Dog bite advice, please help

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I would be willing to bet as others have said that we are not getting the full story here. A dog across the fence is a great tease/play toy for the neighbors kid. Before ya'll go jumping the neighbor or killing the dog you might want to be sure you have the entire story...

the above being said however, that does not excuse the owner letting the dog off the leash when he can leave the yard.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
RDJ said:
I would be willing to bet as others have said that we are not getting the full story here. A dog across the fence is a great tease/play toy for the neighbors kid. Before ya'll go jumping the neighbor or killing the dog you might want to be sure you have the entire story...

the above being said however, that does not excuse the owner letting the dog off the leash when he can leave the yard.

That's not always the case. My niece was bit twice. I was there the second time. She did absolutely NOTHING to that dog to have it coming after her. She was across the street in her own yard.

If that was my son, that dog would already be dead.

PS: My dog is my best friend and I love him dearly. But if he bit a kid, especially twice?? I'd have to have him put down.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
LIGHTNING LARRY said:
That's not always the case. My niece was bit twice. I was there the second time. She did absolutely NOTHING to that dog to have it coming after her. She was across the street in her own yard.

If that was my son, that dog would already be dead.

PS: My dog is my best friend and I love him dearly. But if he bit a kid, especially twice?? I'd have to have him put down.

You misunderstand what I am saying ... I did not say (or imply) that it was always the case .. I am just saying that it is often the case. I am also saying that we have heard only one side of the story, and before the owner is beat up for anything other than allowing his dog to leave the yard and before the dog is shot ... the rest of the story needs to be heard.

svtstang34

Established Member
I own Four pit bulls and I have to say I agree with you. If one of my dogs ever bit anyone the FIRST time I would have to put it down.But again its the owners responsibility and its sounds like that dog has issues. and my dogs are not aggressive where they would run across the street and chase someone or even bite a child. Its the owners Fault get a attorney.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
RDJ said:
Twice.

Marc

Established Member
Anyone that puts a child's life/injuries over a dog are complete morons. I have owned many dogs over my lifetime, but if they bit a child or anyone else for that matter, they would be dust. It sickens me when I see news reports of how people's dogs have either maimed or killed some child or adult and the owers are still defending their dog.

If I was that guy that owned the dog in question, I would of had it put to sleep, apologized to no end to you, and offered to pay all the hospital bills. Even doing that, wouldn't make up for what the dog did.

ASVT2NV

Insane And Rising....
Established Member
attorney and kick the idiot neighbors ass! Sorry your sons hurting.. how old is he? I hope doesnt become scared of all dogs... its a shame idiots like him exsist and cannot have the balls to keep their dog up after not once but twice has bitten a child!!!!!

SVT4ME

Established Member
An update to the story. Animal control charged him with having a pet with no license, failure to control an unleashed and loose dog. Witness can confirm my child was no way at fault and that all blame rest with the owner of the dog.

I have an appointment with a great law firm tomorrow; owner of the pet has contacted me and wants to make amends. He’s willing to pay for any medical, pain and suffering and start a college fund.

I told him let's see what the lawyers tell me. He also said he scheduled to move but he doesn't know when.

Adower

Established Member
SVT4ME said:
An update to the story. Animal control charged him with having a pet with no license, failure to control an unleashed and loose dog. Witness can confirm my child was no way at fault and that all blame rest with the owner of the dog.

I have an appointment with a great law firm tomorrow; owner of the pet has contacted me and wants to make amends. He’s willing to pay for any medical, pain and suffering and start a college fund.

I told him let's see what the lawyers tell me. He also said he scheduled to move but he doesn't know when.

Keep going with the lawyer! You two will never agree on an equal sum of money. Let the lawyers get all they can. I bet he only wants to make amends because he heard the word "lawyer"

lou4612

Banned
SVT4ME said:
He was running in a public street to his friends house. They always race there and he is the faster of the two. We live in a gated community with 68 homes all on 1/2 acres or larger.

EDITED BY L.L. WE DON'T NEED IGNORANT REMARKS LIKE THAT HERE.:kaboom:

Ride Along

i has an avatar!
Established Member
I was bit twice as a kid. Both times my parents sued for damages that covered any hospital bills and reconstructive surgery to repair the scars. It didn't amount to much, but it was something. And both times I got bit, it wasn't my fault. I didn't see them, they just came out of nowhere. I sympathize with you and your son. He may become phobic. Good luck.

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
SVT4ME said:

It sounds to me as if he's scared and should've made the offer to take care of medical bills and what not the first time around. He probably only did this time because you're getting a lawyer and he knows he's screwed. Hit him where it hurts. This asshole needs to learn a lesson...

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member
SVT4ME said:

I would sit down and have a talk with him. You need to remember a lawyer is going to take a good amount of the winnings. If he is willing to do all that you said above I would strongly suggest talking with him 1 on 1. He sounds like he isn't the brightest when it comes to owning an animal but I am sure he feels very bad about what happened to your son. Best of luck to you. -Mat-

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
SVT4ME said:

Keep one thing in mind.... you should never sue for more than you would be willing to pay if the situation were reversed. Since he is willing to make amends by paying I would say that you shouldn't be going nuts like the lawyer is going to want you to do.

WhiteStallionGT

The dude seems to be very sorry for what he did. I don't see the point in getting a lawyer if he's willing to pay for medical, college fun, ect. already. Just have a talk with him.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Either way you need an attorney. If he is willing to settle, you will need someone to draft an enforceable agreement. With what is on the table, it would need to be reduced to writing, as a verbal agreement of this magnitude would not satisfy the "statute of frauds."

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Either way you need an attorney. If he is willing to settle, you will need someone to draft an enforceable agreement. With what is on the table, it would need to be reduced to writing, as a verbal agreement of this magnitude would not satisfy the "statute of frauds."

Users who are viewing this thread