does a diff. mid pipe really help performance or is just for sound?

Stingers mid pipe

• O/R X

Votes: 74 33.5%
  • catted X

Votes: 85 38.5%
  • leave it alone! stock H

Votes: 62 28.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeoGSVT

Banned
i really want to get the borla stingers, everyone says the sound perfect with the stock H pipe..There arent any good sound clip/videos out there to help me decide on a mid pipe so i may just leave the mid pipe alone...but im looking to get the most power out of my car..does a diffrent mid pipe really add that much power? ive heard 10rwhp...with cats... with out cats...so many diffrent options! could i possibly see some dyno graphs?? i also like my exhaust loud! but i like it clean as well..i know the stingers arent quite but im wonder if they are not loud enough and need a new mid pipe...if the gains arent much and the sound doesnt need to get much louder i will stay with the stock H...not to fond of the aftermaker H's....people who beg to differ convince me!!!

Last edited:

Zinc03Cobra

Super Trooper
Established Member
I think there's torque to be lost down low with a off road midpipe, but gains up top in horsepower. if it's a catted pipe vs off road pipe, i think there's maybe 5 to 10 hp difference? Not a whole lot. I personally think it's just for sound. I love it :)

astippich

Established Member
I would have to vote for a mrt catted h, but its not up there.

Kovachian

Me vs. Earth
Established Member
It's an accepted fact that an H helps with torque but due to the crossover pipe, the exhaust pulses never meet directly so scavenging isn't too great. The back pressure from this helps with torque but only breathes so-so up top so you don't gain much hp. The higher the rpm, the less time that the exhaust pulses have to "crossover" and equalize. An X has better exhaust scavenging due to the exhaust pulses running into each other in alternation. Slightly less backpressure there means a little less torque but really shines on hp. The higher the rpm, the better the X pipe works.

An H pipe gives a deeper rumble whereas an X tends to be more midrange and raspy. These are just generalizations; every rule has an exception somewhere but these characteristics are 98% true.

Last edited:

ModsAway

Established Member
I say just leave it, The Stingers are loud enough and thats an awful lot of money to spend for 5-10hp AT MOST.

I have been shoping for a mid pipe lately as well but I think I have finally decided that it just isn't worth it right now. Besides I think I have decided to bite the bullet and kiss my warranty goodbye in the spring so I will need money for that. CHIP/PULLEY time!!!

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
i gained 7rwhp and 5rwtq with my MRT Catted H

why are there no h-pipes in the poll???????????????????

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
LeoGSVT said:
its so hard to decide with out hearing them

yes it is..so u just have to do it and go by what people say. i mean i can post a vid but it doesnt show the true sound of it...well kinda

redfire03 svt

Established Member
offroad x with the stingers sound nasty. If you like it loud that is. My combo is very loud at WOT, but that is how I like it. BTW, I picked up 13rwhp with my UPR offroad x-pipe. They are now selling them for $139.00 at uprproducts.com which is a steal for the type of sound and power gains I think.

Fast Willy

Established Member
I am ordering my bassani ss off road pipe in a few days and plan on getting the stingers later on. I've heard about 15 to 20 rwhpwith an off road pip. And as far as sound goes I've heard the bassani off road x and the borla stingers and wow was it loud but so clean and deep at the same time.

JAXCOBRA99

Established Member
Would a catted X pipe be sorta the best of both worlds? It has the excellent scavenging effects up top but with the cats still helping to provide sufficient backpressure for down low torque?

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
yea i'd go with offroad but here in cali i believe you have to have 4 cats and it wouldn't pass emmisions. i think i would get a ticket too, anyone from cali have any personal experience? go with the catted bassani x right?

DOHC Holliday

robot clean
Established Member
I ran an 0/R x on my '03 with a Magnaflow cat-back and it sounded like shit. A little raspier though.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I just had the catted prochamber installed with my SLP loudmouth catback I already had on...It is very sick!!. It made it much deeper, and a little louder than it already was. But not so much it is annoying.

Big_Torch

Banned
Just got my upr o/r x on. It sounds like ass at 2500, but only right at 2500 it sounds like a fart cannon, up top its mean as hell. I lost 9 trq and gained 0 hp. For 130 bucks i can say for the sound its worth it, for anything over 200 no way in hell would i pay for no hp, or maybe i got unluck :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread