Dog Bite Advice

SVT4ME

Established Member
My son was bitten by my neighbor’s dog twice. The first time it was just a nip. I still filed a report with animal control. 18 months 6 days later he bite him pretty good on his right calf. Hired an lawyer and the insurance is trying to settle for $2k. I feel like am getting raped. My lawyer said this is all he can get and even said he’d waive his fee because he knows am pissed and he feels for me. I want to take it to civil court and he said I can end up having to pay if I don’t settle. Is this BS? I would have to pay the insurance companies legal fees even if I win. To be honest it's not like he lost an eye and any money we would get would go into a block trust for my son. Animal control won't do anything, my home owner association doesn't care and now this. please advise

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
i can answer things from a medical perspective. dog bites usually don't get infected, but if he needed stitches and/or antibiotics in the E.R., i can bet your ER bill was at least $1k.

sounds like bullshit to me, and i'd be a bit pissed if i was you. that can be quite a traumatic situation, depending on how old your son is. when i was little, i was deathly afraid of large dogs, due to an incident where my friend was mauled by a large dog--it wasn't even me, but because it happened right before my eyes, i was always afraid of larger dogs.

SVT4ME

Established Member
My son was walking to his friends house(5 houses down) and dog ran out of his yard and bite him. Second time my son ran into the yard across the street from the dog to try to get away. I've got great insurance and there was no out of pocket expense

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
No fence? Honestly I'd just go for a fair few grand honestly. Maybe some more for mental health issues depending on his age.

How old is he?

SoCal94

Established Member
Forget about the money for a minute...

How does your son feel about dogs right now? (Or, animals in general?). I'd be way more worried about the long term effects to him inside his head than on his calf or whatever.

Kids who can't/don't identify with animals worry me - understanding how to communicate with an animal (without any commands/words) is something you can only do by owning a pet and being around it all the time. Kids who are scared to death of dogs are going to have problems with this sort of empathy thing.

Now, back to the money. Are you looking for money to stick it to your neighbor, to help your kid heal, or just to line your pocket? I do agree that your neighbor should pay ALL of your expenses on this - they didn't restrain their dog properly.

Full disclosure - my dog has bitten the neighbor's kid, and we got over it. Another dog bit my daughter in the face, and we got over it. We have two large dogs and I've had dogs my entire life. And I'm pretty old by internet forum standards.

Best regards,
SoCal94

Smokey1226

Dirrty North
Established Member
talk to the owners of the dog. And tell them if they arent willing to take some kind of measure (Invisible guard, Electric collar training, ect) then you will take it to court. Because of this happening multiple times.

Usually that works but idk your nieghbors.

Common

Established Member
Bite me once, shame on you, bite me twice, I am going to kill you and bitchslap your owner. Looks pretty clear to me.

SoCal94

Established Member
Animal Control in your area may want to take the dog in for observation - that's pretty common in California. They may/can do something if they decide the dog is a danger.

In our case they took one look at our dog, petted it, and decided that something weird must have been going on - kid was moving fast - chase instinct? Also, there was a suspicion that the kid in our case may have been coming up to the fence and teasing the dog for a while. Dogs don't forget some behavior - especially if it was abusive.

SoCal94

Juruense

Banned
If a dog bit one of my kids I would personally see to it that it was killed.

Are you saying that you feel that you should get more than your out of pocket expenses in compensation?

youngone

I hate ugly people
Established Member
It's pretty clear.........next time the owner leaves his house run over and bite his calf as hard as you can

Users who are viewing this thread