Driving normal now won't shift

mustangbob

Established Member
Hey guys,

Sorry I probably could use the search funtion for this but just got out of the hospital a day ago and was trying to take my car in to get the front end worked on, new ball joints etc since i have been having trouble with it wondering on the road to the point that I have to fight it. Anyway I drive in to take it to the shop and everything seems fine, shop tells me I should come back next week because they are swamped and it will just sit over the weekend. As I am leaving everything is still fine, but a few minutes later I have trouble shifting and can't really get it into or out of 2nd, had to use both arms and pulls as hard as I could to get it out and then the same to get it in 3rd. Then when on the highway it would grind whenver I tried to get it into gear and basically had to keep force it into 3. So I am not sure what is going on, if it's the clutch or transmission. Any insight would help but I am late for an appointment I need to get to.

Side note the car had been sitting for several weeks if that could be a potential cause.

Thanks,

Bob

mustangbob

Established Member
pedal felt normal. But it seems like I have to have it all the way to the floor for it to disengage. I saw what looks like might be some damage to the clutch cable. I will post it when I can. Any recommendations for new clutch cable?

mustangbob

Established Member
`.....having trouble getting the picture to show up form imgur...

cable_zpspctxlsan.jpg

a>

gaQ7nkq

Last edited:

mustangbob

Established Member
Is that enough damage for me to order a new cable? I have one of the nicer firewall adjusters I believe it was a fiore. Buts it's been about 5 years. Made my shifting much better until today.

MG0h3

Established Member
cant use imgur here. Try photobucket. Or you can just drag from your desktop or phone now.

NM. Hit reload and it worked. Hard to say if that is actually causing the problem but yes, that def. needs to be replaced.

Like Bdubbs said. Factory cable.

mustangbob

Established Member
cant use imgur here. Try photobucket. Or you can just drag from your desktop or phone now.

NM. Hit reload and it worked. Hard to say if that is actually causing the problem but yes, that def. needs to be replaced.

I've used imgur before with no problem. I also tried to drag it in, it says it's to large...."I feel Like I'm taking crazy pills" - mugatu. So should I try readjusting the the adjuster until my new cable comes in? It will shift when the engine is off but when I turn it on it is still difficult to shift. I apologize if my post are not very coherent I am on a lot of pain meds from the hospital :) lol.

Again thank you everyone for all the help. This forum rocks and makes life a lot easier.

Thanks for the help

Bob

MG0h3

Established Member
Ya maybe take a look at the adjuster and see if its loose now. Might be asking for trouble though man; thing breaks itll be a pain in the ass. Especially if youre in gear in traffic and you tag someone.

Go into the vendor section and look at the ford dealers like autonation. Cable is like 80 bucks.

Plus it shouldnt really be hitting the vc like that. Is it in the bracket thats down by the dipstick/exhaust. Just follow the cable forward and it should be in a bracket.

mustangbob

Established Member

Just used photobucket. Looks Like it worked! Thanks man I appreciate it.

mustangbob

Established Member
Ya maybe take a look at the adjuster and see if its loose now. Might be asking for trouble though man; thing breaks itll be a pain in the ass. Especially if youre in gear in traffic and you tag someone.

Go into the vendor section and look at the ford dealers like autonation. Cable is like 80 bucks.

Plus it shouldnt really be hitting the vc like that. Is it in the bracket thats down by the dipstick/exhaust. Just follow the cable forward and it should be in a bracket.

Honestly I can't see that well its pretty dark and I can't get under the car at the moment but I don't see a bracket holding it.

20170330_185420_zpst2qme3py.jpg

MG0h3

Established Member
Regardless you need a new cable. Bracket is visible from above if its there. If youre laid up you'll need a shop to do it; maybe the local ford dealer can get that cable for you.

jblood37

Established Member
How tight is that cable against your valve cover? Cable routing could be screwed up. Replace that cable with oem as suggested. In the mean time, check cable routing and make sure everything is in alignment on your quadrant, I assume yours is aftermarket. Is that an adjustable cable? Make sure everything looks good under your car, at the fork, etc.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

hotcobra03

Established Member
I used wd 40..

With cable in hand sprayed into cable till it came out other end..

I had installed it without. .pedal was hard to push..lots of friction being new..

With wd pedal fell to floor..

jblood37

Established Member
OK I'm going to do this again. I'm hoping this makes a big difference. What's weird with mine is it almost always has lots of friction unless I'm sitting with the car running for extended time, then the friction goes away. It's like the hotter my clutch cable is the easier it moves.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread