Drag Racing The Cobra

nxs450

Kanas SVT Poster
Established Member
Taking my Cobra to the drag strip tomorrow for the first time. Stock motor, ported Eaton, 4lb/2.76 upper, e85, built IRS. Just put some Nitto NT05R's on it. It seems most are running around 17psi in rear tires. How much of a burn out should I do, and should I use the water box?
Also any other suggestions?

bubblehead93

Established Member
Similar combo as you can see with my signature... I would say no higher than 17# as a starting point, knowing what I know now, I would have started at 14#... check pressure after each run as pressure will rise as the tire heats up... I would not water box a drag radial, you need the tires clean and warm... recommend a dry burnout... play with different air pressures to see what gives you the best launch and 60ft time...

having gone down the drag radial path, great way to get started drag racing... but I have worked myself to a drag slick in the end, even with a drag radial at your horsepower, minimizing wheel spin during launches will be a challenge... drag slick, 28x10-17... it was the tire I was looking for... a 15 or 16 inch slick would be even better, but not required IMO for your mods...

nxs450

Kanas SVT Poster
Established Member
Similar combo as you can see with my signature... I would say no higher than 17# as a starting point, knowing what I know now, I would have started at 14#... check pressure after each run as pressure will rise as the tire heats up... I would not water box a drag radial, you need the tires clean and warm... recommend a dry burnout... play with different air pressures to see what gives you the best launch and 60ft time...

having gone down the drag radial path, great way to get started drag racing... but I have worked myself to a drag slick in the end, even with a drag radial at your horsepower, minimizing wheel spin during launches will be a challenge... drag slick, 28x10-17... it was the tire I was looking for... a 15 or 16 inch slick would be even better, but not required IMO for your mods...

So you are running a 17" slick? I was asking about 17" slicks the other day. I believe they have them in a 26" tall and a 28" tall. I did take the car out last night on some a new concrete access road at 32" psi does not hook at all leaving but hooks in second gear.
What is the lowest pressure you have run radials on the street when just cruising, no cornering ect?

bubblehead93

Established Member
I run NT01s on the street and auto-crossing, my hoosier drag radials only saw the street if I had to drive them to the track... drove them once or twice to the track at 18#'s, just don't corner hard... not sure about 26" but I run a 28" slick, far better leaving the line than a 26" tire, these cars make a ton of torque, some even go to a numerically lower gear, heard/seen 3.31 vs. the stock 3.55... plenty of torque to go fast, hooking up is the challenge, more sidewall is good, taller tire is good...

nxs450

Kanas SVT Poster
Established Member
I had a blast! I have been around drag racing all my life but never really ran a car. It seemed like it wouldn't be all that great. I think I am hooked now. This was a Wichita Street Fight Race with index classes of 15 down to 9's. I was running TO and my first pass ever in the car was 12.15 ET, .41 reaction, (running a 4 tenths pro tree) and 1.87 60ft. After the first pass I decided to run the 12 index and paid the difference. I was having a hard time doing a burn out. I lowered my NT05R's to 17lbs and after first pass they were up too 20lbs, I ended up settling at 15lbs. I finally figured the burnout out on the last pass. I went to the brake pedal as soon as I let the clutch out and did one hell of a burn out. lol

In the race I won the first round spinning the tires in first and second, but chased him down at the end running a 12.26 with a 2.11 60ft. The second round I red lit, my buddy said he didn't even see my car move, so I must have rolled a little in the stages. Another thing I need to learn is to hold the E-brake at staging.

My best reactions for the night were .0922 and .0956. I was apprehensive at first about the pro tree, but it ended up being a blast! Best ET was 12.10, and best 60ft was 1.8, most were in the 2's from spinning the treads. I also noticed I could smell the stock clutch burning so next mod is a spec 3+ and 26 spline input. Other then that I believe the car has 11's in pending driver mod!

cj428mach

Established Member
I had a blast! I have been around drag racing all my life but never really ran a car. It seemed like it wouldn't be all that great. I think I am hooked now. This was a Wichita Street Fight Race with index classes of 15 down to 9's. I was running TO and my first pass ever in the car was 12.15 ET, .41 reaction, (running a 4 tenths pro tree) and 1.87 60ft. After the first pass I decided to run the 12 index and paid the difference. I was having a hard time doing a burn out. I lowered my NT05R's to 17lbs and after first pass they were up too 20lbs, I ended up settling at 15lbs. I finally figured the burnout out on the last pass. I went to the brake pedal as soon as I let the clutch out and did one hell of a burn out. lol

In the race I won the first round spinning the tires in first and second, but chased him down at the end running a 12.26 with a 2.11 60ft. The second round I red lit, my buddy said he didn't even see my car move, so I must have rolled a little in the stages. Another thing I need to learn is to hold the E-brake at staging.

My best reactions for the night were .0922 and .0956. I was apprehensive at first about the pro tree, but it ended up being a blast! Best ET was 12.10, and best 60ft was 1.8, most were in the 2's from spinning the treads. I also noticed I could smell the stock clutch burning so next mod is a spec 3+ and 26 spline input. Other then that I believe the car has 11's in pending driver mod!

Congrats! It sounds like you're hooked and thats bad for the pocket book. I figured you were going to do a test and tune but thats usually on fridays.
What were you launching at? What was your MPH?

I was hoping to get by with a stock clutch but it sounds like mine wont be long for this world either, lol.

nxs450

Kanas SVT Poster
Established Member
Congrats! It sounds like you're hooked and thats bad for the pocket book. I figured you were going to do a test and tune but thats usually on fridays.
What were you launching at? What was your MPH?

I was hoping to get by with a stock clutch but it sounds like mine wont be long for this world either, lol.

Launching at around 3500 without shocking it hard, top mph 118.

cj428mach

Established Member
Launching at around 3500 without shocking it hard, top mph 118.

Was this WIR? That track is the worst.

I was interested in going myself but a guy that goes there some what regularly said a car wiped out there midway down the track because all the sand from the sand quarry next door blows all over the track. Probably a slim chance but definitely scared me. I did hear that they paved the gravel road finally so you don't have to drive on all that stuff and rock chip up your car getting there.

Last edited:

nxs450

Kanas SVT Poster
Established Member
Was this WIR? That track is the worst.

I was interested in going myself but a guy that goes there some what regularly said a car wiped out there midway down the track because all the sand from the sand quarry next door blows all over the track. Probably a slim chance but definitely scared me. I did here that they paved the gravel road finally so you don't have to drive on all that stuff and rock chip up your car getting there.

It was fine and they did a good job of prepping. I heard that if there is a strong wind out of the south it could dust the track. They were letting the faster cars run the 1/4 instead of the 1/8. There was a turbo bike that went a 6.80 I believe.

nxs450

Kanas SVT Poster
Established Member
Sounds like you have fallen into the trap.....sorry ;)
Just keep practicing with the launch and shifting and watch the ET's drop.

Yeah know kidding! Like I said I have been around it all my life and have raced dirt bikes, Road Raced go karts, ect. but never really was interested in drag racing. I have had some street cars in the past and been to the track once before for TO. Now I'm at work today thinking about a line lock, real slicks, and other things to make the car work. lol Like most $$$ are the only thing holding me back.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Taking my Cobra to the drag strip tomorrow for the first time. Stock motor, ported Eaton, 4lb/2.76 upper, e85, built IRS. Just put some Nitto NT05R's on it. It seems most are running around 17psi in rear tires. How much of a burn out should I do, and should I use the water box?
Also any other suggestions?

Good to hear your having fun with the car and using it. I know too many people who are afraid to take there sports/muscle cars down the track. Invest in some 16" bias ply slicks for the rear and really start launching that beast. What kind of power are you putting down on the corn? I'm doing pretty much the same mods as what you have listed but going return fuel as well. Mid 11's should be easy for you with some better tires and more seat time. :beer:

Last edited:

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
Hoosier QTP's for you next tire and watch the 60's drop, then you should be into the 11's easily.

nxs450

Kanas SVT Poster
Established Member
Good to hear your having fun with the car and using it. I know too many people who are afraid to take there sports/muscle cars down the track. Invest in some 16" bias ply slicks for the rear and really start launching that beast. What kind of power are you putting down on the corn? I'm doing pretty much the same mods as what you have listed but going return fuel as well. Mid 11's should be easy for you with some better tires and more seat time. :beer:
Hoosier QTP's for you next tire and watch the 60's drop, then you should be into the 11's easily.

I thought about trying some of the 17" slicks. There are some in a 26" tall or 28" tall. I could afford to do them right now. If I went 16"s I will want some good drag wheels with fronts. I haven't dynoed the car so I don't know on power but probaly close to others with same setup. I think I can get into high 11's with my DR's once I get the driver mod complete!

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
I thought about trying some of the 17" slicks. There are some in a 26" tall or 28" tall. I could afford to do them right now. If I went 16"s I will want some good drag wheels with fronts. I haven't dynoed the car so I don't know on power but probaly close to others with same setup. I think I can get into high 11's with my DR's once I get the driver mod complete!

I would try the 28's if your sticking with the 17" rim, that way you'll have more sidewall. Careful on launching too hard on a DR.. Heard a lot of horror stories of half shafts snapping. I was able to crack into the 11.90's on 91 with my ported upper only car with a slipping clutch and a 1.9-2.0 60'

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
congrats! it is a lot of fun.

ported eaton, upper/lower on e85? I think you will be in the low 11s on a good tire

Users who are viewing this thread