Does ford/lincoln need a coyote based rwd sedan?

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
You have your experience and I have mine.

I daily drive my vehicles. Even from the first time I test drove my current CTS-V, I immediately fell in love with the low end grunt. I sold my 2013 5.0 and I do not regret it, as I am not over 4,000 RPM a lot during my daily drives.

If the CTS-V is your standard then i guess 99.9% of the vehicles on the road are gutless as well. The LT4 also best the viper v10 in torque and it has the highest displacement of any production vehicle.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Don't forget that Lincoln has a 3.0TT V6 with 400hp/400tq and with a tune it's making some very solid numbers compared to the 3.5TT in the older Lincolns. I love my '12 MKS and with a tune it moves out great, but I wouldn't mind having it RWD biased instead of FWD (as well as V8 rumble).

helloWorld

Established Member
If the CTS-V is your standard then i guess 99.9% of the vehicles on the road are gutless as well. The LT4 also best the viper v10 in torque and it has the highest displacement of any production vehicle.

I realize my comparison is extreme, but I still can not see that mustang version coyote being in a 4k+ pound vehicle without doing something to increase low end torque.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Ford is all a board the ecoboost wagon. Nothing will have a v8 again outside of the Mustang F-series trucks. G8 GT is next on my list of cars to have.

Last edited:

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
I realize my comparison is extreme, but I still can not see that mustang version coyote being in a 4k+ pound vehicle without doing something to increase low end torque.

you cant see the coyote being in a 4k pound vehicle but you totally ignore the fact that there are over 1 million coyote powered f150s on the road? Depending on cab configuration f150 curb weights can get close to 6,000lbs.

Peoples perceptions are skewed. The 04 cobra was "only" rated for 390lb-ft and it was supercharged.

helloWorld

Established Member
you cant see the coyote being in a 4k pound vehicle but you totally ignore the fact that there are over 1 million coyote powered f150s on the road? Depending on cab configuration f150 curb weights can get close to 6,000lbs.

Peoples perceptions are skewed. The 04 cobra was "only" rated for 390lb-ft and it was supercharged.

I have not seen a dyno comparing the torque curve between the truck and car versions of the coyote, but I can only assume the truck coyote is tuned for towing and more low-end torque. I am also assuming the gear ratio is much shorter on the truck. My auto '13 mustang came with 3.15s so that is what I am also comparing my experience to.

LMR has a comparison sheet between the mustang and truck coyote: https://lmr.com/products/what-makes-a-coyote-f150-engine-different

As far as the '03 and '04 cobras are concerned, I am assuming the torque curve is a lot flatter and less peaky compared to the mustang coyote.

Blown 89

Established Member
Look... I'm just gonna say this. I don't know about a coyote in anything but the only thing I think Lincoln needs to do is make better looking vehicles. Lexus and Infiniti look way better. Even Acura and Cadillac look better. I wouldn't even compare Lincoln to any of the German luxury brands. Seems like Buick left Lincoln to be the only "old-people" car brand.
Spot on. Lincoln = old man car. They need new desiners

Vonbrandwolf

Established Member
Surely you 2 must be joking. The coyote seems to have no problem pushing my f-150. With me in it and fuel it weighs 6,000lbs and has the aerodynamics of a small home. Even when towing it has no problem getting the load moving.

To keep things in perspective, the last panther platform cars (crown vic, mercury GM, town car) were all over 4,200lb curb weight and were powered by anemic 4.6l 2v with only about 220hp/280lb-ft.

the charger R/t hemi 5.7 and the coyote are within 10lb-ft of each other.

Stole the words outta my mouth. I've towed 8000 lbs with my F150 through mountains and it did better than my old F350 with its boat anchor 460.
The coyote simply needs the proper gearing and it shines like Christmas. The new DI coyote for 2018 will very likely have 475 hp and 455 ft lbs and I would snuff a drifter to have that motor in a 3600 lb rwd sedan.

Vonbrandwolf

Established Member
LOL at the whole $40K you do know the SS is in the $45+ market segment

You do know the Mustang is in the 25-40k market segment, right?
The SS is a 3 option car with one engine and two transmissions. If they sold a down-market version of that chassis with a turbo 4 and six it would offset the cost of the chassis and lower the cost of the higher end models.

Edited for trolling

Last edited:

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Hmmmm.... Crown Vic with a 4v headswap or Marauder.... if youre into a sedan that would be a sweet ride and fun fambam mobile.

As far as going forward, i hate to say it but it looks like Ford and V8 rwd sedans are finito.

Unless Kia can prove that their new V8 sedan is a winner and they sell like hotcakes, im afraid you won't see new ones anytime soon.

On that note id be pissed if they did bring out a RWD V8 sedan instead of making the next GT500....

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
I wouldn't mind a Marauder. One of my refinery clients took me to lunch in his and I was quite amazed at its performance. It really was like a 4 door Mustang.

But as for a V8 RWD sedan? The ship set sail already. If Ford dropped the V8 for an EB V6 in the Expedition, it's a stretch to think they'll put one in a sedan.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
Lincoln will be having a Lincoln coupe that is RWD in 2021. Autoforecast Soloutions shows it is slated for 2021. It was also mentioned on Autoline Detroit:

No doubt most of you remember the Lincoln Mark series that started with the Mark I in 1948, all the way to the last Mark VIII made in 1998. Well it sure looks like the Lincoln Motor Company is getting ready to revive that lineup with an all new Mark IX. According to Auto Forecast Solutions LLC, a Lincoln Mark IX is slated to be built at Ford’s Flat Rock assembly plant in January, 2022. From the sound of it, it will be a low-volume niche product that could be a coupe or convertible. Of course, 2022 is seven years away and a lot could change between now and then. But as of right now, a Mark IX is part of Lincoln’s product plan.

http://www.fordinsidenews.com/forum...lincoln-mark-series-return.html?action=thread

Dusten

Established Member
If you look at sales numbers, most manufacturers sell 15-30k rear drive sedans a year. Thats total volume, not just V8s. For ford to design a platform and put a v8 in it, the sales numbers just aren't there.

Gravik

Established Member
I want a crown vic with a coyote and 6r80.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
With the current low-RPM torque that the coyote can not produce, a heavy four door sedan will be absolutely gutless as a daily driver. They might be able to artificially fight that with a ten speed automatic paired with short gears.

This was honestly my thought as well. The coyote wouldn't be my first choice in a car like that. Same reason those cars in the past like the Continentals had the larger 430-460 engines in them. That driving segment even today wants lazy torque, not a high rpm screamer.

Someone already swapped a F150 spec coyote and 6R80 into a Marauder (he did put a stock GT intake on it) and with the stock 2-2 1/4" exhaust and 3.55 rear gears on a factory F150 tune, it ran a 13.7 in the 1/4. I am sure A mustang engine, better factory exhaust (that exhaust was made for a 210hp 2v back in the early 90s) and a good tune setup for the car would put it dead on with a chevy SS in the 1/4. Hell, the new 10 speed would probably put it in the mid 12's if not faster.

Hmmmm.... Crown Vic with a 4v headswap or Marauder.... if youre into a sedan that would be a sweet ride and fun fambam mobile.

Not worth doing a 4v swap on a 2v panther, just buy the better car in the first place.

I wouldn't mind a Marauder. One of my refinery clients took me to lunch in his and I was quite amazed at its performance. It really was like a 4 door Mustang.

They had the straight line performance of a 05-10 V6 in stock trim.

I want a crown vic with a coyote and 6r80.

You'd have a driveline worth 5x the price of the car before you spent a dollar on aftermarket parts.

Users who are viewing this thread