Dog wisperers needed

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
There is some solid advice here. My suggestion is that you see about getting some meds to calm her down for a little while, then after a while she may not need them anymore. That would be the easy way of doing it.
Either way, she is either getting sick from the motion or sick because of nerves.

If it is motion, meds may be the best and only resolution.. though she could eventually grow out of it.
If it is nerves, you need to find a way to disconnect the reaction from the trigger. The best way to do this is to give her another response to the car. Gradually reward her getting in the car with treats, petting, and maybe taking her to fun places. This will make her relate the car ride to good things. If you can, avoid long rides for now, and when you take her to the car, be patient. Don't force her, don't let her run away, don't make it emotional. She looks to you for leadership, show her that it is okay, no big deal... good things come from it.

smitty2919

Established Member
IMO drugs are the easy way out that does not find the root cause of the problem. If you go the drug route because it's easy and is less involved then you shouldn't have got a dog in the first place. You need to invest the time and energy early on to set rules/guidelines/resolve issues with the dog so that later on it will be a better life for both of you.

Drugging her then going on a ride may solve/mask it for now, but if she does not grow out of it then you didn't help the dog.

Now...if the dog is sick or has an illness then by all means use meds/drugs. Growing up my dog was an epileptic and would go into seizures. He got meds at every meal and never had issues until he developed am inflamed heart condition that there was no saving him from.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
IMO drugs are the easy way out that does not find the root cause of the problem. If you go the drug route because it's easy and is less involved then you shouldn't have got a dog in the first place. You need to invest the time and energy early on to set rules/guidelines/resolve issues with the dog so that later on it will be a better life for both of you.

Drugging her then going on a ride may solve/mask it for now, but if she does not grow out of it then you didn't help the dog.

Now...if the dog is sick or has an illness then by all means use meds/drugs. Growing up my dog was an epileptic and would go into seizures. He got meds at every meal and never had issues until he developed am inflamed heart condition that there was no saving him from.

Dogs do not reason like you and I. It is preferable to find the cause and remediate, but the behavior does not need to be learned but could be from not understanding the situation... thus causing fear. The dog sounds as if it has gone very far into the behavior which could be difficult to correct without lowering its stress in the situation which is the primary reason for suggesting drugs.

vettez062002

baller on a budget
Established Member
My Golden Retriever got motion sick and had anxiety when going for car rides when I first got him. The vet told me to give him Dramamine 30 minutes before leaving and it helped tremendously. He eventually got over the anxiety and just learned to relax in the back seat. He used to go everywhere with me too.

this is exactly my pit bulls problem. she gets motion sickness after about 10 miles and usually throws up.. doc gave us dramamine and it helps a lot..

colin450

Established Member
My Doberman got motion sickness (I think) when he was younger. I used to fold up the backseat but he was still small and couldn't see out the window. Now I let him sit on the back seat instead of folding it up and he hasn't thrown up since.

Users who are viewing this thread