DOHC swap in 06 F150 v6

travix

Established Member
Hello all, I recently swapped a 2003 cobra engine and T56 into a 1999 cobra. Now I have a ton of parts and a good 1999 aluminum block 4v cobra engine and 5sp trans. My original plan was to find a gt body and throw the 99' engine in it for a toy. But recently I've had a change of heart. I own a 2006 singlecab short bed F150 with a 4.2 v6 with a 5 sp. and would love to see the cobra engine in it. I understand that I'll probably need a donor 4.6L truck to pull things from as well as various harnesses from a mustang. I have plenty of time, my own shop, a lift, and access to a SVT dealer with a dyno. If there are any knowledgeable people who would like to share opinions, problems, or help me put together a list of items I would need I would deeply appreciate the help. Thanks in advance!

ESVEETEE

Established Member
I used the 5.4 harness in my truck and lengthened the wires for the coils.

I'm currently using a 4.6 ecu.

You need to stay drive by wire. I had a custom elbow made for the Eaton on my truck to clear the computer.

I used the old 3v oil pan because it has the oil temp sensor.

I put the CHT sensor in the coolant stream which is far from ideal. I'm hoping to figure out a permanent solution for this.

Anything else... Just ask.

travix

Established Member
What engine and trans did your truck have previously? And what trans are you running now? Did you run into any problems that I should be aware of as I go through this build such as, driveshaft length/drivetrain clreances? Also, I am trying to go for a "long travel" offroad toy. This will not be daily driver. I am looking for a basic, no frills truck to beat on. Simplicity is key. The less moving parts the better. Is the drive by wire necessary? Thanks again so much for the response. I'm glad you're wiling to help with this project.

ESVEETEE

Established Member
I kept my 4r75e that was in my truck. It had a 5.4 3v in it.

I had no transmission/driveshaft issues because I kept the stock transmission. Whatever ecu you use will force you to use a specific transmission.

The ecu for these trucks uses drive by wire for a ton of stuff so it's pretty much required with those ecus.

I'm actually putting raptor front suspension on mine at the moment because I got it cheap.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
You are not limited by the ECU for transmission tuning. Transmission strategies can be programmed in with any available user end tuner like SCT's PRP.

Or get a separate TCM controller and go from there for your transmission tuning. Performance Automatics had one at one point but it seems they go out of the game for truck stuff. Maybe ask them about one for the Mustang that could be retrofitted.

COBRA97SVT

Established Member
Time and money is all it will take.

This... Before I was interested in doing my own work my dad paid to have a 97 4v put in my 97 f150. A friend had the motor, dirt cheap so we thought we had a deal. The mechanic we knew (family friend) wasnt honest about the install and it was big $$$$$. When all said and done the truck ran damn good but it was low on bottom end torque. It just depends on what you want out of it. Just remember cooling upgrades, rear axle gear changes both if (4x4)etc etc. My advice is to move onto something different.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Ford just announced 5.0 pcm with 6r80. Game over.

someday I would love to put that in my 2004 f150 :rockon:

op to answer your question I have seen a few threads on some of the truck forums with a lot of in depth detail about these kinds of swaps. a lot of guys have put the gt500 5.4 4valves into these trucks. best of luck with it :beer:

travix

Established Member
I guess I'll just have to do some research over on the truck forums. You guys have pretty very helpful. Thanks guys, so much.

JerseyDevil

Established Member
Sounds pretty straight forward. The only problem I see is losing the low end grunt by going with the 4v. But adding an eaton to the mix would solve a lot of that problem.

Users who are viewing this thread