Dodge Demon vs. Ford GT 1/2 Mile

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
correct.

In 1/2 mile / mile / 1.5 mile - No one gives a shit about how long it takes to cross the beams, people care about how fast you crossed them at.

I’m the same way about 1/4 ET’s at our local tracks since they don’t prep for shit.

Show me the MPH... that is usually a better indicator of the faster car anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

gofast15

Established Member
correct.

In 1/2 mile / mile / 1.5 mile - No one gives a shit about how long it takes to cross the beams, people care about how fast you crossed them at.

Absolutely not unless you are one of these big guns with 1500hp+ cars that make 2 solo passes a day . How many times have you run your car at 1/2 mile ? I have been to around 10 1/2 mile events so far , made around 200 runs .Most of the guys care about crossing the line first vs trap speed when they run against other car There are guys setting up races in pits all the time , they go out there to have fun and line up against other cars . 90% of 1/2 mile runs I made were setup races against other cars . if all you want to see is a trap speed in 1/2 mile then get a dragy and make 1 pass on the street . That's why they have 2 cars racing side by side , starting with staging lights or an arm drop .they also do a set of cons if it's a 1/2 mile roll race . it's pretty cool to see the difference between engine power band , transmission shifting speed and aerodynamics .I don't think I ever had anybody saying [ hey man you crossed the line like 3 cars ahead of me but I won the race because you had like 1 mph speed lower then me ] . I have run against 3 big turbo 4 cylinder cars out there from a 40mph roll , those cars were trapping 3-6 mph higher then me but had shitty power band and got beat pretty bad

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I don't even know if that matters when they don't start to reel him in from bus lengths back until they're doing 140+

Perhaps. Although the car that traps higher is usually a lot faster in practice.

We weren’t there so hard to say just how long it took for them to get “on the pipe”.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

boduke0220

Established Member
Ya for those who have not done half-mile events. The prep is seriously worse than some streets, especially ocala. I haven't run at this strip but it's very possible considering the soils are probably similar that the traction/sand issues are as bad or worse.

Also, most people who do half mile stuff don't really treat it as a drag race. It's all about top speed. Mostly because of the traction issues.

I agree ^^ Ocala is like ice skating! I took my tvs S550 down there last year and was burning the tires of at 80+ if I really laid into it. car will not do that on the street. I really like the Charlotte, NC 1/2 mile they did in 2017. It hooked pretty good there.

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member
Absolutely not unless you are one of these big guns with 1500hp+ cars that make 2 solo passes a day . How many times have you run your car at 1/2 mile ? I have been to around 10 1/2 mile events so far , made around 200 runs .Most of the guys care about crossing the line first vs trap speed when they run against other car There are guys setting up races in pits all the time , they go out there to have fun and line up against other cars . 90% of 1/2 mile runs I made were setup races against other cars . if all you want to see is a trap speed in 1/2 mile then get a dragy and make 1 pass on the street . That's why they have 2 cars racing side by side , starting with staging lights or an arm drop .they also do a set of cons if it's a 1/2 mile roll race . it's pretty cool to see the difference between engine power band , transmission shifting speed and aerodynamics .I don't think I ever had anybody saying [ hey man you crossed the line like 3 cars ahead of me but I won the race because you had like 1 mph speed lower then me ] . I have run against 3 big turbo 4 cylinder cars out there from a 40mph roll , those cars were trapping 3-6 mph higher then me but had shitty power band and got beat pretty bad

see I went with a shop, with a purpose....so *shrug*

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
Ford GT coefficient of drag in V-max mode (lowest) is .388 according to Ford.

thanks, i read the wrong vehicle, it was in a list and im getting older than i want to admit.

interestingly enough, ford lists both .38 and .35 for a Cd.

perhaps more importantly, the ford gt has a frontal area of 19.14 square feet vs the demon at 29.96 square feet.

Curt@injected

This has not been my experience in any of the half mile events I have attended over the last 4-5 years in georgia, florida, indiana, new orleans, etc. It's always about who can hit the higher top speed.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
thanks, i read the wrong vehicle, it was in a list and im getting older than i want to admit.

interestingly enough, ford lists both .38 and .35 for a Cd.

perhaps more importantly, the ford gt has a frontal area of 19.14 square feet vs the demon at 29.96 square feet.
Yeah, which will account for the ability for the car to cut through the air.

Drag coefficients of super cars can be quite high due to the amount of down force they create, but the small frontal area makes them pretty slick.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Both were doing 157.xx mph at the end, with the GT going a hair faster. The slip is in the video later on

Users who are viewing this thread