Drove an '11 Gt today...

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
For those intersted..

I decided to test drive a new 5.0 today, to help me decide to get one, or keep the Cobra.... It was Ingot Silver (not my first choice, but damn nice color) preminum with black leather, and 3.55 gear option..

In comparison to the Cobra, it is a much nicer and more solid car. The car had an awesome road feel. Some road noise, but a very tolerable level. My only complaint is that it is too quiet! Even with the "sound tube" into the cab.. It needs exhaust, bad.

It handled and braked quite well for the factory setup. Stock brakes (no brembo) and had the base 18" wheels. The suspension did feel nice and tight though.. the '11 comes with the same parts that were an upgrade on the '10, called the track pack (for those who didn't know). Also, I really liked the feel of the clutch and shifter. Firm enough to easily feel the engagement, but soft enough to shift very quickly.

It actually surprised me with it's power. Was it blistering fast? No. The Cobra would eat it alive. However, the power was always on tap, even coming out of a turn at low rpm's, the power band vas very fluid, and kept building in the upper rpm's. I took it to 6500 in 1-3, and the power never dropped off. The gears in the trans really help the car move.. after every shift, it was right back in it's power band.. felt great...

And with my employee discount, along with the $1k rebate ford has, the car is very affordable.. I recommend driving one to anyone that has not!

So now my decision is even harder.. '03 Cobra or '11 Gt .. I just dont know!

Last edited:

Raven519

Established Member
how is it even a question of what to do. lets see BRAND new car or an 8 year old car...

seems pretty simple to me, new all the way.

Never_Enough

Established Member
For a DD? The 2011 wins
If it's just a toy, keep the Terminator.

Last edited:

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
I checked out a 5.0 vert over the weekend, the dealer wanted $44,500.00:rollseyes. No thanks you can keep it.

Nice car though.

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
I'm almost certain he means his 450 rwhp Cobra, and not a stock one.

right.. and my car is actually higher than that.. corrected it made 517/584

interesting enough.. the invoice on the car showed a shipping weight of 3461. thats a good bit lighter than most thought they would be.

Krwy

Established Member
I drove a couple at work, both the auto and manual. Fantastic car all around. Ford has really stepped up their game in every model line this time around.

Coiled03

Established Member
how is it even a question of what to do. lets see BRAND new car or an 8 year old car...

seems pretty simple to me, new all the way.

Hmmmm - maybe he doesn't want to pick up a car payment?

ViciousJay

Established Member
after testing the an 04 Cobra (again), 07 gt500, and the GT i picked the GT. I know some of you guys will look at me as if im crazy but really who wants someones sloppy seconds. Also the GT500 as nice as it is i just see myself getting into too much trouble buying this and that and with the GT i dont see that really happening. DD for the GT is nice but its not as sturdy as a IRS car but it does well. Maybe its me but the steering ont he gt feels like a 89 caddy (very loose) is it my car or do others feel the same?

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Why? They have the same power to weight stock for stock...

03 3650/380rwhp
11 3600/375rwhp

Peak.

compare torque and the total powerband to get a full picture.

the '11 might have almost equal peak whp but if the 03/04 has more power everywhere else.........

Coiled03

Established Member
Why would you be test driving cars if you didn't plan on having a car payment?

A test drive isn't the same thing as signing the papers. He's undecided about whether or not to buy the thing. Maybe not wanting a car payment factors into that decision. That's all I was getting at.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
after testing the an 04 Cobra (again), 07 gt500, and the GT i picked the GT. I know some of you guys will look at me as if im crazy but really who wants someones sloppy seconds. Also the GT500 as nice as it is i just see myself getting into too much trouble buying this and that and with the GT i dont see that really happening. DD for the GT is nice but its not as sturdy as a IRS car but it does well. Maybe its me but the steering ont he gt feels like a 89 caddy (very loose) is it my car or do others feel the same?

i'd take someones sloppy 10ths for a nice terminator as long as it was cared for. reminds me of a guy at work that just picked up a new Maxima with a $650 payment......then was complainging about struggling....used cars need love too lol :nonono::rolling:

Users who are viewing this thread