Dog bite advice, please help

SVT4ME

Established Member
A 1 ½ years ago my son was walking to his friend’s house. As he was walking there a neighbor’s dog dug under its fence and got out. The dog left its yard and ran into the street. It bit my son on the back of his thigh. His friend witnessed everything. The bite wasn’t too bad but I called Animal Control and filed a complaint. They quarantined the dog and let it out after 10 days. I talked with the owner and told him I better not ever see that dog loose again. He promised the world.
Fast forward to yesterday, the same dude working in his garage with his dogs loose inside the garage with him. It sees my son and it runs across the street towards my son. My son sees the dog and runs in the opposite direction into the neighbor’s yard across the street. The dog follows him, knocks him down and bites him pretty bad on the calf. The neighbor pulls the dog off him and my son runs to his friend’s house. Once again he friend witness everything. He calls me crying in pain from his friend’s house. As I walk him home I see the neighbor and he apologizes for what happens and ask can we talk. I just say we talked the first time and I suggest he hire an attorney because I am.

I’ve called animal control and they came over but my son was still at the hospital. They will not begin the investigation until they verify the bite. They are scheduled to come over today.

Am thinking of hiring an attorney. What should I do? What should I expect? He was so negligent with his animal because he knew it bites. To let it out unleash is just criminal. Can I call the police and ask to file charges? For my son to suffer from an attack again makes from the same dog makes me pissed. Please help.

Adower

Established Member
I dont have any experience but I would hire an attorney. His dog is off the leash so I think he is responsible for the dog biting your son. You should be able to get back all your hospital bills and maybe try for pain and suffering? This is the 2nd time this has happened.

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
Definitely hire an attorney. The fact that it happened twice is what will win you your case. Plus they can look up any other incidents in which this dog has bitten any individual because I seriously doubt that your son was the only victim. These dogs needs to be put down. What kind of dog are we talking about?

boostaholic

Mile High
Established Member
I wouldn't get too litigious but that is inexcusable in my eyes. The dog will be put down and the owner should pay you a large sum of money to pay for the hospital bills and a bunch of new toys so your son can try to get over being attacked again. Even if the dog owner is a nice guy it isn't an excuse to raise such a poorly trained dog. The dog getting under the fence to attack is one thing but the owner should have the dog under much better control, the dog must be put down and the owner should not be allowed to own a dog.

SVT4ME

Established Member
SIr RicCuS said:
Definitely hire an attorney. The fact that it happened twice is what will win you your case. Plus they can look up any other incidents in which this dog has bitten any individual because I seriously doubt that your son was the only victim. These dogs needs to be put down. What kind of dog are we talking about?

Collie Sheppard mix

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
SVT4ME said:
A 1 ½ years ago my son was walking to his friend’s house. As he was walking there a neighbor’s dog dug under its fence and got out. The dog left its yard and ran into the street. It bit my son on the back of his thigh. His friend witnessed everything. The bite wasn’t too bad but I called Animal Control and filed a complaint. They quarantined the dog and let it out after 10 days. I talked with the owner and told him I better not ever see that dog loose again. He promised the world.
Fast forward to yesterday, the same dude working in his garage with his dogs loose inside the garage with him. It sees my son and it runs across the street towards my son. My son sees the dog and runs in the opposite direction into the neighbor’s yard across the street. The dog follows him, knocks him down and bites him pretty bad on the calf. The neighbor pulls the dog off him and my son runs to his friend’s house. Once again he friend witness everything. He calls me crying in pain from his friend’s house. As I walk him home I see the neighbor and he apologizes for what happens and ask can we talk. I just say we talked the first time and I suggest he hire an attorney because I am.

I’ve called animal control and they came over but my son was still at the hospital. They will not begin the investigation until they verify the bite. They are scheduled to come over today.

Am thinking of hiring an attorney. What should I do? What should I expect? He was so negligent with his animal because he knew it bites. To let it out unleash is just criminal. Can I call the police and ask to file charges? For my son to suffer from an attack again makes from the same dog makes me pissed. Please help.

DEAD DOG, INSTANTLY! MUGGED NEIGHBOR! Bail money and a lawyer.

Obviously this is not the answer for everybody. But you mess with my family "twice", you're # is up.

Fern you probably did the right thing. Your son doesn't need you in jail right now.

File a report with the police, animal control, the district attorney and get a VERY good lawyer.

If you see that focking dog out again, SHOOT IT!

This shit pissed me off. It's not usually the dog's fault. It's the ignorant owner for not cuffing, training the dog.

The same thing happened to my niece a few years ago.

I won't say what I did, but I lost it.:cuss:

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
At the risk of being the devil's advocate here, what was your son doing to provoke the animal? Anything? Seems like a piece of the story is missing if your son is the only person the dog has ever attacked and it was 1.5 years apart.

I'm not blaming your son so don't get me wrong. I just think we aren't getting the paul harvey here. By all means, the dog needs to be put down because this is unacceptable. I have had approximately 60 stitches from a german shepard that couldn't control himself and have a zero tolerance attitude towards dogs like this. Btw, can you have the neighbor put down too for being a negligent ass?

Yellow2003

Genetically lazy
Established Member
boostaholic said:
I wouldn't get too litigious but that is inexcusable in my eyes. The dog will be put down and the owner should pay you a large sum of money to pay for the hospital bills and a bunch of new toys so your son can try to get over being attacked again. Even if the dog owner is a nice guy it isn't an excuse to raise such a poorly trained dog. The dog getting under the fence to attack is one thing but the owner should have the dog under much better control, the dog must be put down and the owner should not be allowed to own a dog.
+1
If he fights it or makes excuses.... Loose the ambulance chasing, goons in the TV ads on him. They love "Dog Bite" cases :bored: Otherwise just the money to cover the bills and something really nice for the boy:shrug: And of course, the dog needs put down.:(

On a side note. Be sure to help the boy re-adjust to the whole "Dogs are mans best friend" idea. A similar incident when I was about 8 scared me to death of dogs in general. They can sense that. And as a result of me being noticeably affraid og them, dogs that never bit any one else, would g after me in a heartbeat. By the time I was in my teens, I was nearly phobic about any dog. If you can find a way around that for your son, would save him a lot of grief.

TrueBlueGT said:
At the risk of being the devil's advocate here, what was your son doing to provoke the animal? Anything? Seems like a piece of the story is missing if your son is the only person the dog has ever attacked and it was 1.5 years apart.

I'm not blaming your son so don't get me wrong. I just think we aren't getting the paul harvey here. By all means, the dog needs to be put down because this is unacceptable. I have had approximately 60 stitches from a german shepard that couldn't control himself and have a zero tolerance attitude towards dogs like this. Btw, can you have the neighbor put down too for being a negligent ass?

x2.. Not saying it was your son's fault either, but interested to see as to why he is the only person this dog has gone after.

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
VegasSVTWanted said:
x2.. Not saying it was your son's fault either, but interested to see as to why he is the only person this dog has gone after.

Nobody said that the son was the only individual that the dog has attacked, but the owner's not going to come out and say, "Sorry about that... My dog attacks people on a regular basis so don't worry about it."

He'll have to find out if any other complaints were made once he gets an attorney and a case.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
SIr RicCuS said:
Nobody said that the son was the only individual that the dog has attacked, but the owner's not going to come out and say, "Sorry about that... My dog attacks people on a regular basis so don't worry about it."

He'll have to find out if any other complaints were made once he gets an attorney and a case.

The dog belongs to the neighbor of the bite victim's friend. One could assume that, over the course of time, a viscious dog would become opportunistic enough to bite the neighbor kid. However, both times the neighbor kid just stood there & watched it happen. Dog never bothered him:shrug: So what was the kid doing to the dog?

SVT4ME

Established Member
TrueBlueGT said:

He was running in a public street to his friends house. They always race there and he is the faster of the two. We live in a gated community with 68 homes all on 1/2 acres or larger.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
SVT4ME said:

If there is a leash law that applies to a dog while on unfenced (garage), you can file a criminal complaint.

The first attack put the owner on warning that his dog has a dangerous propensity. That makes him strictly liable for his negligent actions and the dog biting your son the second time. Additionally, if he did violate the leash law, depending on how the law is written, he can also be "negligent per se."

I would hire a very good attorney. A good attorney will salivate over this case, so make sure you get the best one - as they all will take the standard percentage.

vegaspackerfan

13 NFL championships!
Established Member
LIGHTNING LARRY said:
DEAD DOG, INSTANTLY! MUGGED NEIGHBOR! Bail money and a lawyer.

It's not usually the dog's fault.

+1 one.

LIGHTNING LARRY said:
It's not usually the dog's fault.

This time it is.

My post would have started, I just got of Clark County detention center. It cost me ______ amount of money to get me out. It sucked because I had to spend a day in jail and use a vacation day from work.

This is the second time this dog has bitten my son, he went to the hospital for the bite this time. Before you ask the first time the authorities were called and the quarantined the dog for 10 days at that time. The only reason this did not happen that time was because I understand accidents happen in life.

My question is this. I beat the shit out of the dogs owner and killed the dog. Can I use an temporary insanity plea. Do any of you know a good lawyer in the Las Vegas area?

VPF

vegaspackerfan

13 NFL championships!
Established Member
On a serious note. I hope your son is OK.

Here is a link that I found. never used them but they look good.

Bisnar & Chase, LLP
4495 South Pecos Road
Las Vegas, NV 69121

http://www.nevadadogbiteattorneys.com/

Here is another personal injury lawyer that is really good.

http://cpklaw.com/

In Nevada, there is no liability statute for an average dog bite. The common law for liability, however, states that if the plaintiff can prove that the dog owner's negligence lead to the dog bite injury, the plaintiff may recover damages for the dog bite injury.

If a dog is involved in a dog bite incident, the animal may be characterized by one of the following categories.

Dangerous - If, on two separate occasions within an 18-month period, the dog acts menacingly to a degree that a reasonable person would feel the need to defend himself, whenever the dog is off the owner's premises and/or not confined in a cage, pen or vehicle.

Hope this helps.

VPF

Last edited:

ULTIMATE ORANGE SS

Established Member
the dog and its owner need to be exterminated. i was bit on my ankle about 6 months ago at work. the only reason i didnt do anything was because the two cute girls were sympathetic and one started :cryying: . im not totally heartless but if those parents were there i wouldve had the police taking that mutt away and got a lawyer.

get a lawyer. your son is going to be scared shitless every time he sees a dog now. :nonono:

Users who are viewing this thread