Driving normal now won't shift

MineralCobra

Established Member
Clutch cable can cause the descibed issue for sure..

When I 1st got my car shifting at higer rpms was a mission.. Replaced clutch cable with steeda unit and car shifted like butter.. Amazing

mustangbob

Established Member
Yeah I just got under the car looks like the plastic is split pretty much all the way down to the transmission. Also, is the cable supposed to be route on the inside between the valve cover and the oil dipstick or outside the dipstick?

hotcobra03

Established Member
Yeah I just got under the car looks like the plastic is split pretty much all the way down to the transmission. Also, is the cable supposed to be route on the inside between the valve cover and the oil dipstick or outside the dipstick?
It can be both.my bracket for oil broke.so stick can move..it's a tight fit..I
Assume it goes toward wheel ..not between cover and stick..

On bottom it only fits 1 way..and does come close to alternator

mustangbob

Established Member
Well took it out today and drove it to a shop. It was fine for about 5-10 minutes then literally couldn't shift into or out of gear. Luckily it was at the shop I was going to have do some other work that I went in for originally but they just lost their transmission guy. They said the clutch isn't disengaging properly and that I need to take it to a Tranny shop. Is this still a cable issue or a bearing maybe?

jblood37

Established Member
Have someone engage and disengage clutch inside the car while you're under it watching what's going on.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

hotcobra03

Established Member
Well took it out today and drove it to a shop. It was fine for about 5-10 minutes then literally couldn't shift into or out of gear. Luckily it was at the shop I was going to have do some other work that I went in for originally but they just lost their transmission guy. They said the clutch isn't disengaging properly and that I need to take it to a Tranny shop. Is this still a cable issue or a bearing maybe?
Find a new shop..that is a simple broken cable..causing problem.

Liquidsnake

Lok'tar Ogar
Established Member
It looks like your cable is routed the wrong way, it's easy to get the cable caught between the valve cover and the dipstick tube when re-feeding it through the firewall. I know because it's something i've had to pay special attention to when replacing the cable. when you put a load on the cable it distorts a little, but due to it being routed like it is, it binds on the valve cover and causes a kink in the cable sleeve. Don't try to re-rig it, just buy a new MM cable.

mustangbob

Established Member
Got the cable out and it was pretty messed up where it was rubbing the valve covers. Repalced it with an OEM and took it out and no problems now and shifting well (knock on wood). It was weird it would shift normal when it was cold but when it warmed up it was difficult to shift so I don't know if it being kinked on the valve cover made it heat up. Also throw out bearing was covered in a lot of dirt so I hit it was some brake cleaner.

20170419_121445_zpsh9u3ab6a.jpg

hotcobra03

Established Member
Got the cable out and it was pretty messed up where it was rubbing the valve covers. Repalced it with an OEM and took it out and no problems now and shifting well (knock on wood). It was weird it would shift normal when it was cold but when it warmed up it was difficult to shift so I don't know if it being kinked on the valve cover made it heat up. Also throw out bearing was covered in a lot of dirt so I hit it was some brake cleaner.

Cool you did this yourself..

Glad you didn't let that shop try.

Spraying brake clean wasnt a good idea imo..

Tob is packed with grease as it spins always unless it's been modded to not spin.

Is new cable about in the same spot or was it not bolted to frame ?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

Wow, that cable was really messed up. So prior to your putting the car away for several weeks it was shifting fine?

Glad you were able to get the issue resolved by replacing the cable. You got much better advice/diagnosis from the folks here than from that first shop. SVTP rocks!

mustangbob

Established Member
Man I wouldn't have put brake clean on that tob. Needs to stay greased.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Can't undo it. But researched it couldn't find anything and I think this is just the sleeve for the TOB. But it was caked in 1/4 inch of dirt and grime. Hit with a quick burst and could see metal and stopped.

20170419_113714_zpsp5gk8rls.jpg

mustangbob

Established Member
Wow, that cable was really messed up. So prior to your putting the car away for several weeks it was shifting fine?

Glad you were able to get the issue resolved by replacing the cable. You got much better advice/diagnosis from the folks here than from that first shop. SVTP rocks!

Yeah everything was fine when I stopped driving it. It used to be my daily driver but I was fortunate enough to get a 100 series Land Cruiser with low miles here in Cali and is now my daily driver. But being sent away for training all the time and all the gear I have to have that's full of saltwater and sand I hadn't driven the mustang in a few months and a lot of things seemed to pop up when I started driving it again. But yes this website is extremely helpful, the shop I took it to is on base so they are much cheaper and also don't have sales tax (8% in cali) and I just didn't have time or energy to mess with all the other stuff at the time just getting out of the hospital. But when they told me I needed to take it to a transmission shop, I just researched it and asked on here and decided to do the cable myself.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Yeah everything was fine when I stopped driving it. It used to be my daily driver but I was fortunate enough to get a 100 series Land Cruiser with low miles here in Cali and is now my daily driver. But being sent away for training all the time and all the gear I have to have that's full of saltwater and sand I hadn't driven the mustang in a few months and a lot of things seemed to pop up when I started driving it again. But yes this website is extremely helpful, the shop I took it to is on base so they are much cheaper and also don't have sales tax (8% in cali) and I just didn't have time or energy to mess with all the other stuff at the time just getting out of the hospital. But when they told me I needed to take it to a transmission shop, I just researched it and asked on here and decided to do the cable myself.

If you end up needing a mechanic let me know. I know a shop up in Lakeside. I'm sure it's a bit of a drive for you, but he's a decent guy.

mustangbob

Established Member
If you end up needing a mechanic let me know. I know a shop up in Lakeside. I'm sure it's a bit of a drive for you, but he's a decent guy.
Thanks man I appreciate it, I'll hit you up next time it needs work and get the shop info. Lake side is a bit of drive though, about 40 minutes from me.

Users who are viewing this thread