Driveline slop/snatch - how to eliminate?

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
The great thing about this car is that the aftermarket has been able to fix many of the cars issues. I'm sick of the driveline slop and wondered what mods help in removing it. I'm planning MM four bushings, billetflow diff brace, and 14MM bolts in the front of the IRS.

Will that work? What else should I consider. I'd also like to tighten up the front handling. With out dropping major dollars and buying a $1000 dollar kit and spending another grand in install.

Appreciate your input. By the way. Port and pulleying the beast has made the snatch that much more noticeable.

0310thstock

Established Member
I have BF IRS brace and IRS bushings. Big difference! Still have a little slop, but nothing like when I first got the car. Good luck!

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
I have BF IRS brace and IRS bushings. Big difference! Still have a little slop, but nothing like when I first got the car. Good luck!

Those won't do anything for the driveline slop. The brace you won't feel it all, it just helps keep the cover from cracking. The bushings will help the rear feel more solid and help with handling, but nothing for the driveline slop. Some people have reported the "thud" when shifting gears and coming from a stop has been eliminated with the swap to the 9/16" bolts over the 12mm stock IRS bolts.

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
I have the 14MM bolts from Maximum Motorsports. Where do I get the 9/16th? I was wondering if the 14MM would do it or if over time the bolt holes have ben worn larger. Do the 9/16th bolts bind the rear end?

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
where do you purchase the 9/16th bolts? Also do they cause the rear end to bind?

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
I have the 14MM bolts from Maximum Motorsports. Where do I get the 9/16th? I was wondering if the 14MM would do it or if over time the bolt holes have ben worn larger. Do the 9/16th bolts bind the rear end?

where do you purchase the 9/16th bolts? Also do they cause the rear end to bind?

Godstang has a pretty good writeup about the different size IRS bolts, he found the 9/16th's bolts were a better fit. You can get the Grade 8's at Lowes.

Steve2050

Established Member
I did the 14mm bolts and it made a huge difference in reducing thud noise. The 9/16 bolts may fit even more snug and be more effective.

Check out the difference between the 12mm and 14mm.

14mmIRSbolts003.jpg
[/IMG]

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
WOW that's a huge difference in circumference. No wonder the rear end slaps , thuds, and has that kind of slop. I have the MM bolts and I'll get the 9/16th's as well. If the larger ones fit I'll do that. Thanks for the replies

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Godstang has a pretty good writeup about the different size IRS bolts, he found the 9/16th's bolts were a better fit. You can get the Grade 8's at Lowes.

Yup,i used that,and i got mine at Lowes.Make sure you get the ny-lock nuts too.Made a difference in the way car feels.,I didn`t have to do any grinding/nibbling in the holes either,just used a impact.

nicksender

Established Member
On my '03 I switched from the 12mm bolts/nyloc nuts to 14mm for the front IRS bolts. I also replaced the rear IRS bolts as well with a fresh replacement set. The rear bolts were stripped to hell in the middle section when I pulled them out to move my IRS when I chopped my factory springs. For my car this pretty much eliminated all of the driveline slop I felt in my car, real or perceived.

Troyz R Us

Outlaw Division
Established Member
You may also want to consider the differential bushings...that's usually the cause of the infamous "clunk".

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
You may also want to consider the differential bushings...that's usually the cause of the infamous "clunk".

+1, here are some pics of what mine looked like... YUCK.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...diff-bushings-old-pics-tips-helpful-info.html

Where do you get the differential bushings? How much? Install difficulty?

You can get them from MM or from the thread 03cobra#694 posted.
I used the MM pieces, as I got them as a b-day present awhile ago.
Install difficulty?

I'd say the "hardest part" for me was getting enough leverage to break the DS bolts free and possibly getting the front IRS diff holes lined up. YRMV, as the whole task will depend on your individual mechanical skills. All in all, I didn't think it was that difficult of a task, just a longer one.

Get that stock crap outta there!:beer:

svt4cobra6

I had excessive wear in the diff gear, about 2 times max tolerance. Ford replaced it as well as installed new bearings under warranty which helped with some of the play. Also installed the 14mm IRS bolts, but still have some driveline play.

Troyz R Us

Outlaw Division
Established Member

Where do you get the differential bushings? How much? Install difficulty?

+1, here are some pics of what mine looked like... YUCK.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...diff-bushings-old-pics-tips-helpful-info.html

You can get them from MM or from the thread 03cobra#694 posted.
I used the MM pieces, as I got them as a b-day present awhile ago.
Install difficulty?

I'd say the "hardest part" for me was getting enough leverage to break the DS bolts free and possibly getting the front IRS diff holes lined up. YRMV, as the whole task will depend on your individual mechanical skills. All in all, I didn't think it was that difficult of a task, just a longer one.

Get that stock crap outta there!:beer:

Perfect response. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread