Does LEO need permission to shoot radar from private prop?

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Well, we both said IF. lol

So as the property owner you have a couple choices as I see it.

1. Go ask him IF he knows If he is on private property or not.
2. Go check the records and see If he is on a RoW or on your property.
3. If you know he is indeed on your property ask him to leave or give permission to stay.

In most cases there is some type of RoW so I'd get my info together and take it from there.

But personally I'd have no issue with it as it can do more good than harm.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Well, we both said IF. lol

So as the property owner you have a couple choices as I see it.

1. Go ask him IF he knows If he is on private property or not.
2. Go check the records and see If he is on a RoW or on your property.
3. If you know he is indeed on your property ask him to leave or give permission to stay.

In most cases there is some type of RoW so I'd get my info together and take it from there.

But personally I'd have no issue with it as it can do more good than harm.

I think we agree for the most part. And I have no problem with helping out LEO's.... I just get a bit testy with my personal property. I'd throw the Pope off my property mid-sermon if he used it without my permission.:nono:

jean

Established Member
Do a survey and put a fence.

If you own the property look at the deed.
Accurate description of the lot with markers at each corner.

Last edited:

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Pay the neighbor up the road 100 bucks to say, "There is a radar cop on my property 1/2 mile in front of you!"

CWCobra

Established Member
This. Unless the officer is killing plants/flowers/grass, I wouldn't make an issue of it.

The other issue at play here would be where the actual property boundary would be. Most right of ways for roads don't end at the edge of the asphalt. They usually extend many feet beyond that.

I'm sure as heck not gonna make an issue of it. Last thing I wanna do is antagonize a guy just trying to slow traffic down a bit. But it is interesting to consider this: the LEO is DEFINITELY on private property, well beyond the street ROW (which is well-marked, BTW), and well beyond even the utility easement that runs along the property. He's just standin behind this big, ole maple tree, up on a bank, maybe 5 feet or so above street grade level. He's in a PERFECT spot: shady, excellent sight lines, well-hidden. But it's PRIVATE PROPERTY. I'd hate to think all the citations he's writing might get tossed just because he didn't have permission, or because of some obscure rule requiring radar to be shot from street ROW.

I don't really care either way. He's a frequent reminder to me to stay well below the posted limit. And besides, there are waaay too many fools doin 50 in our 35 zone anyhow. They need to slow down!!

I think I'll just take him a lemonade, and give him a pat on the back.

Last edited:

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
I'm sure as heck not gonna make an issue of it. Last thing I wanna do is antagonize a guy just trying to slow traffic down a bit. But it is interesting to consider this: the LEO is DEFINITELY on private property, well beyond the street ROW (which is well-marked, BTW), and well beyond even the utility easement that runs along the property. He's just standin behind this big, ole maple tree, up on a bank, maybe 5 feet or so above street grade level. He's in a PERFECT spot: shady, excellent sight lines, well-hidden. But it's PRIVATE PROPERTY. I'd hate to think all the citations he's writing might get tossed just because he didn't have permission, or because of some obscure rule requiring radar to be shot from street ROW.

I don't really care either way. He's a frequent reminder to me to stay well below the posted limit. And besides, there are waaay too many fools doin 50 in our 35 zone anyhow. They need to slow down!!

I think I'll just take him a lemonade, and give him a pat on the back.

He may be a rookie and not aware that he is technically trespassing, BUT it is nice to see that somebody actually can appreciate that this officer is taking an initiative to think and beat habitual speeders at their own game. Personally, as an LEO, I wouldn't have an issue with a fellow officer doing this in my yard.

Pumpkinator

U.S. Army
Established Member
WRONG. What you are referring to is an easement and they vary within in each Florida county depending on location and land use. My current easement is zero since I live in a private gated community where we even own the roads.

Well in my county it is 12ft...And the roads are county property. Who does the upkeep of the roads?

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
Take the guy a cold drink. Thank him for helping keep your neighborhood safe for your children and those of the community. In a bad situation, the difference in stopping distance between 30 MPH and 50 MPH is the difference between an "oh shit" moment and a funeral. You should be very pleased he's there because it is done with good intentions and your best interest in mind.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
Pay the neighbor up the road 100 bucks to say, "There is a radar cop on my property 1/2 mile in front of you!"

Well that 100 bucks might come in handy for the illegal posted signs/putting the sign on someone elses property, city ordinance (s)?
I see signs all the time (garage sells) posted on state/us highways and or taping them to traffic control devices. Any unauthorized signs is illegal and subject to a 200.00 fine.
Darn now what. LOL

46-062

Established Member
Take the guy a cold drink. Thank him for helping keep your neighborhood safe for your children and those of the community. In a bad situation, the difference in stopping distance between 30 MPH and 50 MPH is the difference between an "oh shit" moment and a funeral. You should be very pleased he's there because it is done with good intentions and your best interest in mind.

If I read one more claim of keeping the neighborhood safe for children, I'm going to hurl. I was a planning commissioner in a city of 80,000 when xduring a council meeting the mayor announced he wanted to install red light cameras to make sure "not one more child is hurt or killed in an intersection again." I asked the Director of planning how many children had been hurt or killed in intersections since the city's incorporation in 1917.

The answer was one injury. The child was hit by a marked police cruiser driven by an on-duty cop.

At a conditional use permit hearing for a permit to sell beer for a Mexican restaurant next to a public middle school, the superintendent of schools blathered about "drunks" running kids down.

Once again, I asked the Planning Director if kids had ever been run down in front of the school. The answer was yes. By parents of other kids who were double and triple parking. Whether or not the parents were drunk was unknown.

The simple facts are speeding tickets are written for two reasons:

1. At the order of local politicians to make themselves look good during the next election - Look at what I've done to stop children being killed in your neighborhood (see above).

2. To generate revenue. Radar traps and red light/speed cameras do not slow traffic. If you want to stop people running red lights, put a cop in the intersection. How does mailing a ticket two weeks after the infraction slow anybody down?

If you are truly concerned about speeders killing kids in your neighborhood, get the cops to park an old cruiser on the street with a dummy behind the wheel six days a week. On randomized seventh days, put a new police car with a live officer in its place. It works for Long Beach, CA at the end of the 710 Freeway. Everybody slows down because nobody's sure if the dummy in the police car is a mannequin or officer.

Explain how a cop shooting radar concealed in the shadows behind a big oak tree slows anybody who doesn't know he's there.

Last edited:

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
That's fantastic! Do you feel better with that off your chest? Btw I am one of the people that picks up the pieces when reality defies your statistics. Pretty easy to set in an office as a "planning commissioner" and talk tough. Wash a kid's blood off yourself a few times then come tell me how it is.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
The answer was one injury. The child was hit by a marked police cruiser driven by an on-duty cop.

At a conditional use permit hearing for a permit to sell beer for a Mexican restaurant next to a public middle school, the superintendent of schools blathered about "drunks" running kids down.

Once again, I asked the Planning Director if kids had ever been run down in front of the school. The answer was yes. By parents of other kids who were double and triple parking. Whether or not the parents were drunk was unknown.

That's fantastic! Do you feel better with that off your chest? Btw I am one of the people that picks up the pieces when reality defies your statistics. Pretty easy to set in an office as a "planning commissioner" and talk tough. Wash a kid's blood off yourself a few times then come tell me how it is.

hmmm, sounds like he has facts, and you are the one that picked the pieces of the kid off the cop car that ran that said kid down........

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Well in my county it is 12ft...And the roads are county property. Who does the upkeep of the roads?

Which Florida county is that, as I know of no county where easements are 12ft everywhere. It is dependent on the specific zoning.

Since our roads are private we maintain them.

46-062

Established Member

Yes. Yes, I do. Get off your pompous black and white. I've got over 4,000 hours logged as a police volunteer. That's on the street, in a patrol car and unlike you, I never got paid to clean up.

Radar traps and speed / red light cameras do not slow traffic. They generate revenue. If you want to stop washing children's blood off your hands, stop hiding behind oak trees shooting radar and put your uniformed ass in plain sight to slow speeders.

Want to slow speeders on the highway? Run your radar on all the time instead of instant on so more drivers with radar detectors slow down. Picking off one speeder with the trigger doesn't slow anybody else down. Got one out of 7,534 speeders!

Last edited:

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
And I'm not a cop. Around here, cops don't clean up the mess. EMS does. 4000 hours on duty eh? Then I guess I should bow down to you because you have seen everything right? I pulled that many hours in the first year and a half as a technician but what the hell would I know about it.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Yes. Yes, I do. Get off your pompous black and white. I've got over 4,000 hours logged as a police volunteer. That's on the street, in a patrol car and unlike you, I never got paid to clean up.

Radar traps and speed / red light cameras do not slow traffic. They generate revenue. If you want to stop washing children's blood off your hands, stop hiding behind oak trees shooting radar and put your uniformed ass in plain sight to slow speeders.

Want to slow speeders on the highway? Run your radar on all the time instead of instant on so more drivers with radar detectors slow down. Picking off one speeder with the trigger doesn't slow anybody else down. Got one out of 7,534 speeders!

What is this "police volunteer" position? Where did you do this and what training did you undertake in order to volunteer?

Users who are viewing this thread