Drove the Cobra -- '99 Owners I need your help!

Trade my 02 GT STRAIGHT for this 99 Cobra

• HELL YES! I would definately straight trade an 02 GT for this cobra!

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • HELL NO! You could not pay me to take this car

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Eh...i would do the trade if i could get the dealer to fix it a little

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Undecided...waiting to hear more about the deal

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Udtbadkarma

Established Member
well...still waiting to see what the dealer says to me when he calls me on wed or thurs. If he gives me a deal i can't refuse, i wont :)

But yeah this snake has seen some action. My decision as of now is 95% NOT BUYING her, and sayin: "PEACE OUT!" :burnout: :burnout:

(god i love that smiley, wish i had it on AIM) :)

Last edited:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
lightning_2000 said:
i say sale ur gt and save up for a real snake
a 03 or 04

bah, bandwagon. 99/01 are real snakes just not the precious Terminator.

I had my Terminator and yes i loved it. I don't have any less fun with my 99 Cobra.

manystangs

SVT Poster
Established Member
DON"T BUY THAT PIECE OF CRAP. I am very picky and I wouldn't think of buying it. Don't rush into this, it sounds like you have a nice solid GT so just wait until you find one you love. Why trade a reliable car for something that may not last all that long?

Lightning_2000
Real stang??? Go take you pick up truck back to the L forum....We don't need you uninformed negative comments here. "sale ur GT", I would have typed "sell your GT", but that is just me.

Last edited:

CobraG

Established Member
Torch10th said:
bah, bandwagon. 99/01 are real snakes just not the precious Terminator.

I had my Terminator and yes i loved it. I don't have any less fun with my 99 Cobra.

Agreed, I just double checked, I don't remember seeing that as an option on the pole.
We get jacked a lot in here by people who do not even own a 99/01 Cobra coming in with their opinions.
I don't know why but it aggrivates me, I don't go into other peoples forums saying do this do that :mj:

chuckstang

Established Member
Udtbadkarma said:
well it would be an even swap my car for that car....i wouldn't put a dime towards it.

But i'll probably wait it out and shop around some more. Kinda sucks because i wont be able to afford another one for like 8 years hahah. Just thought i would take advantage of the fact that i can even swap now. Next year my car wont be worth much, and a year after that and a year after that...:nonono:

I'm EXTREMELY picky though and wont get a car unless its black on black...needless to say its hard finding a black on black Cobra...then add in: one that is in good condition.

And to however said it before: no i have *0* experience with driving other clutches, i am used to my springy GT clutch and that is it. I also have never driven a car with a failing clutch...so thats why i think the cobra clutch was wierd. Either because it WAS failing, or because i wasn't used to it.

Anyone previously own a GT and now a cobra? are the stock clutches supposed to be the same? I'd imagine they were, thats why i said the cobra clutch was failing. A failing clutch at 45k miles on the cobra isn't a good sign either :nonono:

time to hit auto-trader all summer until i can find another one i guess...
I haven't fully decided..guess i'll see what the dealer says about the trade.

I just can't help but feel my GT is inadequate, and modding it seems almsot useless, i need the 4v :burnout: hehehe

You seem like you were in the same postion as me 3 years ago when I found my black/black 99. I went with mine cause I loved it so much, but it needed some work but not nearly as much as this one, and Im a perfectionist as well. I say only go for it if they give it to you dirt cheap, ehhh under $10k. Well, if I can get into a gt500 when they come up, Ill send you a pm and sell you mine :beer:
But youll luv it, the 99 is alot of fun :rockon:

DRTHV8R

I am your father.
Established Member
Udtbadkarma said:
Oh yeah, here is another problem i forgot about:

- the hood of the car wont close very well. it takes a few tries before the hood actually closes. The dealer managed to close it after a few tries, but im a mechanic and i couldn't even find out how to close it. Clearly the latch is broken or on its way out. Another thing i'd have him fix before we traded....

Likelyhood of an even trade is going down, there is no WAY he'd be willing to fix all this shit lol

Retail for his cobra is: $13,450 though and my GT retail is: $15,000. So maybe its in his interested to put 500 in repairs so he can make a profit off my car. Guess we'll see...

i had the same problem when i first got my cobra .. but i ended up figuring out u have to drop the hood from a higher point then a normal car being the hood might be a bit lighter.. worked for me everytime after that

DRTHV8R

I am your father.
Established Member
and i must add .. i got my 99 cobra for just a lil under 14,500 it was beat to hell as well .. with 50,000+ miles ..i had the same ammount of dings .. similar scratch in the rear .. 2 weeks after getting the car my transmission went to hell..i had leaky cats .. i have to commute 45 min's to work .. i drove my car for 2 months with these problems till i accumilated enough money to rent a car while it was in the shop .. all i can say is i smoked every car who tried to get crazy with me while my car was on life support and when i got it back from the shop i was overwhelmed with how much power and how the car drove when it wa sin full force.. i say go with it .. theres nothing better knowing your one of several people to be on the road driving a snake..

Udtbadkarma

Established Member
chuckstang said:
no offense but ur gt is not worth $15k

I rounded a tiny bit. Check KBB. And check all the dealer lots for 02 GTs with my mileage, i garauntee they are going for $15k. NOW, whether YOU would pay that or not is a different story, but retail is high 14k atm. And i also said he could turn around and sell my car for 13-14k fast cash, which is true, beign that its 1-2k under retail atm.

I bet i could sell my car for $14k (maybe a tiny bit more because i'd throw in all the stock parts + more) but I GARAUNTEE i could sell my car for $13k right now and it'd be gone in under a week.

...this is of course, off topic and irrelevant though

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
not irrelevent really. trading sux. sell your car for what you just said $14k because that would be awsome, then either find a good 99 for about $12.5k or save up and buy/finance a 03/04 for $25k depending on how much money you make of course.
If he will sell it for around $10k and you really really must have it, the way I did my 99 way back when...go for it, and just fix it up :)

Udtbadkarma

Established Member
Well i've said a few times on the other pages that i have no extra cash, so i can't finance an 03/04 Cobra, nor do i have the luxury of selling my car while i wait to find another. Because i need her as a daily driver.

So its straight trade or bust :) I'm fine with either.

I'll keep you posted on whats goin on, haven't heard much from the dealer yet.

KingSnake99

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Hope you hear from the dealer soon, im anxious to see what they tell you next-- if you feel you are getting the runaround from the dealer then you should pass it up--i hate when they try to do that--

Rule 1: The DEALER NEVER LOSES!
Meaning that he is making money or he won't sell the car--

AS far as the trade, i hope it all goes well, Cobras are icons and legends, and you do not have to have the 03 to take advantage- I would suggest however and everyone on this board when they bought their snakes-- if the car is meant for you then you will get it-- some how some way it happens-- i know there are lost of members who as fate would have it fell into a cobra as well as members who tried every resource they could to get one--and finally did-- Im trying to say don't give up hope, there are other cars out there and this isn't the last cobra for sale-- If you have to wait it out a little bit- But don't give into the dealers request for money down on your part--Good luck and keep us posted--

Udtbadkarma

Established Member
Just heard back from the dealer, this is what his e-mail said:

The Cobra Dealer said:
"My partner and i would be willing to do the trade under the following circumstances: We will replace the cobra's windshield for you, at which point you will put the stock wheels and tires back on your car and give us $1,500 in trade for the cobra."

Can we say: yeah, no thanks :)

I told him NO WAY. And added, i would trade if he did this: gave me all the parts i need, new brakes, rotors, pads, windshield, clutch, TOB. I would stil need new tires, but i let him slide on that as well as the rear outside damage. So basically all i would need (if he agrees to this) is new rear tires...but my GT needs all new tires anyway so.

I'll keep you posted but i KNOW he is going to say no to this :) hahahahahah Thanks for all your input guys.

Oh! i also found another black on black cobra out like 19 hours away from my house LOL. Its blabk on black with 69,000 miles on her :( Dealer asking $13k.

Udtbadkarma

Established Member
I think the mileage might be too high for my liking. My car has 49,000 miles on it and this Cobra far away from me for $13k has 69,000 miles on it. Even if it were in mint condition, im not sure i'd be willing to trade...

They are going to send me more pics and info later. and they want more pics and info from my car too. I still have a carfax so ill run the VIN later.

Also, this new 99 cobra with the 69k miles is 19 hours away from me, in Springfield, MO =(

Users who are viewing this thread