Does the mustang pony emblem have a name?

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I hear the cobra emblem is named Jake the Snake.

Jake is Team Corvette's logo :shrug:

OP, I've always heard it called either the running pony or pony and bars. I've read a good bit of Mustang history and never came across a name for it other than that.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
Jake is Team Corvette's logo :shrug:

OP, I've always heard it called either the running pony or pony and bars. I've read a good bit of Mustang history and never came across a name for it other than that.

Yeah, I've heard "running pony" and "pony & bars" also and I've also read a lot of stuff about how the Mustang was originally named after the P-51 fighter plane.

It just seems to me if the Corvette folks have "Jake" and apparently the Viper contingent have "Stryker" the pony and the cobra should have proper names.

I think Ford could even make a nice "Name the pony / cobra" marketing campaign out of this for the Mustang's upcoming 65th anniversary.

Last edited:

REX-RACER

Established Member
Snake would be easy to name, Don. The Pony, that's a little tougher.

That's pretty good but I would imagine Don Prudhome has that trade marked.

On Jag's they call the cat on the hood a Leaper.

Yep, read about "Leaper" which is what got me interested in the pony.

Did a little digging and it looks like the Viper guys are pretty serious about "Stryker", it even has a page on the SRT website:

Stryker comes out to play. | driveSRT

Seriously, I think the Mustang Pony and Cobra deserve at least as much cred! I sent an e-mail through Ford's web site so I'll see if there is any "official response":

To whom it may concern,

I have been Mustang fan since I was a child and I have joyfully owned my 2001 Mustang Cobra since 2003. Recently I began wondering, as a matter of lore & trivia if the Mustang pony emblem and the Cobra emblem had ever been given proper nick-names? It's well known that the Chevrolet Corvette crowd has there "Jake" mascot and apparently even the Dodge Viper contingent has named their snake symbol "Stryker".

As a proud Mustang owner and fan I think it's time the pony & the cobra received a proper name. Perhaps Ford could consider a "Name the Pony & Cobra" promotional campaign to commemorate the Mustangs upcoming 65th anniversary?!

Thank you for your time and attention and I look forward to your response!

A proud Mustang owner

94svtcobraftw

Established Member
looking at the previous post, I'm surprised we didn't get a metion of Jack Mehoff or Mike Hunt. hahaha

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
Emily is Rolls Royce right?

Think the Stang is Jose

Spirit of Ecstasy

400px-Rolls-Royce_Corniche_-_Spirit_of_Ecstasy.jpg

REX-RACER

Established Member
. . . and, so here is the form letter response I got from someone who obviously just barely read my initial inquiry ( and also obviously isn't a Mustang hardcore fan ) :nonono:

Hello,

My name is Kei and I am from Ford's Customer Relationship Center (CRC). I had the opportunity to read your email regarding your suggestion about naming the Ford Mustang vehicles.

I'm glad to hear that you that you are a proud Ford owner. Your good news confirms our belief in the exceptional products. When customers like you send us positive feedback, you help reinforce our efforts to build the finest automotive products in the industry.

I appreciate you taking your time to share your comments and suggestion. To share general ideas with our company on how we can enhance our products and services, please visit:

> Ford Social: There’s something happening here at Ford. It’s new.

Here, you can also voice your opinions on what you would like to see in the next vehicle, such as additional security features, more convenience items, and so on. In addition, Ford Social is a place where you can share your experiences on owning a Ford or Lincoln product, get the latest updates on what is happening within the company, or catch up on exciting technologies and concepts being explored by Ford.

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company.

Sincerely,
Kei
Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
^
Now that's a big help! Not! I hate canned form letter type responses. LOL!

Mulldune

Established Member
If the Pony doesnt have a name,they need to find out the horses name from the infamous Mr.Hand vid,and name it after that horse

Users who are viewing this thread