Does ford/lincoln need a coyote based rwd sedan?

Vonbrandwolf

Established Member
Thought I'd resurrect this thread because of all the new Mustang announcements.
I'm in the market for a new car right now and I'd kill for a Fusion sized rwd V8 sedan.
I've always been a Ford guy and love the Mustang but I need 4 doors.
To me a rwd sport sedan with multiple drivetrain options makes sense. Offer a base model with the EB 2.0 and a manual transmission, midrange sport model with the EB 2.7, and a high end V8 model with the direct injection coyote and mustang transmissions.
Ford, do I really have to beg? Throw me a bone here.
https://www.svtperformance.com/foru...incoln-need-a-coyote-based-rwd-sedan.1116571/

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Doubtful.

Think the best we'll see is what we have now in the Fusion sport. Love to be wrong though. Could the Fusion engine bay support a 5.0?

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
They are sorely in need of a big rwd sedan. They have nothing to compete with the chrysler LX platform (charger, 300, magnum, challenger), nothing to compete to the GM alpha/zeta chassis, and they have nothing to compete with all the v8, rwd sedans coming out of asia these days.

Lincoln is a complete joke and outside of the mustang, f150 and explorer ford is lacking as well.

My next car will either be a mercury marauder with a whipple or a pontiac g8 gxp.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Ford might, but Lincoln sure doesn't.

That's a really difficult market to get into, the CTS is a great car, priced right but they sell like 15k of them per year. The e class triples what they do, and the 5 series doubles that.

Not to mention sales for sedans have been declining for a few years. I think it would be a tough sale to the bean counters.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
They are sorely in need of a big rwd sedan. They have nothing to compete with the chrysler LX platform (charger, 300, magnum, challenger), nothing to compete to the GM alpha/zeta chassis, and they have nothing to compete with all the v8, rwd sedans coming out of asia these days.

Lincoln is a complete joke and outside of the mustang, f150 and explorer ford is lacking as well.

My next car will either be a mercury marauder with a whipple or a pontiac g8 gxp.

Huge +1

I would love a rwd (or even awd) V8 ford sedan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
If Ford sold an attractive RWD V8 sedan with an available 6spd, I would have bought one last summer when I bought my Mustang. I was seriously considering a fusion sport at the time.

Buy a Marauder and FI it. They are nice cars.

They are also getting very old and very beat from doing hood duty all these years.

PS: Taking a stock marauder and throwing an eaton or small vortech on it will get you on par with chevy SS straight line performance. Not really enough to keep up with new cars these days.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Seeing how much trouble the local chevy dealers have moving the SS and also seeing anecdotally that the majority of charger's sold are v6 awd deals in the area, I'm not surprised Ford isn't in that market. It's a tough segment by virtue of not really being all that popular.

I love the idea of a big v8 rwd lincoln, but realistically, I'm in the minority. The buying public is gaga over cross-overs right now. So while I think it would be cool to see an offering like that, I would never say that Ford needs to be in that market. It's too niche and the margins are going to be too small IMHO.

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
Look... I'm just gonna say this. I don't know about a coyote in anything but the only thing I think Lincoln needs to do is make better looking vehicles. Lexus and Infiniti look way better. Even Acura and Cadillac look better. I wouldn't even compare Lincoln to any of the German luxury brands. Seems like Buick left Lincoln to be the only "old-people" car brand.

Vonbrandwolf

Established Member
Doubtful.

Think the best we'll see is what we have now in the Fusion sport. Love to be wrong though. Could the Fusion engine bay support a 5.0?

I drove the Fusion sport the other day and while the 2.7 has decent umph the fwd chassis has all the driving dynamics of a Fridgidaire.
Driven back to back with a used BMW 5 series and a Chevy SS, the Fusion got dropped from my short list completely.
While I want a new car warranty, I don't want a commuter in the $50k price range. That eliminates the 5 series, ctsv and anything Lincoln would sell. This really seems like a no brainer for the Ford brand. Build a rwd four door sedan and sell the damn thing in the $25k to $40k market to the 25-34 age demo.
I want to buy American here, ford. Do something!

helloWorld

Established Member
With the current low-RPM torque that the coyote can not produce, a heavy four door sedan will be absolutely gutless as a daily driver. They might be able to artificially fight that with a ten speed automatic paired with short gears.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
With the new Continental and then Navigator coming out, Lincoln will probably pass up Infiniti in sales. They aren't in as bad of shape as everyone thinks but they definitely have a long ways to go. I'm certainly interested in the new Continental.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
With the current low-RPM torque that the coyote can not produce, a heavy four door sedan will be absolutely gutless as a daily driver. They might be able to artificially fight that with a ten speed automatic paired with short gears.

This was honestly my thought as well. The coyote wouldn't be my first choice in a car like that. Same reason those cars in the past like the Continentals had the larger 430-460 engines in them. That driving segment even today wants lazy torque, not a high rpm screamer.

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
V8 RWD sedan is just not the direction Ford is going in....I'd be willing to bet within 2 years the only Ford vehicles that come with a v8 are the Mustang and Superduty trucks.

It would be nice if Ford put the coyote in the Tarus AWD platform tho

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
The Chevy SS is no more unfortunately.

I bet in 10 years, that car will still have most of it's value. I don't see them dropping.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member

This was honestly my thought as well. The coyote wouldn't be my first choice in a car like that. Same reason those cars in the past like the Continentals had the larger 430-460 engines in them. That driving segment even today wants lazy torque, not a high rpm screamer.

Surely you 2 must be joking. The coyote seems to have no problem pushing my f-150. With me in it and fuel it weighs 6,000lbs and has the aerodynamics of a small home. Even when towing it has no problem getting the load moving.

To keep things in perspective, the last panther platform cars (crown vic, mercury GM, town car) were all over 4,200lb curb weight and were powered by anemic 4.6l 2v with only about 220hp/280lb-ft.

the charger R/t hemi 5.7 and the coyote are within 10lb-ft of each other.

helloWorld

Established Member
Surely you 2 must be joking. The coyote seems to have no problem pushing my f-150. With me in it and fuel it weighs 6,000lbs and has the aerodynamics of a small home. Even when towing it has no problem getting the load moving.

To keep things in perspective, the last panther platform cars (crown vic, mercury GM, town car) were all over 4,200lb curb weight and were powered by anemic 4.6l 2v with only about 220hp/280lb-ft.

You have your experience and I have mine.

I daily drive my vehicles. Even from the first time I test drove my current CTS-V, I immediately fell in love with the low end grunt. I sold my 2013 5.0 and I do not regret it, as I am not over 4,000 RPM a lot during my daily drives.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member

I didn't say it was incapable, I simply said it wouldn't be my choice. However since Ford basically only has the coyote architecture at this point, I would absolutely put a truck based coyote into a car like this over a mustang based coyote. The truck variant by nature has more grunt.

Users who are viewing this thread