Dog wisperers needed

tistan

Established Member
I got a new pup a couple weeks ago. She rides with me everywhere I go. I do a lot of driving for work. I started out making her ride in the passenger seat, but she would shake, foam at the mouth, and puke. I started letting her ride in my lap because she was much calmer. Now she sleeps in my lap when we ride and no more throwing up. Now I want her back in the passenger seat. When I put her back on the passenger side, she starts shaking, foaming, and puking. Any suggestions for helping her get over whatever fear she has of riding on her side of the truck.

Rct851

Established Member
Let her ride in your lap. If roles were switched, she would do the same for you...

Yes I'm not help but love dogs lol

jimmie Johnson gets car sick riding shotgun....

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Googled your issue and it seems that it's either anxiety or excitement. Does your dog have the issue when she first gets into the car and you don't move? Or does it only happen when you are moving?

MATREDGT

Established Member
My Golden Retriever got motion sick and had anxiety when going for car rides when I first got him. The vet told me to give him Dramamine 30 minutes before leaving and it helped tremendously. He eventually got over the anxiety and just learned to relax in the back seat. He used to go everywhere with me too.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I don't recommend letting a dog sit on the driver's lap. Just not safe. All it takes is for the dog to get excited/startled and the result could be an accident. I recommend you try working with a dog trainer to help your dog overcome whatever is causing the shaking, puking, etc.

95PGTTech

Established Member
Passenger (human) in passenger seat for now. Transition it to the middle of the bench between you two. Then to itself on passenger.

tistan

Established Member
Scared she will cause an accident is the reason I don't want her in my lap. She is having anxiety. As soon as I pick her up and she knows she is going in the truck her heart starts racing.

Last edited:

4a7191a

Established Member
Dog bed in passenger side ?
That helped with my "rat" dog. Kick ass crazy Chihuahua I rescued. His name was rad dog. Lol
I've got a great Dane now. He just sleeps after 5 minutes of drooling on everything.

Slightly Motivated

Stormtrooper
Established Member
If it was me i would just start with spending a few minutes everyday just bringing her out to the car and you sit in the driver seat and have her sit in the passenger seat, without even starting the car. Just getting her used to sitting in the seat alone and without the anxiety its causing her to actually drive. Maybe then graduate from daily trips sitting in the driveway to drives around the block. It may be worth throwing down some blankets on the passenger seat so its a little more comfortable for her and shes more stable while the cars moving. Also would stop any puking on your seat. If that works it might be worth investing in a doggy bed you keep in your car. Just some things I would try before jumping to medication. But in the end that might be what it takes.

Last edited:

tistan

Established Member
How old and what kind of pup?

Boykin Spaniel and she is 13 weeks old. From what I have read, medicating only masks the problem. I don't want to go that route.

I do keep a soft blanket in the passenger seat. It hasn't made a difference yet.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Hmmm spaniels have a shit ton of energy. Have you tried playing with her (to the point where she is tired) prior to a car ride?

tistan

Established Member
I haven't found the point of where she wears out yet. As many times as I throw a toy, she brings it back and is ready to go again.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
We had a dog that would puke in the car as a puppy, grew out of it.

Have you tried sitting her in the seat with the car not moving? I was would try it with the door open, car off. Then car off door closed, then running, etc etc until she is calm.

tistan

Established Member
She starts freaking out at soon as I pick her up and move towards the truck. I put treats in the seat for her trying to giver her something to look forward to.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
web_shutterstock_46267126_zps5a56fea7.jpg

smitty2919

Established Member
Does she have a bed to sleep on in the house? I have learned that dogs are happy when there is something "common" or known to them. It would be good to give the dog a bed at home that gives the dog a sense of safety and peace. If she falls asleep on the bed then she feels comfortable and safe enough.

I would place the bed along with her favorite toy on the front seat. Then pick her up and place her in the passenger seat on the bed with the toy to calm her nerves. Maybe stand next to her with the door open and keep giving reassuring notions. Keep petting her and try to distract her from the fact she is in the truck as much as possible.

Then after a while maybe leave her in the passenger seat on her bed and get in driver seat and play with her. Then when that is OK, back the truck up and go forward in your driveway all while petting her. Then go for a small drive.

Make small steps. I agree with you OP, I hate the idea of drugs. My dog had terrible anxiety/howling/chewing issues when he was left along during the day. That was the hardest thing to treat. Thankfully he learned that we were coming back home and if fine now.

Zemedici

Established Member
the dog's getting carsick, and being near you relaxes her and takes her mind off the car ride. Is she tall enough to stand up and see what's going on outside? Its completely different if you're in the car and cant see out vs seeing the outside passing by.

What about having her in your lap and standing up on the door? As said above, just gotta figure out what works

Users who are viewing this thread