Dual heat exchangers

racebronco2

Established Member
Damn.. I just got my C&R installed today.. That thing is crazy with cooling so far in this AL heat..

Could you please post up some data so that other with your same set-up will get some good info. I have done some cruising on the freeway and some open track runs. The more data the better we can figure out how well the h/e works.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
No problem man.. The weather is looking amazing this coming week, no chance of rain at all. I'll get my buddies handheld Tuesday when we work, then I'll do some logging on wends-friday :). The weather looks to be in the mid 80's and humid so it'll be putting it to the test.

I won't have stuff like intercooler water temps pre and bost intercooler, but I will have IAT 2's for you.

racebronco2

Established Member
Just got back from cruising on the freeway. At 75mph ait1's were 91*, ait2's were 120*. Intercooler temps going in were 135* and out were 125*.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
damn i really have to figure out whats up with my setup... im running 50* to 55* more from iat1 to iat2. I'm going to try to box in the I/c, radiator and also go to home depot and make a bigger dam under the I/C and see how much of a difference that makes

Last edited:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I did check the flow in the reservoir and it looks just like it before the added heat exchanger. From what the engineer told me is that if you run the h/e in a series the restriction does go up but if you run them in paralell the restriction goes down and the flow increases which in turn is able to pull more heat out of the intercooler. I did check out the heat differences between the two heat exchangers at idle and the temps in and out are almost exactly the same.

He is correct provided the pump and lines can produce the GPH/GPM needed in paralell.

Just useing round numbers here but,
If max flow on the pump system is 3 GPM and you get that with 1 H/E then adding another in paralell will split that flow and you will only get 1.5 through each if they are split evenly. If you can get 6 GPM through the pump and lines then you can get 3 to each.

I have an idea for a dual system but it would need a seperate tank and pump system which after filling would probably add 20-40lbs on the car.
Not many want to do that but the 2nd H/E would be a small shell/tube water to water exchanger.

racebronco2

Established Member
He is correct provided the pump and lines can produce the GPH/GPM needed in paralell.

Just useing round numbers here but,
If max flow on the pump system is 3 GPM and you get that with 1 H/E then adding another in paralell will split that flow and you will only get 1.5 through each if they are split evenly. If you can get 6 GPM through the pump and lines then you can get 3 to each.

I have an idea for a dual system but it would need a seperate tank and pump system which after filling would probably add 20-40lbs on the car.
Not many want to do that but the 2nd H/E would be a small shell/tube water to water exchanger.

I did add a mezeire intercooler pump which flows 20gph compared to the stock pump at 8gph. Once i added the bigger pump the temps did decrease by 20*.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I did add a mezeire intercooler pump which flows 20gph compared to the stock pump at 8gph. Once i added the bigger pump the temps did decrease by 20*.

Makes sense.

If you were 8GPH through 2 would split 4 and 4 providing the split is equal.
If 1 were mounted higher than the other the hiher one would most likely flow more since the head pressure back to the tank is less.
Liquid will take the path of least resistance.
With a 20GPH pump providing you are getting all 20 GPH through the lines you are splitting 10 each and it will be more efficient.

I would love to test my water to water one but someone would have to be willing to,
1. Trunk mount a seperate tank and pump.
2. Plumb water lines up to engine bay.
3. Mount exchanger in engine bay.
4. Tap into I/C inlet line to the I/C.

Alot of work for a test but I think it would keep more constant and lower temps.
I have the exchanger already

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
The ait2's and the ambient temps would be good.

Ok cool. I know that on my car we didn't have ait2's sensors because we weren't blown.. I know that my ait1 sensor is moved to the intake manifold to measure ait2s lol.. I will also get the ambient temps that day too :)

racebronco2

Established Member
Makes sense.

If you were 8GPH through 2 would split 4 and 4 providing the split is equal.
If 1 were mounted higher than the other the hiher one would most likely flow more since the head pressure back to the tank is less.
Liquid will take the path of least resistance.
With a 20GPH pump providing you are getting all 20 GPH through the lines you are splitting 10 each and it will be more efficient.

I would love to test my water to water one but someone would have to be willing to,
1. Trunk mount a seperate tank and pump.
2. Plumb water lines up to engine bay.
3. Mount exchanger in engine bay.
4. Tap into I/C inlet line to the I/C.

Alot of work for a test but I think it would keep more constant and lower temps.
I have the exchanger already

A friend mounted one in his trunk. Thought it would work for open tracking. Before he actually used it he talked to an engineer buddy about it. He gave the engineer the specs on it, he did the calculations on it and found out it would only work for 8 minutes.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
A friend mounted one in his trunk. Thought it would work for open tracking. Before he actually used it he talked to an engineer buddy about it. He gave the engineer the specs on it, he did the calculations on it and found out it would only work for 8 minutes.

I find that hard to believe.
Do you guys start out with ice water in the I/C tank?

racebronco2

Established Member

No. It would be a waste of time. It wouldn't last very long. We have no way of draining the stock tank. In my car i couldn't use it anyways because i carry one of my track tires in the trunk.

A friend's car went on the dyon whom had a big intercooler ice box in his trunk. Jusr for the dyno session which lasted about an hour, it took 8 bags of ice.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Ok so I did some datalogging last night. I'm going to disconnect the fans tonight and see if there is a difference. I should have some data tonight to post up :)

racebronco2

Established Member

Well he is the ceo of a company that make heat exchangers for heart attack patients, the elevated blood temperature after a heart attack causes more damage. No, that would be a waste of time. It wouldn't last more then a couple of minutes on track. We both have the stock reservoir.

Last edited:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Well he is the ceo of a company that make heat exchangers for heart attack patients, the elevated blood temperature after a heart attack causes more damage. No, that would be a waste of time. It wouldn't last more then a couple of minutes on track. We both have the stock reservoir.

It will depend on specs in most cases.

I deal with engineers all day and work with heat exchanges for a living also.

From a couple OZs a minute to 52,000Gal per minute. Chiller machines that cool process fluids to -65°, etc...

We will see if my idea will work and how long it will last. I have someone willing to test it.

racebronco2

Established Member
It will depend on specs in most cases.

I deal with engineers all day and work with heat exchanges for a living also.

From a couple OZs a minute to 52,000Gal per minute. Chiller machines that cool process fluids to -65°, etc...

We will see if my idea will work and how long it will last. I have someone willing to test it.

Keep us posted on the results.

racebronco2

Established Member
Today did some testing on the new set-up. In 100 degree weather in traffic mty ait1's were 100* and ait2's were 131*. Inlet into the heat exchanger temps were 150* and out were 135*. Cruising on the freeway ait2's were 96* and ait2's were 128*. Inlet into the heat exchanger were 153* and outlet was 140*. Will be at the track this weekend so i will see what the temps are with this set-up.

Users who are viewing this thread