Does LEO need permission to shoot radar from private prop?

CWCobra

Established Member
Local LEOs regularly park their patrol car around the corner, then stand behind a tree in my neighbor's front yard to shoot radar at on-coming traffic.
Does LEO need porperty owner's permission? My neighbor is reluctant to raise the issue with LEOs, as am I. Obviously, LEO has the Motorola, the ticket book, and the gun. He ultimately can do anything he wants, I suppose. I am curious enough to post here, just for information only.

Thanks in advance.

Driver500

Established Member
Better to get to know the Leo and offer cold drinks on hot days than kick him off the lawn. You've been given a chance to pick up a nice get out of jail free card if you make friends.

motoman991

Banned
get-off-my-lawn.jpg

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Better to get to know the Leo and offer cold drinks on hot days than kick him off the lawn. You've been given a chance to pick up a nice get out of jail free card if you make friends.

This. Unless the officer is killing plants/flowers/grass, I wouldn't make an issue of it.

The other issue at play here would be where the actual property boundary would be. Most right of ways for roads don't end at the edge of the asphalt. They usually extend many feet beyond that.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
yeah most states you need to check where your property line actually stops.

I'm sure you could ask them to leave. Is that wise? Probably not. Friends mom used to bake cookies for the ones in Winter Park that hid down her street for the kids on the way to school.

hotcobra03

Established Member
they can do what ever they want...protect and serve

try to talk with him when hes working..maybe it will bug him enough to move to another spot

fiveohpoepoe

Established Member
What issue is it causing? If they are effective and slowing down traffic on your road seems that is a win for you and your neighbors.

99PunisherSVT

Established Member
A very misguided friend of mine once told me very confidently, "If there is a cop parked on your property you have every right to ram them with your vehicle." Now mind you this was also the same friend who claimed that "AK-47's are made in New Hampshire" along with plenty more ridiculous statements.

Seriously though, make friends. You never know when you might need a favor.

COBRA_ESQ

Established Member
This^^^^

What issue is it causing? If they are effective and slowing down traffic on your road seems that is a win for you and your neighbors.
And this ^^^^^

But if not, your neighbor can nicely ask him if he could go somewhere else because he is catching flack from people in the neighborhood.

Pumpkinator

U.S. Army
Established Member
This. Unless the officer is killing plants/flowers/grass, I wouldn't make an issue of it.

The other issue at play here would be where the actual property boundary would be. Most right of ways for roads don't end at the edge of the asphalt. They usually extend many feet beyond that.

^ true story. In Florida property extends 12ft into your front yard from the road. So that means that a LEO can park in your yard and you have no say because it is county property.

Last edited:

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
Here in Texas there is an easement in most home of 6-10'. I agree if the officer is damaging something then I wouldn't worry too much.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
^ true story. In Florida property extends 12ft into your front yard from the road. So that means that a LEO can park in your yard and you have no say because it is county property.

WRONG. What you are referring to is an easement and they vary within in each Florida county depending on location and land use. My current easement is zero since I live in a private gated community where we even own the roads.

Planter

Banned
Local LEOs regularly park their patrol car around the corner, then stand behind a tree in my neighbor's front yard to shoot radar at on-coming traffic.
Does LEO need porperty owner's permission? My neighbor is reluctant to raise the issue with LEOs, as am I. Obviously, LEO has the Motorola, the ticket book, and the gun. He ultimately can do anything he wants, I suppose. I am curious enough to post here, just for information only.

Thanks in advance.

depends on the state, but usually it is against the law to use someone's property without their permission to run radar. However, you don't have any idea if the neighbor knows the cop and gave him permission. They could be friends, family, whatever. Unless it's your yard, and you know all the facts, best bet is mind your own business.

If it was my personal lawn I would take note of the number on his car, kindly ask him to get off my property, and then I would be calling the station and voicing my displeasure that one of their officers thinks it's ok to trample on my carefully manicured golf-course quality lawn without first inquiring if he had permission or not.

oldmodman

Established Member
Turn on the sprinkler?

Ask Jose' to pay special attention to that area with the blower?

Crawl across the lawn and attach 100 cans to his back bumper?

Sneak up behind his car and write hilarious slogans across the back?

Come on people. Lets show some originality here.:banana:

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member

The issue is if he is on someone's private property without permission or has a warrant it's illegal no matter who is doing it or what their intent is, come on man- I thought LEO's had to respect the law even if it's unpopular:shrug:..... now as someone else pointed out there may be a causeway or some type of covenant that dictates exactly where public access ends and private property begins. But if it was MY property I'd at the very least have a conversation with the LEO and or his supervisor about the situation. A LEO can at the very least ASK to use the property first- is that asking too much? Sheesh- give a guy a badge and now they can do w/e? What kind of mentality is that?

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
The issue is if he is on someone's private property without permission or has a warrant it's illegal no matter who is doing it or what their intent is, come on man- I thought LEO's had to respect the law even if it's unpopular:shrug:..... now as someone else pointed out there may be a causeway or some type of covenant that dictates exactly where public access ends and private property begins. But if it was MY property I'd at the very least have a conversation with the LEO and or his supervisor about the situation. A LEO can at the very least ASK to use the property first- is that asking too much? Sheesh- give a guy a badge and now they can do w/e? What kind of mentality is that?

What if there is a right of way that the LEO already knows about?
You are condemning him and all people with badges without knowing.

A property owner can go to the court house/city hall/where ever the records are kept and look at the deeds and drawings or surveys that show any and all right of ways.

Down here any new local road must have a 50ft RoW in our parish (County for the rest of you)
Road is 20ft so you have to have 15ft on either side for the RoW.
It used to be 40ft years ago.

If it is a state road it may be more.

With that said, if it cuts down on speeding in my neghborhood where my kids play I have no issue with it.
It also may help to deter thieves, vandals or anything else illegal.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
What if there is a right of way that the LEO already knows about?
You are condemning him and all people with badges without knowing.

A property owner can go to the court house/city hall/where ever the records are kept and look at the deeds and drawings or surveys that show any and all right of ways.

Down here any new local road must have a 50ft RoW in our parish (County for the rest of you)
Road is 20ft so you have to have 15ft on either side for the RoW.
It used to be 40ft years ago.

If it is a state road it may be more.

With that said, if it cuts down on speeding in my neghborhood where my kids play I have no issue with it.
It also may help to deter thieves, vandals or anything else illegal.

Actually if you go back and read what I wrote you'll see I'm talking about IF he's on private property and NOT on a PUBLIC causeway or easement. Come on man.

And IF he's on MY property without MY permission I don't care what his intent is. Like I said before- is it really too much to ask that the state not use my property illegally? I seriously don't think I'm asking too much here. I'm a huge fan of Law Enforcement- I'm 99% certain I'd tell them to go ahead. But shouldn't it be MY call and not theirs?:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread