Does a change in altitude require a tune?

pridemore54

Established Member
I finally acquired my dream car, a 2003 Sonic Blue Terminator. It's being shipped from Utah (4,700') to me in Tennessee (900'). The car has some pretty significant mods, some of which are new to me. Such as a Whipple 2.9 running on E85 and meth injection. It was also tuned out there in Utah.

Does a drastic change in elevation like this generally require a retune to prevent issues or catastrophic failure? I'm guessing the MAF would make up for the change in air density but I'm not exactly willing to bet my engine on it lol.

Here's a pic for the hell of it. I'm effin stoked!
309494859_10227243914826734_4455196779793234609_n.jpg

pridemore54

Established Member
it shouldn't, but you can always verifyt the tune on a dyno
Good idea, I intend to get it tuned sooner than later anyways so that I can run 93 during longer trips.

So if anyone has recommendations for tuners out in East Tennessee, I'm listening lol

pridemore54

Established Member
I'd take it to Pro-Dyno in Fort Mill, SC.
hmm 4 hours away. Not terrible. I'll look into them. I've been out of the game awhile since selling my GT500 years ago so I likely don't know all the big names in the game currently.

Thanks for the suggestion

MG0h3

Established Member
You’re going to pick up @2-3 psi.

I bought my car at sea level. 2.9 Whipple @15PSI. Drove it to El Paso and only seeing 12 psi.

Went a year like that without knowing it until I installed a boost gauge that went over 10.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

pridemore54

Established Member
Did you have a compression/leakdown test done before u bought it?
I did not. Car has a really good history and seller also has a history of being a stand up guy. It's more risk than I'd normally take, but it's just not feasible to drive 27 hours one way then back. Or fly out and try to drive it home on an E85 only tune.

dan1982

Established Member
I did not. Car has a really good history and seller also has a history of being a stand up guy. It's more risk than I'd normally take, but it's just not feasible to drive 27 hours one way then back. Or fly out and try to drive it home on an E85 only tune.
You could have had an independant shop do it........ just to check engine health. If nothing else just to make sure different cylinders dont have wide variances in compression. simple tests to do or have done. Even now... when u take delivery. You should honestly get it done.

Users who are viewing this thread