Doing a 358ci N/A build ADVICE PLEASE

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
With the cash you are spending on everything else, get a custom sheet metal intake or, since you are using the GT heads, get a 00R lower off ebay and have a hat made for it.

xXSVTmonsterXx

SVTP Monster
Established Member
Is that intake going to support 360ci?

Yes. Notice how no one asked what else was done to the intake, or the procedure to making it a PSR, not that i'd tell anyways, as I am not its creator. I also like how plenum volume wasn't even brought up. It's not stock.

The Cobra R isn't the only damn intake choice for anything north of a 4.6 based engine.

Every damn time I come on here and discuss this build people are always telling me to go buy more crap. Both Ironhand and Birdman have tried to sell me their "kits". Not that I question their intentions or anything...

If the intake is the only thing bothering anyone, great! That's all I have to say. :rockon:

There's also a Modular Performance built 358 using adapters and a 5.0 boss intake over on corral. He's got GT heads too. Shame on him for using adapter plates.:beer:

Although none of this is pointed in your direction Mystic, just speaking in general.

Ironhand

Banned
Noted. I just need to find a trash can big enough for it. :beer:

A ported PSR will still only have 99-01 size ports in it. Having alot of cubes will only help so far when you put a restricted intake on it. Thats like putting a paper filter on a JLT or wiping before you poop.

It just doesnt make sense.

xXSVTmonsterXx

SVTP Monster
Established Member
With the cash you are spending on everything else, get a custom sheet metal intake or, since you are using the GT heads, get a 00R lower off ebay and have a hat made for it.

See. Now this comment I agree with. :beer:

And agree with your reasoning...
However, this intake is made by someone you know, so I trust its ability. :beer:

Ironhand

Banned
Yes. Notice how no one asked what else was done to the intake, or the procedure to making it a PSR, not that i'd tell anyways, as I am not its creator. I also like how plenum volume wasn't even brought up. It's not stock.

The Cobra R isn't the only damn intake choice for anything north of a 4.6 based engine.

Every damn time I come on here and discuss this build people are always telling me to go buy more crap. Both Ironhand and Birdman have tried to sell me their "kits". Not that I question their intentions or anything...

If the intake is the only thing bothering anyone, great! That's all I have to say. :rockon:

There's also a Modular Performance built 358 using adapters and a 5.0 boss intake over on corral. He's got GT heads too. Shame on him for using adapter plates.:beer:

Although none of this is pointed in your direction Mystic, just speaking in general.

I made an offer and I think I would make a whole 10 bucks on the deal so its not even worth the hassle to me.

I was simply trying to help ya out but you do what you think is right. Go ahead and knock out the runners on a lower and bolt it up and call it a day.

GL to you.

xXSVTmonsterXx

SVTP Monster
Established Member
I made an offer and I think I would make a whole 10 bucks on the deal so its not even worth the hassle to me.

I was simply trying to help ya out but you do what you think is right. Go ahead and knock out the runners on a lower and bolt it up and call it a day.

GL to you.

Hey now, I wasn't trying to be offensive. My apologies.

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
I'm pretty sure I know who made your intake but I could be wrong. Would you be willing to pm me pics of the intake? I've been thinking of going the 5.4 route and am leaning toward the Boss intake but I also would like to see what you're going to be working with as far as the 4.6 based intake. I'm sure its got a lot of work done to it since its going on a 360ci beast of a modular.

Also, what brand headers did you go with?

xXSVTmonsterXx

SVTP Monster
Established Member
I'm pretty sure I know who made your intake but I could be wrong. Would you be willing to pm me pics of the intake? I've been thinking of going the 5.4 route and am leaning toward the Boss intake but I also would like to see what you're going to be working with as far as the 4.6 based intake. I'm sure its got a lot of work done to it since its going on a 360ci beast of a modular.

Also, what brand headers did you go with?

They're custom, but PM me and I will hook you up with the info :beer:

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
A Boss intake is not the same as a 99/01 intake. I'm sure what you have is far from stock, but it still seems like a band aid to me rather than a purpose built piece. Which is out of place considering the other custom parts you have. Can't wait to see the results though.

tonewyork89

Wraith
Established Member
A Boss intake is not the same as a 99/01 intake. I'm sure what you have is far from stock, but it still seems like a band aid to me rather than a purpose built piece. Which is out of place considering the other custom parts you have. Can't wait to see the results though.

it's not out of place at all, and is built for this engine specifically, it just started life as a 99/01 intake, then was murdered

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
Welcome to SVTP... people will come in here, one person will find ONE small thing with your whole combo, jump conclusions, and everyone jumps on the bandwagon.

Then the second the combo is running and pics/videos are up, everyone shuts up.

I'm glad you have your entire combo thought out and really wish more people went this route, WILL be sick!!

BTW I also have the MSD 6 MOD ignition box and I couldn't be happier with it. I can tune via laptop and datalog...it pulls hardly any current and is incredibly easy to setup!! I'm not EFI, but my experience with it has been awesome.

xXSVTmonsterXx

SVTP Monster
Established Member
Welcome to SVTP... people will come in here, one person will find ONE small thing with your whole combo, jump conclusions, and everyone jumps on the bandwagon.

Then the second the combo is running and pics/videos are up, everyone shuts up.

I'm glad you have your entire combo thought out and really wish more people went this route, WILL be sick!!

BTW I also have the MSD 6 MOD ignition box and I couldn't be happier with it. I can tune via laptop and datalog...it pulls hardly any current and is incredibly easy to setup!! I'm not EFI, but my experience with it has been awesome.

Thanks! I honestly appreciate it! :beer:
I wish I got more comments like yours, there are times when I even question posting because I already know people are going to jump down my throat. The way I see it is the people on this board have nothing to lose either way, if my Combo works, great! If not, well though my trial and error they know what not to do. I don't understand why everyone is so afraid of N/A builds. While I will agree they are costly, my shortblock was on par in price to a good kenne bell kit (actually I think it was cheaper as I ordered more than just a shortblock). The other thing that bothers me is the criticism I am getting for trying something different. You would think half the forums built a 358 or 360ci 4V before. Also almost everyone's responses have been negative. Besides maybe a handful of people thinking this builds going to be sweet, the rest just seem to want to deter me and let the twin screw guys stay on their thrones.

Again, thank you! It's good to hear some positive things about my build! I've got a lot invested in it and I am so anxious to start putting the car together. My house has become a storage for all my boxes!:beer::beer:

Your car is SICK as well my friend.:rockon:

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
it's not out of place at all, and is built for this engine specifically, it just started life as a 99/01 intake, then was murdered

That may be true, but you are still working within the confines of the original design. It will never be as good as a custom piece or an intake that was at least closer to the intended design in the first place. If all you want is for people to toot your horn, then this isn't the place for it. I HAVE built a 322 ci 4V and I heard all the same stuff. You know what? I don't give a shit. I say, let's race. Blowers are heavy and twin screws run out of huff long before I even think about shifting. Even with less power, I pull harder in 3rd than they do in 4th. I actually am interested in seeing how that 99 intake will work, but we'll never really know unless you run really crappy numbers or you bolt on another intake later for comparrison.

tonewyork89

Wraith
Established Member
Thanks! I honestly appreciate it! :beer:
I wish I got more comments like yours, there are times when I even question posting because I already know people are going to jump down my throat. The way I see it is the people on this board have nothing to lose either way, if my Combo works, great! If not, well though my trial and error they know what not to do. I don't understand why everyone is so afraid of N/A builds. While I will agree they are costly, my shortblock was on par in price to a good kenne bell kit (actually I think it was cheaper as I ordered more than just a shortblock). The other thing that bothers me is the criticism I am getting for trying something different. You would think half the forums built a 358 or 360ci 4V before. Also almost everyone's responses have been negative. Besides maybe a handful of people thinking this builds going to be sweet, the rest just seem to want to deter me and let the twin screw guys stay on their thrones.

Again, thank you! It's good to hear some positive things about my build! I've got a lot invested in it and I am so anxious to start putting the car together. My house has become a storage for all my boxes!:beer::beer:

Your car is SICK as well my friend.:rockon:

yeah getting all that shit out of your room is going to be a long day:bash:

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
These guys who are critiquing your intake choice are trying to look out for you and your build but they're car guys, not politicians so things come across pretty rough some times. We need to quit jumping to conclusions and ask the only question that matters in terms of the intake: Have the runners been enlarged (cross section) (lots of welding required) to the same size as the GT ports? If not, there will be some restriction but even in bone stock form they flow around 315 CFM and are capable of supporting plenty of power when the feeder port issue is addressed. Explain what you can about the intake so people quit thinking in terms of "stock" configuration. For starters, I assume the runners are just a straight shot at this point.

COOL build by the way. Not very often we get to witness one of this magnitude. Thanks for your patience and willingness to share.

xXSVTmonsterXx

SVTP Monster
Established Member
That may be true, but you are still working within the confines of the original design. It will never be as good as a custom piece or an intake that was at least closer to the intended design in the first place. If all you want is for people to toot your horn, then this isn't the place for it. I HAVE built a 322 ci 4V and I heard all the same stuff. You know what? I don't give a shit. I say, let's race. Blowers are heavy and twin screws run out of huff long before I even think about shifting. Even with less power, I pull harder in 3rd than they do in 4th. I actually am interested in seeing how that 99 intake will work, but we'll never really know unless you run really crappy numbers or you bolt on another intake later for comparrison.

These guys who are critiquing your intake choice are trying to look out for you and your build but they're car guys, not politicians so things come across pretty rough some times. We need to quit jumping to conclusions and ask the only question that matters in terms of the intake: Have the runners been enlarged (cross section) (lots of welding required) to the same size as the GT ports? If not, there will be some restriction but even in bone stock form they flow around 315 CFM and are capable of supporting plenty of power when the feeder port issue is addressed. Explain what you can about the intake so people quit thinking in terms of "stock" configuration. For starters, I assume the runners are just a straight shot at this point.

COOL build by the way. Not very often we get to witness one of this magnitude. Thanks for your patience and willingness to share.

Olgrey, I also have a 5.3 BB Stroker so I know what you mean there. I have heard a lot of shit from my friends with that build. Most felt it wasn't worth-wile, but it spit out impressive numbers and tore apart most of the cars it ran into. I have to say, I really LOVE the 4.6 at this displacement. I ran 12:1 compression on that engine as well.

Perhaps I misrepresented how I felt... I am not looking for people to tout my horn, but instead for true feedback with actual life experience. I feel that a lot of the people on here are simply criticizing my build without a definite insight on what genuinely works. I would bet a lot of money, only 1 or 2 people on this thread have thought about building a 360ci 4V let alone actually done it. I understand that putting a crap intake on the best heads, etc etc will kill the combo. However, I didn't appreciate people saying rude things like "What a waste". A waste? Really now? I will admit it sounds like jealousy to me.

As far as the intake is concerned...well... this engine is going to make wild N/A power. That is for certain. However, once it's broken in and I have some spare cash lying around, I would be willing to test other intake choices on it and see what happens. For now though, I feel it's a very thought out combo and will see a good amount of torque too. We'll see though, right? I am NOT trying to squeeze every last drop of power out of the engine. I am looking to make power greater than a 5.4, by some margin but also retain drive-ability and torque.

Tmhutch, the intake was made by a member of svtp. I don't know his willingness to share his secrets, however, a lot of work went into the intake. WHILE A 5.4 SULLIVAN WOULD PERHAPS BE AN EVEN BETTER CHOICE, I don't know if it's the RIGHT FIT for ME. Just for giggles I had my engine builder test the intake out and really take a look at what's been done to it. They were equally impressed and believe it will flow the 360ci just fine. :beer: Now of course only time will tell when the car is finally put on the rollers, but wouldn't it be nice to have another intake choice verses me just using a sullivan or Cobra r? I think us 4V guys could use some choices in this department. The poor B head guys don't really even have a choice. I say, let's see what happens. The engine is going to make sick power regardless.

tonewyork89

Wraith
Established Member
Tmhutch, the intake was made by a member of svtp. I don't know his willingness to share his secrets, however, a lot of work went into the intake. WHILE A 5.4 SULLIVAN WOULD PERHAPS BE AN EVEN BETTER CHOICE, I don't know if it's the RIGHT FIT for ME. Just for giggles I had my engine builder test the intake out and really take a look at what's been done to it. They were equally impressed and believe it will flow the 360ci just fine. :beer: Now of course only time will tell when the car is finally put on the rollers, but wouldn't it be nice to have another intake choice verses me just using a sullivan or Cobra r? I think us 4V guys could use some choices in this department. The poor B head guys don't really even have a choice. I say, let's see what happens. The engine is going to make sick power regardless.

seriously intake choices are limited, and they shouldn't be, personally i'm in the midst of working out a proper design for the b heads, idc about the mid lift velocity issues i love them haha just wish there was 4v aftermarket support, the aftermarket makes it look like the 2 & 3 valves are the way to go, which we know, isn't the case

Users who are viewing this thread