Drove 12 Hours To Florida With Over 161,000 Miles On Cobra

vipergts281

Established Member
Haven't been on this site in a few months. Still driving my Cobra, every day. I'm just over 164,000 miles as of now.

Christmas eve I drove 12 hours to FL to visit family. The Friday before I left I had 2 new tires out on. While they were installing the tires they noticed a tie rod needed to be replaced. That night I was out and went to pass someone on the highway and popped a spark plug. This is the 3rd time one has popped. :cuss:

Got the car back Monday morning around 10. Left a few hours later for FL.

The drive was just under 900 miles each way. I put almost 400 miles on the car while I was down there.

12 hours before I was going to leave to come home, that same spark plug popped. This time busting the coil pack cover. Luckily I was able to get a mechanic to fix it the next day.

I ended up putting 2,182.4 miles on the car in the 8 days I was gone. I actually got just over 22 miles per gallon on the trip. By far the best mpg I've ever gotten with this car.

OTHER UPDATES:

• Back in the summer I popped a spark plug.
  • Also in the summer, the idler pulley on the back belt busted while on the highway.
  • A couple of months ago the idler pulley on the front belt busted.

I still enjoy driving this car. But truth be told I wish I had the money to get something else. I want a slightly used ZO6. I'm just ready to drive something else. And at this point I'm repairing something every few months.

Anyway, just thought I'd pop on and give an update. Hope you guys are doing well. :beer:

Last edited:

Kwik03DSG

Established Member
Im impressed, even with the plug shooting issue. that can be corrected by timeserting the heads, thats what i did with my right side head... left side head had to be replaced due to a oil starved cam journal while being assembled/broken in, in shop, so thats the late 04 9 thread head, no timesert needed...

Not sure if youre frustrated because issues are coming up (which would be TOTALLY expected with 160k+ miles, mostly modded) or if youre just thinking out loud about moving to a low mileage vehicle (which is a good choice, the C6Z06/C6ZR1 are the only 2 GM cars I would get rid of my cobra; sadly I can afford neither *right now*) but Id be impressed with the car, all things considered... JMHO

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yeah, haven't seen you post in awhile, Gene. Is this your only car?

Sucks that stuff happens with these cars, but overall you've probably had few issues with it over the years.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
How does that same plug keep popping out? I assume it's backing out first and then popping right? or are you threads so damaged it's just ripping straight out?

vipergts281

Established Member
Yeah, at the end of the day I can't complain too much. After all, it is a sports car with over 160,000 miles on it. Heck, ANY car with that many miles will have issues.

I still enjoy driving, but I'm just ready to drive something else. I had a 2000 GT before this, so I've been in a Mustang for about 12 years and over 210,000 miles now.

Users who are viewing this thread