Doing a 358ci N/A build ADVICE PLEASE

xXSVTmonsterXx

SVTP Monster
Established Member
Hey there everyone,
it's been awhile since i've been active on the forums... took a break from the Cobra to save up funds after one of the plastic timing chain tensioners failed on me... Go figure.

Anyways, I THINK I have decided on my new build:
358ci MMR 351R
12:1 Compression (static from what I understand, they say safe with 93?)
Forged, and i'd hope so for the price.
All the little bells and whistles that go with a big money block.
(Anything I SHOULD be asking for?)

Stage 3 Ported 04 Revised Cobra heads, with stage 3 Crowler cams
(I am uncertain if they're N/A or supercharger, but I got them assembled with titanium valves, etc etc with only dyne time so I will take what I get)... Ill assume they're supercharger cams, although the seller said N/A cams all day. (they have the 9 thread).

Fully ported mach 1 intake upper/lower, etc... I am told the work was done by boss 330 racing, although it's a quality job, we'll see how it does on the dyno.
(will be widened by MMR, unless someone knows a better route, I am told the adapter plates blow?)

SCT BA3000 MAF... 80LB Injectors....
Any ideas for a good fuel pump (or setup)?

This is going to be like a 5.4 swap in a 4.6 so I am told I should use stock exhaust manifolds with a widened mid pipe... Anyone know a better choice for that too... I am thinking long tubes will help this breathe... maybe 3in exhaust as well? THIS IS MY FIRST 5.4 4V swap into a 4.6 4V so any advice will help a ton!

Viper spec T56, and built IRS out back already.

Help me make this a record breaker. :beer:

Last edited:

xXSVTmonsterXx

SVTP Monster
Established Member
fuel setup return style would probably be your best bet. not sure on exhaust but id think something bigger then the stock manifolds

I may be having ironfist (member on here) make me a custom K member so I can run longtubes. I too feel the stock manifolds will hold back this build.

Any fuel setup you recommend in particular? This is going to be a street car, but will see "some" track time in its life.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Are you looking to run E85 at some point or is it only going to be 93? The reason I'm asking is because unless this is going to make a ton of power the 80's are going to be on the big side for your needs. I'm currently N/A and I'm running 80's with GT pumps. My FPDC was 60% at 6300rpm. Granted I'm not making a ton of power, but you don't need a ton of fuel system with a N/A set up. Unless you're going to run nitrous.

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
I'd go for GT500 heads with that many cubes. Sourcing the intake takes work but would be worth the effort IMO.

xXSVTmonsterXx

SVTP Monster
Established Member
Are you looking to run E85 at some point or is it only going to be 93? The reason I'm asking is because unless this is going to make a ton of power the 80's are going to be on the big side for your needs. I'm currently N/A and I'm running 80's with GT pumps. My FPDC was 60% at 6300rpm. Granted I'm not making a ton of power, but you don't need a ton of fuel system with a N/A set up. Unless you're going to run nitrous.

I plan to run E85 a good 70% of the time. I also plan to make a ton of power...with the right setup of course. Depending on where N/A gets me I may add boost later on with RG.

I'd go for GT500 heads with that many cubes. Sourcing the intake takes work but would be worth the effort IMO.

I've considered them... Although with the stage 3 port/polish stage 3 cams I think I will be OK for now. We'll see where it gets me. From my understanding 4V heads in general can outflow 429ci?

What block is used for that motor?

I am uncertain...

01yellercobra

Established Member
slo984now are you running an 03/04 Cobra tank? Or just the hat with twin ford gt pumps?

Stock FPDC?

I'm running the 03/04 tank and hat with the GT pumps. I also have the wire upgrade and the stock FPDM. With the blower I was about 95% duty cycle when I was closing in on 600rwhp. I never checked the duty cycle with the stock pump. I went to the twin termi pumps as soon as I put the blower on and upgraded from there.

I think the PD guys are going into the 800hp range with the 80's and E85. I'm not saying you can't, but the 60's might be nicer to tune with and still meet your goals.

xXSVTmonsterXx

SVTP Monster
Established Member
I'm running the 03/04 tank and hat with the GT pumps. I also have the wire upgrade and the stock FPDM. With the blower I was about 95% duty cycle when I was closing in on 600rwhp. I never checked the duty cycle with the stock pump. I went to the twin termi pumps as soon as I put the blower on and upgraded from there.

I think the PD guys are going into the 800hp range with the 80's and E85. I'm not saying you can't, but the 60's might be nicer to tune with and still meet your goals.

Can you tell me about this wire upgrade?

01yellercobra

Established Member
It runs a power from the battery through a relay to the FPDM. Less voltage drop and higher current carrying ability. Lethal sells a kit for it, but you can source the parts on your own. There might be a write up in the termi section. If not I'd try modular fords. I'd post a link, but I'm on my phone right now.

mustangman36578

Established Member
i see your from new york. be careful with running E85. the fuel companies switch to a winter blend up north here which is more of a E70ish but dont advertise when it switches. octane rating for E85 is ~100-105 and for the winter blend closer to 93-95. pretty sure you wont be driving this in the winter but say you decide to take it out for a nice 50 degree fall day and fill it up now your running lower octane than what it is tuned for.

Last edited:

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
I think your biggest obstacle is using the the Mach 1 intake and getting it widened, I would get an aussie intake but then you may need to change heads, but then again I am not sure 03-04 are the best head for this many cubes even when ported

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Not sure what experts they are quoting. I wouldn't use one for a motor that big. Hell, I don't use one for mine. I can't remember if this block is 5.4 based and I'm too lazy to look it up. If it is, get an Aussie intake or find a used Sully, they are discontinued, or if the funds permit, swap to the GT500 heads and get a 00R. If it is 4.6 based, get a Sully or talk to nasvt. He was selling a pretty killer one off piece.

Users who are viewing this thread