Drove the KB Cobra from FL to it's new TX home, now it's throwing codes, input please

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Guys,
Just drove the KB Cobra from FL to it's new home in Texas where I'll be going to school.
Let me tell ya, it's hot as Hell here and I'm thinking that's why I had/having issues!
As soon as I got it to my new place, it started throwing codes. But is running great, haven't boosted it though because of the following.
The SCT handheld read the following:

P0171 Sys Too Lean 1
P0174 Sys Too Lean 2

I have reset them, and they come back on with no boost obviously.
The car has a new Motorcraft battery about 1 month ago and a reman Ford Alternator about a year ago (10,0000) miles
With the car running and no accessories on I get 13.4 reading. It drops with accessories.
Oreilley Auto Parts says it's the Alt...

I'm guessing it's the alternator again, as the radio cuts off at times. I'm guessing the fuel pumps aren't getting enough juice?

Please give me some input thanks as the car does have a BAP with Lethal Wire upgrade, but the fuse is good,
Joe

Last edited:

AznStanger3v

King of the LOL
Established Member
Your alternator is taking a dump, but to double check, put a dmm on the back of it just to check the output voltage of it. I'm new to the cobra world, but was an automotive technician for 5 years before I joined the military. I've never heard of a car's fuel pumps not acting right because of the alternator. you gotta understand that it doesn't need 14+ volts to run it. I'm sure many people here will say datalog, and I'd be in agreeance with them. You could also have the a/f ratio checked at your nearest tuner. Good luck man

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Your alternator is taking a dump, but to double check, put a dmm on the back of it just to check the output voltage of it. I'm new to the cobra world, but was an automotive technician for 5 years before I joined the military. I've never heard of a car's fuel pumps not acting right because of the alternator. you gotta understand that it doesn't need 14+ volts to run it. I'm sure many people here will say datalog, and I'd be in agreeance with them. You could also have the a/f ratio checked at your nearest tuner. Good luck man

Thanks for the input...with the DMM the alternator is supporting the accessories, but I think it can change at any given time, such as WOT, or when the radio turns on and off by itself, lol...I'm thinking alternator is toast again...sucks

mach1033

Established Member
If it is your alternator then have you considered a start and charge unit? That is what I am going with once my motor is done.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Hey Joe, log your fpdc, volts and pump volts. Also maybe check for vac leaks, and clean the maf.
EDIT: When's the last time you changed the fuel filter?

Last edited:

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Hey Joe, log your fpdc, volts and pump volts. Also maybe check for vac leaks, and clean the maf.
EDIT: When's the last time you changed the fuel filter?

Thanks for the input...Unfortunately, I have never gotten smart enough to figure out how to data log with my XCal2...
My boost/vac gauge is reading fine as normal. Fuel filter has been changed in the past year. Like I said the car runs fine...hmmm

hotcobra03

Established Member
have the battery terminals been changed?

as to codes being your getting both banks i m thinking vaccum leak which could also be part of the voltage problem

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
have the battery terminals been changed?

Negative,
as to codes being your getting both banks I'm thinking vaccum leak which could also be part of the voltage problem

Yep I cleared them and drove to the gym and back and they came up again.
P0171 Sys Too Lean 1
P0174 Sys Too Lean 2

My idle vac is 20-22 like it always is hmmm...All my lines look fine and like I said the car idles and drives like normal.

Well, perhaps I have 2 conflicting/issues here...Bad alternator as the car radio cuts on and off a few days ago and a poss vacuum leak.
I would like to know if a bad alternator could cause these lean codes and not just a vacuum leak?

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Found some more info from hotcobra03 posting in another thread...

P0171 - System to Lean (Bank 1) The Adaptive Fuel Strategy continuously monitors fuel delivery hardware. The test fails when the adaptive fuel tables reach a rich calibrated limit. Refer to Section 1 , Powertrain Control Software, Fuel Trim for more information. Air Measurement System
MAF sensor (contaminated, damaged, malfunctioning, etc.)
Fuel System
Fuel pressure regulator (leaking, malfunctioning, etc.).
Fuel filter plugged, dirty.
Fuel pump (weak, check valve leaking, etc.).
Leaking/contaminated fuel injectors.
Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel.
EVAP canister purge valve leaking (when canister is "clean").
Fuel supply line restricted.
Fuel rail pressure sensor (incorrect reading).
Air Induction System
Air leaks after the MAF.
Vacuum Leaks.
PCV system (leak, valve stuck open, etc.)
Improperly seated engine oil dipstick.
Exhaust System
Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2Ss (exhaust manifold gasket, mating gaskets, etc.)..
EGR System
EGR valve tube/gasket leak
EVR solenoid vacuum leak
Secondary Air Injection
Damaged/malfunctioning secondary air injection system (mechanically stuck valve).
View Freeze Frame Data to determine operating conditions when DTC was set. Observe LONGFT1 and 2 PID(s). Refer to Section 2 , Adaptive Fuel DTCs Diagnostic Techniques for more in
P0174 - System to Lean (Bank 2) The Adaptive Fuel Strategy continuously monitors the fuel delivery hardware. The test fails when the adaptive fuel tables reach a rich calibrated limit. Refer to Section 1 , Powertrain Control Software, Fuel Trim for more information. See Possible Causes for DTC P0171. See Diagnostic Aides for DTC P0171

ramstein

Established Member
How about a vacuum leak. What school PA? ARNP? CRNA? or MD?

Last edited:

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Couldn't find the software that I need for my XCal2 or computer...anybody have a more exact link?
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread