Drove an '11 Gt today...

wjk

Established Member
I test drove a 5.0 and a Terminator in the same day. Both were very nice cars, but they were also completely different!

The 5.0 (3.73s + Brembos)- Very easy to drive (no effort at all!), accommodating, quiet, and overall just a really nice car

Terminator- Balls out torque, exciting to drive, but interior feels cheap and you feel much more cramped just sitting in it.

I just sold my 05 GT earlier today and now I'm finally ready to buy a new to me Stang! The one I will be buying... Drum roll... ... .. . . . . THE TERMINATOR!!!!!

What it comes down to for me is.. A Terminator is about 3/5ths the price of a 5.0. It has gobs of torque and is a blast to drive. The 5.0 felt just like an upgraded 05 GT.

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
I loved my terminators too.....but also to me...the newer S197 cars and even better is the way I feel and fit in the 2011 5.0. Just a better feeling car to me now. The Terminator will always hold a special place in my heart.

OhIIICobra

Established Member
I ditched my Terminator for one. I don't feel like I downgraded, that's for sure. The new 5.0 is pretty sick and stock for stock pulls the same as my cobra did with no mods. Once I get a few mods on it I'll be even happier. I will miss my cobra though.

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
I'm selling the 69, keeping the 03 and buying a 11 gt auto w lil bro d plan. Would like something that does better in heavy traffic. The 69 is so caveman compared to either of these other cars, a death trap. If I want some more power in the 11, I'll just do a few things. I think it could be close to the 03 for sure at the track. Esp w some nitrous and a 2.5k converter when they come out. My 03 puts down 500+ whp and 550+ wtq
I'm going to throw this out there see the improvement w 75 jets w a auto and yes it's pulling the left tire.
N/a
YouTube- ‪Sean Kelley's 2011 Mustang GT 5.0‬‎
w 75 jets
YouTube- ‪Sean Kelley's 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 plus a 75 shot‬‎

wow.. very nice.. with a cai, converter and upped to a 100-125 shot that car will go 10.80's

trendkilllx

Established Member
I have an 03 cobra, original owner and was considering an 11gt. I live in Calif and just the sales tax on an 11 gt is almost enough for a whipple, also registration cost will cover supporting modifications. Would be tempting with employee pricing though.

Last edited:

FormulaFord

Established Member
My opinion for what its worth. I just drove a 11 GT 6 speed car. It did not feel lightning fast to me but much of that is because the car is so smooth. Ford has joined the ranks of cars like BMW for its quality and craftsmanship. I had a 03 Cobra with 600rwhp. Is it as fast as a stock terminator? Probably if not edging it out. But who has a stock Terminator. You cant compare the two. They are two different animals. If you want lightning speed with easy mods get a Terminator. However if you want a far superior designed car the new Mustang wins hands down. After all the the fox body was designed pre 1979!

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
My opinion for what its worth. I just drove a 11 GT 6 speed car. It did not feel lightning fast to me but much of that is because the car is so smooth. Ford has joined the ranks of cars like BMW for its quality and craftsmanship. I had a 03 Cobra with 600rwhp. Is it as fast as a stock terminator? Probably if not edging it out. But who has a stock Terminator. You cant compare the two. They are two different animals. If you want lightning speed with easy mods get a Terminator. However if you want a far superior designed car the new Mustang wins hands down. After all the the fox body was designed pre 1979!

I agree about the major quality improvement of the mustang.. one of the reasons I really like the '11. Im just uncertian that I like it engough to justify getting rid of my cobra.

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
I really don't see how I'll lose, massive tq vs massive tq it's a win win for me but I all ready paid off the 03. Be nice not to worry about upshifting this turd as 560 wtq really is tricky. A auto got to be better.
Yesterday got a 1.64 then next run a 2.2 60 ft same launch as far as I could do. It spun through all of first also. Crap. So I do nitrous on the 11 gt, looks like for sure a 125 shot is ok. Look here.
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjZz3fqqpTw"]YouTube- ‪Sean Kelley's 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 plus a 125 shot [email protected] at MIR‬‎[/nomedia]

Last edited:

03dsgdreams

Established Member
So now my decision is even harder.. '03 Cobra or '11 Gt .. I just dont know![/QUOTE]

Well if you mean selling the cobra to purchase an 11 i say don't do it. Just save the money how ever long it takes and have both. That's my plan. :rockon:

WeeZee

Member of NMRA
Established Member
Terminators are badass and i never bought one but I would buy a 2011 GT only because many things have changed with mustangs from '03-04 to 2010. The 2011 GT is the best bang for the buck except for a 2006+ LS7 C6 Z06 Vette !!!

LSwat

Established Member
I am in the same predicament right now actually. Got someone willing to give me 21.5k for my cobra (basic pulley cobra with a few other goodies, 32k miles)

I test drove a 08 GT500 and a 5.0. I'm not sure which one I like better, even compared to my old 04 GT, they just seem so tame....is it cause the power is more controlled? Distributed better? It's definetly a completely different feel, i'm just not certain if I like it. :shrug:

Was hoping to find an answer in this thread, but none yet lol

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
I am in the same predicament right now actually. Got someone willing to give me 21.5k for my cobra (basic pulley cobra with a few other goodies, 32k miles)

I test drove a 08 GT500 and a 5.0. I'm not sure which one I like better, even compared to my old 04 GT, they just seem so tame....is it cause the power is more controlled? Distributed better? It's definetly a completely different feel, i'm just not certain if I like it. :shrug:

Was hoping to find an answer in this thread, but none yet lol

It seems more tame because everything is redesigned. The frame/body is more rigid, the rear suspension is much better, the cars are more quiet, etc. The gt500 will get very violent with a pulley, intake, tune.. The 5.0, I dont know, because I have never driven a modified one.

Users who are viewing this thread