Drove the Cobra -- '99 Owners I need your help!

Trade my 02 GT STRAIGHT for this 99 Cobra

• HELL YES! I would definately straight trade an 02 GT for this cobra!

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • HELL NO! You could not pay me to take this car

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Eh...i would do the trade if i could get the dealer to fix it a little

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Undecided...waiting to hear more about the deal

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ConsSVTCobra

ThE iNSaNE iRiSHMaN
Established Member
Udtbadkarma said:
ALSO, the seats did not have ANY runnign horse NOR cobra on them Are they supposed to on the 99 cobras?

I admit i was disappointed, i wanted to see the cobra on them :(

The Front belts do. And Ford just left the seats plain leater on the '99's. Now the floormats, BIG DEAL, $50.00 SOLD!

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Udtbadkarma said:
First off, i AM a mechanic LOL im still learning but i know what im doing =) Hey come one now. lol

...and it stalled 4x because the clutch is going on the car. I thought that was pretty obvious that that was the reasoning.

For a mechanic you ask alot of remedial questions that you should be able to answer yourself.

If the clutch is slipping the car would be harder to stall, It would rev alot easier.

The dealer is asking way to much for it, It has been beat to hell.
Stay away from that car unless you can
1. buy it for 8K
2. trade your GT for it and get all damage on the Cobra fixed and a couple grand cash back.

Udtbadkarma

Established Member
Iam a learning mechanic, but i have never driven any other mustang clutches. I've driven other cars with manuals, but they were all other randmly used cars from work and i dont test drive them, i just drive it to move it work on it, and drive it back.

I was wondering what the cobra was supposed to feel like in comparison to my GT

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
It is supposed to be stiffer.

But as I said, It should not stall easy if the clutch is slipping that bad. From what I get out of what you said it is BAD.

Those brakes are totally shot.

Man, from what I see and what you said, STAY AWAY FROM THAN CAR.

Unless- See #1 and 2 in my previous post.

19Cobra95

Banned
I say go for it man. Not too many folks will trade you a Cobra for a GT...as a matter of fact almost NONE will. This car has low miles which is awesome (run a Carfax to be sure though). Lol from how you guys talk I don't know how you ever found a car at all.

Rock chips, woo, repaint the front, big deal.

Clutch, see if he'll look into it, it might not be gone, it might just feel different to you. Put it in 4th at 20 MPH and punch it, if the RPMs go wild then its almost gone, if they dont and hold steady at like 800 rpm then its fine.

Brakes, big deal, every car goes through brakes, theyre not that expensive either.

I say go for it, you want a car you can drive anyway especially a daily that you dont have to obsess over it's condition. Trust me, I have a 95 cobra with LOW miles on it and it got all dinged up at a b-ball game and I was pissed for a week, that sucks with having a "mint" car that you have to worry about all the time, park it a mile away from buildings, etc etc

You like fixing things, so whats the problem if it needs a little TLC, plus you can learn more about your car this way. Additionally, its fun to "bring a car out of the fire" and when it's done you can be proud of it.

I say take the plunge, its a cobra, no one else will trade you and selling your car is a pain in the ass, and above all, 2Vs arent as cool as 4Vs.

But thats my opinion, do what you feel is in your best interest, no one is "making" you do this. If you feel uncomfortable, don't trade. However, from what I can see in the pictures, the car is nice, but just needs a few minor details to be 100%. I guess the decision you have now is whether you want to worry about things like that or not. Again, do what YOU feel is best and if you feel funny about the whole deal, DONT DO IT.

Last edited:

ConsSVTCobra

ThE iNSaNE iRiSHMaN
Established Member
19Cobra95 said:
I say go for it man. Not too many folks will trade you a Cobra for a GT...as a matter of fact almost NONE will. This car has low miles which is awesome (run a Carfax to be sure though). Lol from how you guys talk I don't know how you ever found a car at all.

Rock chips, woo, repaint the front, big deal.

Clutch, see if he'll look into it, it might not be gone, it might just feel different to you. Put it in 4th at 20 MPH and punch it, if the RPMs go wild then its almost gone, if they dont and hold steady at like 800 rpm then its fine.

Brakes, big deal, every car goes through brakes, theyre not that expensive either.

I say go for it, you want a car you can drive anyway especially a daily that you dont have to obsess over it's condition. Trust me, I have a 95 cobra with LOW miles on it and it got all dinged up at a b-ball game and I was pissed for a week, that sucks with having a "mint" car that you have to worry about all the time, park it a mile away from buildings, etc etc

You like fixing things, so whats the problem if it needs a little TLC, plus you can learn more about your car this way. Additionally, its fun to "bring a car out of the fire" and when it's done you can be proud of it.

I say take the plunge, its a cobra, no one else will trade you and selling your car is a pain in the ass, and above all, 2vs SUCK!

But thats my opinion, do what you feel is in your best interest, no one is "making" you do this.

I AGREE on MOST of this. But if what you say is, "take the plunge". NO THANKS! I'd rather listen to the OTHER AT LEAST 20 Comments about NOT getting this Ride.

However, like I and 19Cobra95 CAN agree on is that it's you're call and SERIOUSLY, be careful and good luck, man!

Udtbadkarma

Established Member
I am 100% NOT getting the car unless the dealer does what i want to fix it. But like i said, hes going to call me back and turn down my trade so

ILL KEEP YOU ALL POSTED LATER IN THE WEEK

19Cobra95

Banned
Also, I dont own a '99, so I dont know how the clutch feels, but id try doing the test and see what happens, it usually works well to see the life of a clutch. Just drive the car more thoroughly and make sure EVERYTHING is in working order before you make a major purchase/trade. This is YOUR responsibility as none of us can go drive the car for you and see what it needs.

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
If you can get it for the right price, I would go for it.
Like I said, your GT is worth more than that particular Cobra.

How much do you owe on your GT and how much does the dealer want for it?

FYI (and I know I posted this in your earlier thread), I paid 13.5K for my 99 2 years ago (which was less than blue book IIRC) with 45K on the clock. These cars have depreciated since then.

Don't worry about the rust on the headers - they all pretty much do that. BBK is a good brand, so those are fine.

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
DO NOT BUY THAT CAR..... it looks horrible and the list of things wrong with it + price dealer wants = A NO GO. There will be another Cobra for you maybe you'll end up driving for it like I did (drove about 3 hours) but I bought mine for 2 Grand under KBB value and it was mint (never could understand why I got it so cheap with only 20k miles on it I have a feeling its cause the seller was in WVA anddddd he was having trouble finding people to buy the car). I lucked out big time though BTW my car is black on black and I beat the piss outta my car and with 55k on the clock it doesnt even look that bad

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
patience man patience....you'll find one out there...i would run like a scalded dog from that car

Just because it was adult owned doesn't mean it was adult drivin

HIErPwRd

Established Member
i read the first page and a half and i honestly dont remember a thread growing this quickly in 1 day lol.

3 pages in like 12 hours = lots of love from the new edge fam :pepper:

cosmetically the cars hurting- as bad as it sounds that in itself would turn me away.
black can look GREAT but it can also look terrible.

theres a guy on mustangforums.com thats been trying to sell his black on black 99 for a while now, off the top of my head it has 60-70k on it.
doesnt seem to be the nicest guy to work with though imo, hes started a number of threads trying to sell the car but ends up arguing with people lol.

your either going to have to be really* patient or end up getting really fortunate to find the car your looking for if your set on black/black and youre not willing to travel.

im sure theres a number of guys on here that would be more than happy to check a car out for you in their neck of the woods, also I would always* have a car checked out by a mechanic. The gentleman I sold my car to *big shot out to DrivenVA aka Andrew* was comfortable enough with my knowledge of the car and its background along with his familiarity with these cars/basic engineering in general to not have it checked out. My car had twice the mileage that this car has and imo it looked near new and ran *perfect* minus the t45 quirks and driveline slack...

If youve got $10k+ you should be able to find a really* nice new edge cobra imo.

Hope it all works out for you :beer:

Last edited:

CobraG

Established Member
I don't know man, that car looks kind of like it has been beat on. That reminds me of when I traded my 97 GT for my 00 GT. The 00 had body damage, needed brakes and tires. All stuff I said oh I'll fix that, two years went by, same body damage, still needed brakes and tires. I just never came up with the money to fix it. I got lucky and got a good deal on a trade for my near flawless 01 Cobra, which had new tires, good brakes and no body damage.
If you have the time and money and know how then maybe do the trade, other wise I vote for passing on this one. I know how it feels to have the "car bug" though and really really wanting something. But if you do walk away that feeling of disappointment will go away in a week or so, maybe less, depends on your personality.
Your GT is nice, I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to walk away from a solid ride to an unknown ride even if it is a Cobra.
Keep in mind the money, if you don't have any to put as a down payment will you have the money to fix something if it pops up?
I'm not sure of your situation, family, school, work. I know for me, family comes first, but I'm married with two small kids. So my mods are carefully thought out, researched and planned.
Good luck, keep us posted

CobraG

Established Member
I had to vote "undecided" for right now. I think it's almost unfair to you for me to give you advice on a situation without knowing certain things you may not be willing to post. I don't know your financial situation, are you married, do you have kids, any obligations that could drain your bank account etc.
How much experience do you have turning a wrench? Can you fix the car if something were to break.
I know for me, I take my car to a shop for nearly everything, the wife and I installed the JLT RAI, but for pretty much everything else to the shop I go. I don't have the time or the know how.

99E.GreenCobra

Established Member
Udtbadkarma said:
Oh yeah, here is another problem i forgot about:

- the hood of the car wont close very well. it takes a few tries before the hood actually closes. The dealer managed to close it after a few tries, but im a mechanic and i couldn't even find out how to close it. Clearly the latch is broken or on its way out. Another thing i'd have him fix before we traded....

Likelyhood of an even trade is going down, there is no WAY he'd be willing to fix all this shit lol

Retail for his cobra is: $13,450 though and my GT retail is: $15,000. So maybe its in his interested to put 500 in repairs so he can make a profit off my car. Guess we'll see...
Sounds like you made the right decision, if the Cobra was near perfect, I'd say yes but as you know, you'd have a lot of future problems down the road ;-) providing it wont stall going down that road :lol:
PS: Since Im from Jersey and I think I may know you or your car,what dealer, Im curious :)

Udtbadkarma

Established Member
CobraG I am 7 months in to a 1 year long automotive technical school (Lincoln Technical Institute) and i work as a mechanic on the weekend in a gas station. ALSO, i have done every mod to my car in the sig below BEFORE i even went to tech school, even the headers =) All work to my car is 100% by me, even the alignment after the lowering spring install.

While you can ALWAYS learn in the automotive field, i'd say i have a pretty good technical knowledge of the basics at least, as well as some more in-depth stuff when it comes to mustangs. So yeah all work that i would be potentially doing to the cobra would be done by me, and if i needed help, my friend at the shop i work at (master tech) would help me im sure.

NB99COBRA

shut em down open up shop
Established Member
I JUST bought my 99 black on black cobra about a month ago. I didn't get too much of a chance to drive it yet because it went almost straight into winter storage. But I can tell you it's in MUCH better shape than that one. I've spent the last 4 years looking for a 99-01 cobra. They're few and far between around here...but I waited it out and I'm (so far) very happy with the one I bought. My hood it a bit of a pain to close too, I have to drop it from about a foot up, but it closes, and my 04 Envoy does the same thing, so I don't really sweat it. But even just the body damage on the one you're looking at...I think I'd walk away. I know it's easier said than done. There was an issue with the oil in my cobra and there were a few guys on here who said they'd walk away from it, but it turned out to be alright when I looked a little further into it. That being said, and you being a mechanic, there's probably alot of things you can either talk the dealer into doing for you, or take care of yourself. But all in all, it just kinda sounds like you're trying to talk youself into it. My humble opinion, hit autotrader.com...I scoured the web for cobras as far as Boston and I KNOW there's gotta be one around in better shape than that...especially if you're willing to travel a little bit to find it.

Users who are viewing this thread