Double Intercooler Pump

Boogie Chillin

Pew, pew, ... pew, pew, pew.
Established Member
Has anyone attempted a double IC pump setup? I'm looking to get an idea of location and fitment of the second pump. I'm going to be putting in a KC drag kit and bypassing the heat exchanger. I see that a second pump can increase flow rate quite a bit? So, Joe suggested a one before and one after the KC. I have a stock Bosch that is good to go, so I'm going to stick with stock pumps. Has anyone done it, and do you have any pics and bracket & mounting location suggestions?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I've seen some run a massive intercooler pump on here, can't remember who? I'd honestly go with that massive one over two smaller ones. I'm not 100% sure how the KC works, but doesn't it mostly run off the Freon?

weaselp1

Established Member
I've seen some run a massive intercooler pump on here, can't remember who? I'd honestly go with that massive one over two smaller ones. I'm not 100% sure how the KC works, but doesn't it mostly run off the Freon?

that massive intercooler pump is made by meziere ...do a search in the how to and there is a guy who explains how to wire it, IIRC minor modification was needed...when my stocker goes out, that is what i am doing! good luck!

edit : Jabsco also makes a awesome pump

Last edited:

weaselp1

Established Member
Im not sure it will do to much. If it flows to much is won't cool enough in the KC/ intercooler to be effective. But I don't know.

i cant find the thread, but joe kincaid (who makes the killer chiller) actually recommends a higher flow pump - it is more effective in keeping the heat down, especially after a WOT pull

Boogie Chillin

Established Member

Well the KC allows the cool charge from the A/C to cool the IC reservoir fluid.

i cant find the thread, but joe kincaid (who makes the killer chiller) actually recommends a higher flow pump - it is more effective in keeping the heat down, especially after a WOT pull

I was speaking with Joe who actually recommended the double IC pump solution. Mainly I'm looking for a hardware solution for mounting. Here is an interesting graph on the flow rate of various IC pumps. Here is the link of the info: LINK

table_zps1a0283ec.jpg

multipleintercoolerpumps.png

....obviously...

Last edited:

NMB2

Established Member
I know this has already been said and you seem set in what you want to do....but why? The stock bosch pumps are "ok" built at best, and a single meziere pump flows 4x what a bosch pump flows, and is completely superior in build quality and design.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

I am with this guy. Increase speed of fluid, decrease chance of cooling.

Yup, just like if you have the HE up front, that is used to remove heat from the coolant, if the coolant isn't in the HE that long, the heat isn't removed and it isn't doing it's job. Same thing with the killer chiller.

Boogie Chillin

Established Member
No concern about fluid moving too fast and not having a chance to cool down?

Well, it looks like IF the terminator is anything like the caddy's IC, the dual pumps will remove 15.2% more heat with a dual set up. Also, 2 stockers won't run the fluid much faster than one of the pricier single pumps.

Boogie Chillin

Established Member
I know this has already been said and you seem set in what you want to do....but why? The stock bosch pumps are "ok" built at best, and a single meziere pump flows 4x what a bosch pump flows, and is completely superior in build quality and design.

As to why, adding a one more stocker pump is less expensive than the high end pumps. No doubt the high end pumps are better quality.

Last edited:

Boogie Chillin

Established Member
that massive intercooler pump is made by meziere ...do a search in the how to and there is a guy who explains how to wire it, IIRC minor modification was needed...when my stocker goes out, that is what i am doing! good luck!

edit : Jabsco also makes a awesome pump

Yea, the cyclone listed in the chart is a Jabsco pump.

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
The single biggest issue with all these pumps is they will only flow so much in a restricted system like the Cobra intercooler system. You can run big lines and dual or big pumps but the single limiting factor is the IC Core.

Ford sized the pump to the core. Which is 3.x gpm at most in a closed system with a heat exchanger. The rubber lines are 5/8th ID and the tubes are more like 1/2" ID. You can only flow so much....

I have recently did some tests. Trunk mount system, Rule 2000 pump (33gpm) and 3/4 lines to and from tank to engine and back to trunk.

Tested 5.5 gpm at the return line on a 1 min bucket test. So lets see...33gpm pump in a restricted system seeing 5.5 gpm. Obvious bottleneck is the IC core.

These pumps that everyone using get killed off by pressure and restriction in the system BIGTIME.

I also tested the meziere pump which is 20gpm pump and it flow 4.4 gpm, also obviously killed off by pressure as well. I also tested a 3500gph (58gpm) bilge pump as well, 5.6gpm....obviously bottled necked by the restrictions in the core as well.

Also, more flow is better in a race application with an icebox minus the heat exchanger. I would venture to probably works better in a streetcar with an exchanger also. Several have provent the theory (Low 8 second Whipple cars).

The 13/14 Gt500 pump also flows 7-8gpm which is a much better unit bs previous years. Cobra Jets come with 55gpm pumps as well. Obviously they are given a tad better equipmemt oem to work with, but lessons can be learned.

Bottom line restrictions create backpressure and all of these pumps,
meziere, rule, jabsco etc seriously suffer under those parameters.

Stewart Warner makes a pump that is bulletproof under backpressure. It will cost you 5-600 bux after purchased from LPE (Lingenfelter)

(Typed from iphone, sorry for spelling)

Last edited:

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
As an HVAC tec I can tell you this,too much flow is no good we look for A delt of 12-15 degrees on chilled water coils& more flow will decrese that.on the other side to little flow will short cycle compressor & damage/shut off (& not cool) IMO you need to know the GPM KC recommend & go with that! It's not a guessing game! I'm not A fan of the whole thing as the heat is just going back in the engine via condenser in front of Rad+Load of compressor! Good luck!

Boogie Chillin

Established Member
I've read the same info about the restriction of the intercooler and the back pressure. Which is another reason to not dump a ton of cash into aftermarket pump. But I figured since I'm going to operate and drop in the KC anyway, its a good opportunity to take advantage of the moment and add another stocker. I see some arguments that are in opposition. On one side the coolant doesn't hang around long enough to get cool because its being pumped too fast to cool down. On the other hand, a high priced faster pump $210 - $600 is way better because it moves the coolant faster. I'll probably end up doing it unless finding placement and hardware fitment makes it to goofy or the bends in the hose look like it will increase resistance.

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
Here is a visual on these cores and how much they flow. I took this after cleaning some lime deposits out of the core.
This is with obvious house water supply.

Something to note, this core will go from full hot (unable to hold in hand) to full cold in close to 15 seconds when swinging from full hot to full cold. Transfers heat in and out very effectively.

http://youtu.be/J3M50UhILGI

2nd video is the flow on my return line that I measure roughly 5-6gpm from. Rule 2000 pump, 3/4 lines, 12v vs 17v comparison on a leftover BAP.
http://youtu.be/m0knTmtRTDk

Last edited:

Jcobra03

import reaper
Established Member
I ran an intake rule 2000 with the factory intercooler pump in place and it was actually a restriction. worked much better just using the rule 2000

Users who are viewing this thread