Driving whipple 2.3 Cobra cross country

johncm

SLOW
Established Member
Hey, not sure if this is in the correct sub forum so please delete/move as necessary. Sorry I rarely post here so I'm unsure where this belongs.

My question is..
I'm buying a whipple 2.3 Cobra from the east coast, and planning on driving to the west coast. It's tuned for 93 octane. I know driving this distance that 93 octane won't be available the whole way back.
Is this a terrible idea? I like the idea of shipping, but would rather drive it back to save a bit if I'm going to fly that way anyways.

Anybody have any idea on this scenario? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
And I look forward to posting here more often in the future

johncm

SLOW
Established Member
Do elevation changes etc. affect anything also?
I just want to make sure I'm not damaging the engine during the process.

10thSVT_03

Doin it!
Established Member
Do elevation changes etc. affect anything also?
I just want to make sure I'm not damaging the engine during the process.

Stay out of boost if you have doubts. You can always keep (2) 5 gallon gas cans with 93 in the trunk too just in case. Unless severe elevation changes I wouldn't worry. Sav yourself some hours and miles by buying my Whipple vert :)

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
how nice/low mile of a car? and how many miles total trip are we talking about? if it's more than 500 I'd say it's just not a great idea, even beyond fuel issues. Rock chips, wear, tires, higher probability of some type of accident....I'd ship it if it's a real clean, low mile car

if it's a higher mile with signs of wear already...I wouldn't let the fuel scare you. Hopefully it has (or should) have a wideband. Just stay out of boost and granny it home

coposrv

Established Member
What's your time worth? I really wouldn't want to drive any distance with 5 or 10 gallons of fuel in the trunk either. I think even if you do it you will look back and say I should have shipped it. IMO

oldmodman

Established Member
Do you have a decent tuner near you in Arizona?

Just get a canned 91 octane tune and load it into the car when you buy it. Then if you do decide to have a little "fun" with the car on the way home it won't matter what you have in the tank. And get it dyno tuned when you get home. I would also suggest that you get the oil and filter changed before you leave. That way you will know what's in the engine.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Do you have a decent tuner near you in Arizona?

Just get a canned 91 octane tune and load it into the car when you buy it. Then if you do decide to have a little "fun" with the car on the way home it won't matter what you have in the tank. And get it dyno tuned when you get home. I would also suggest that you get the oil and filter changed before you leave. That way you will know what's in the engine.

This! If you're traveling that many miles then I highly recommend a canned 91 octane tune. Worries gone. You'll likely want to get a dyno tune anyway when you get the car home.

TX04WhiteL

Established Member
I just did this last week! Drove from Chicago to Odessa Tx in my 2.3 car. Just don't get on it. Once we hit Miss. And Oklahoma the only had 91. Turned timing down 2 degrees and didnt get on it and all was well. I use torco at home now because we can only get 91. If you got any questions feel free to pm me

Parts-is-Parts

Established Member
I would never pay 20k (or whatever you did) for a car and go beating on it before taking it to a dyno.

Get it home by driving normally then go from there.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
If it has a dyno-tune for 93 on it, then I wouldnt mess with a canned 91 tune.

Just drive it back without beating on it and you wont have any issues with the octane.

Not sure how many miles you are going, but i'd buy enough octane boost for 8-10 tanks of fuel and take with you if it is that big of a deal to you. Put them in a sealed container where they cant flip over or anything too.

rich5150

Network Guy
Established Member
If you can find who wrote the dyno-tune for the car, just ask them to email you a new tune(let them know your scenario), they'll change the tune so that you'll be good to go. Very simple. If you can't contact one of the reputable tuners on this board, let them know the exact modifications of the car, and you should be good to go.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
ship your car, it costs me about $300 plus food in gas from San Antonio to San Diego back in 06....i can imagine now. for $500-ish you can sit at home and wait and not rack up your miles.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
What's your time worth? I really wouldn't want to drive any distance with 5 or 10 gallons of fuel in the trunk either. I think even if you do it you will look back and say I should have shipped it. IMO

what's wrong with driving with extra fuel in your vehicle? that's what gas cans are made for.

jdh1213

2.8 Kenne Bell
Established Member
Just stay out of boost and all's good. My car is tuned for 91 octane. I can email you my tune if you have a Diablo tuner.

Never_Enough

Established Member
how nice/low mile of a car? and how many miles total trip are we talking about? if it's more than 500 I'd say it's just not a great idea, even beyond fuel issues. Rock chips, wear, tires, higher probability of some type of accident....I'd ship it if it's a real clean, low mile car

if it's a higher mile with signs of wear already...I wouldn't let the fuel scare you. Hopefully it has (or should) have a wideband. Just stay out of boost and granny it home

You're buying it to drive, right? Enjoy the drive home. Buy a bra if you are afraid of chips for the ride.

Not doing it b/c of rock chips or tire wear is LOL dumb IMO.

Also, most accidents happen close to home. An accident can happen anywhere, though so that should never be a reason not to drive it.

force feed

Established Member
You're buying it to drive, right? Enjoy the drive home. Buy a bra if you are afraid of chips for the ride.

Also, most accidents happen close to home. An accident can happen anywhere, though so that should never be a reason not to drive it.

This. I bought my 03 3 months ago with low miles and i didnt wanna ship it home. I drove it 1200 miles home and dont regret it, Funnest rode trip ever lol. But i did buy a bra for it just to be safe.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member

ya, but you drive a fiesta so you don't count

lol ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread