80mph.

racebronco2

Established Member
Well in search of lower temps i know have a vw radiator that i am using for a h/e and it seemed like it was about equal to the dual h/e at least on the street. I was not happy with the temps on the street so i added another h/e in the rear of the car. It's mounted between the gas tank and the bumper cover. So far it seems very promising. In 98* temps on the freeway ait2's were only 120*.

I have read that one very respected member saying that the sensor gets heat soaked. In my experience he is correct. I did some city driving in which the ait2's were 125* in the city but once i stopped and let it sit for a few minutes the ait2's went up to 148* but came down to 138* within a block. A little more city driving and they dropped down to 130*. Stopped again but this time the temps only came down to 140*. I let the car idle at home and temps went up to 150* but the actual water temp was only 115*. It seems like every time i let the car sit while doing errands it never goes down to the temp it was previous at. I did the pass thru datalogs with my sct tuner and my pc.

I am going to the track this weekend so i should be able to get plenty of data.

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
Me and a friend went to buttonwillow, we both have whipples......................................................................
dual heat exchangers.................................................................................................................................
outside temps...................pulley..............iat2's----------------------------------------------------------------60*..................................15 psi ............152*-----------------------------------------------------------------
87*..................................15psi..............172*-----------------------------------------------------------------
87*..................................13psi..............152*-----------------------------------------------------------------

single heat exchanger at 15psi........iat2's....................................................................................................
60* using only 4th gear...................172*.....................................................................................
87* using only 4th gear....................187*.....................................................................................................
87* using 3rd and 4th gear...............220*.....................................................................................................
Here is a sample of the sessions when i was driving. http://youtu.be/5C5PpKWvRsM

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread