Drove the Cobra -- '99 Owners I need your help!

Trade my 02 GT STRAIGHT for this 99 Cobra

• HELL YES! I would definately straight trade an 02 GT for this cobra!

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • HELL NO! You could not pay me to take this car

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Eh...i would do the trade if i could get the dealer to fix it a little

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Undecided...waiting to hear more about the deal

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Udtbadkarma

Established Member
its not that im talking myself into the car, its just in person the car didn't look bad at all. it looked DAMN clean. Not mint, but clean. And in those bumper pics i have, you can't even see that in person. I think it was just dirt keep in mind the cobra wasn't throught the car wash anytime soon, it still had garage dust on her..and i think most of those "rock chips" the picture shows, is just dirt.

I'll try and take better pics next time...

Udtbadkarma

Established Member
New informaion about the cobra:
Someone from Stangnet helped me pull the Warranty infomation on the car. Apparently this cobra had a new clutch installed at 22,000 miles. This leads me to believe a few things:

1) The car was beat the shit out of :rlaugh:
2) The "adult" owner, maybe didn't beat the car, but learned how to drive stick on the cobra :nonono:
3) The clutch on the cobra MAY not be bad now, and just needs an adjustment or something
4) See #1 again, and the owner burnt the clutch out, replaced it and now its burnt out again and instead of having to pull the BBKs again and do ANOTHER 2nd clutch job, the guy just sold the cobra...

I'm looking into the information about the warranty work now, i'll get back to you. Maybe i can try and call the Ford dealer that did the work and find otu some background on the car and owner...

Cobraboy325

Established Member
I change my vote after reading the rest of the post. DO NOT DO IT. If your car is mint it is worth more than a beat to shit 99 snake.
CB

cobra2798

I have no car
Established Member
About the clutch and power. I have driven an 03 GT with all bolt ons and my car ( 01 cobra ) with all bolt ons. My friend asked me to drive his GT after he had his new exhaust put on so he could here it drive by. When I drove the car I found myself wanting to push foward to help the car move. Unless that car is half dead I dont see how you could not be impressed with the 320hp over the GT's 260hp. I was just thinking to myself im glad I didnt buy a GT, No ofense but the car felt very slow compared to mine. Another thing I noticed was his clutch was very loose compared to mine, so if the clutch felt tight that normal on the stock cobra clutch. Just my 2 cents. I would think hard about this cause you have a nice car now and you dont seem to impressed with this cobra so you might just want to continue modding What you have.

04svtdriver

I need another sports car
Established Member
I sure wouldn't rush into that car. I think you'd be happier doing a little more research. Unless he's willing to fix alot of that stuff. Sounds like you be dumping about 2-3k into it right away just to get it where it should be instead of doing perf. mods. But if he'll fix it up a lil and give you the car cheap then it could be a possibility.

04svtdriver

I need another sports car
Established Member
I sure wouldn't rush into that car. I think you'd be happier doing a little more research. Unless he's willing to fix alot of that stuff. Sounds like you be dumping about 2-3k into it right away just to get it where it should be instead of doing perf. mods. But if he'll fix it up a lil and give you the car cheap then it could be a possibility.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
About the clutch deal. I wouldn't read too far in to it having a replacement at 22000. My brand new 2002 GT when I purchased it had to have a clutch replaced at 8000 miles. Not becasue I beat on it but becasue the car came out of the factory with a warped flywheel and it destroyed the clutch disk and pressure plate (according to Ford techs). Even Cobra's are mass-produced and not imune to error.

With that said this car does in fact look to be in rough shape. However it doesn't look to have any horrible mechanical defects and everything on it can be corrected with a little TLC.

My thoughts are that if you have the time and most importantly the money to correct the issues then it's probably not a bad deal. New replacement brembo rotors are $65.00 each and your looking at about $150.00 for OEM brake pads. The interior on that car honestly doesn't look to worn to me aside from teh volume buttons. The seats look to be in the same condition my 2002 GT seats were when I traded it with 23K on it. A little loose from sitting but no tares, fading etc. The wheels have some curb rash, but that's to be expected, and if your keeping your wheels it's not an issue.

The only reason I would say not to get this is that you keep saying you have zero money to put towards it which to me means you'll hae zero money to fix what needs to be fixed. You're looking at $400.00 for brakes alone. Not to mention your insurance will likely go up. Based on what you've said I would think your financial situation would dictate keeping your GT.

Udtbadkarma

Established Member
well like i said i have enough for the brakes and rotors and MAYBE tires. I'd have to borrow some cash for the tires from my father probably. going to tech school all day and only working weekends doesn't leave me with much spending money.

So its not the brakes and tires that concern me because they need replacing on my GT too...its the clutch that i can't fornt any extra cash for.

BUT if the dealer gets me a new clutch and TOB, i'll install it myself and be happy.

Udtbadkarma

Established Member
One more thing i noticed on the car. The heat vent on the driver side. It felt weak while i had it on HIGH Fan HIGH Heat.

This normal for u 99 cobra owners? Think the blower motor is going? The center console heat was strong and good, but i checked my GT driver side vent with heat on HI and it was blowing strong. So there was something weak on the cobra.

Weak blower motor? Or was the cobra vent/fan power always crappy? :shrug:

Udtbadkarma

Established Member
it was on vent, HI and heat. And the drive side felt weak. It was blowing, but not nearly as strong as the center, and not nearly as strong as my GT driver side vent does. So something is up yeah. No biggie, not really a "problem" in my book, but just wondernig about it.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
It honestly sounds like you are trying to pick this car apart. I don't know if your looking to have us tell you not to get it or to go ahead with it.

Bottom line is that the deal on this car isn't that great. Based on what he'd be selling the 99 Cobra for it's high given the condition of the car.

I picked my 99 up with about the same miles, and otherwise flawless condition. The absolutely only thing I could find wrong with it was a little rash on the wheels and a minor paint scrape on the lower drivers side front bumper (probably from coming out of a driveway too quickly). I picked the car up for 13,995. They're charging about that much for that Cobra and honestly based on the pictures provided I would probably not pay anything more than $10,000.

My opinion would be to save up a bit for a down-payment and while you're doing that check the papers, autotrader.com, cars.com and the svtperformance market for a better car. They can be had.

I know you say you don't want to put anything towards this new car but honestly saving up even 1000,00 and holding out a little while will net a much better car that you'll probably be happier with.

Udtbadkarma

Established Member
Well if the dealer doesn't comply with what i want done, dont worry im walking and i will TRY and save up.

Or get some stage 2 cams and gears :burnout:

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
Didn't read all the thread. I would say pass. Just because it's a Cobra doesn't mean it's instantly better then your GT. You can't afford to buy a Cobra out-right and this one needs a fair amount of cosmetic work- where's the money going to come from?

Hang with your modded GT or buy a slightly ragged Cobra with LT's...

BTW- it reads like your mind is already made up. Seems like every problem is 'minor'. Be careful and sleep on it for a couple of days.

Last edited:

99 svtcobra

U could find a better looking and working cobra anywhere else. If you buy this car it is going to put you in debt for fixing all the problems with it.... I would move on and look for a E green Cobra LOL

cobrafan

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
that is the biggest pos cobra I've seen in a while.

if you want, you can look at some pics of a properly maintained 99 cobra with 47k miles on it. I have plenty. black on black too.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
quadcammer said:
that is the biggest pos cobra I've seen in a while.

if you want, you can look at some pics of a properly maintained 99 cobra with 47k miles on it. I have plenty. black on black too.

+1 I'll send you pictures of mine as well. 50K on the clock and in much better condition. Not black on black, green on black but you get the idea.

Playtme

Established Member
I say dont do it just to have a Cobra. It could turn you off to the whole experance. You would be the 4th owner and it only has 45,000 miles. I'll bet the first 4000 to 6000 from each owner and their friends were pretty hard. That car looks like it was driven hard and put up wet.

99E.GreenCobra

Established Member
Udtbadkarma said:
Well if the dealer doesn't comply with what i want done, dont worry im walking and i will TRY and save up.

Or get some stage 2 cams and gears :burnout:
:-D Appears to be a lot of opinions and suggestions that this is a troubled snake and to stay away...
Reminds me once a very smart person said to me concerning opinions of me by others:
If someone call you a horse's behind, ignore them they dont know what they're talking about.
If another calls you the same horse's behind, laugh it off
If a 3rd person comes and call's you a horse's behind :shrug: GET A SADDLE
:lol1: In other words everybody is trying to tell you something.stay wawy, and a better Cobra will be coming one day, Im sure.
Good Luck in whatever you do :-D

Users who are viewing this thread