Dodge DEMON on 93, No Skinnies and No Transbrake - Drag Vid

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Preach. I guess just because the sun shines some get carried away and forget it’s only mid March.....lololol
Expectations are high plus March is a lot more friendly for blower cars than say June. I know I'm envious as I still have about 6-8 weeks before the track opens. Plus new toy syndrome so of course we all want to see what it's doing real world.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
The complaint is when u spend a $100-150k for a car u expect it to perform as tested. That simply is NOT what is happening and the mph isn't even close with all the videos I have seen.

Its a wicked car no doubt and looks totally badass but no one keeps their car stock so a warranty really don't mean dick! Unless ur happy with bolt on mustang Times for a $100k cause without modifying it that is as FAST as it will get. low 10's are fast no doubt but ppl aint paying $100k+ for low 10's.... their paying for mid 9's and as of now I have yet to see ANYONE even come close.

It was a great marketing ploy by Dodge no doubt but if Dodge was selling this car for $100k+ and listing it as a low 10's second car going 140 mph no one give two shits and no one would be paying that kinda money for it.

I can never wrap my head around people complaining about a car like the Hellcat or Demon. What other American manufacturer is offering such cars, brand new off the showroom floor, with a warranty? Until someone else does, and at a comparable price point, there's really nothing to complain about or debate. Period.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
My bet is one of the few places an owner driven stock Demon will even get close to the claimed 9.6 is MIR. It's going to take excellent prep and perfect air. The average guy is going to be stuck with 9.8s on DRs. Slicks and transbrake well that may get a 9.6 but not at 140+

Where did Dodge test the car and make the 9.6 pass? I'm too lazy today to look it up.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
So is it complicated to activate, needs to be over 500 miles or all the above? lol

I don't mind, 10.5 is moving out, but isn't a 9.65. Maybe we will see closer to that this summer. All I care about is knowing what they ran at my altitude during testing, I should be able to beat one.

I bet this car has a hard time going quicker than an 11.7 up here unless the DA is unusually good.

I remember when Dodge debuted the Hellcat and they had one out at Bandimere, even with their driver it only went a 12.8. Altitude is a bitch.

_Snake_

Established Member
Not directed at anyone in particular.....

You’d think that only a handful of members here have been to the track regularly. It seems like a lot of you simply don’t understand drag racing, or at a minimum don’t want to apply that knowledge to this car.

How many of you who’ve made hundreds or thousands of passes in the same vehicle use anything other than your personal best for bragging rights? Grudge racers excluded.

Why can’t Dodge do the same thing as almost every other person who’s ever released a trans brake?

_Snake_

Established Member
My bet is one of the few places an owner driven stock Demon will even get close to the claimed 9.6 is MIR. It's going to take excellent prep and perfect air. The average guy is going to be stuck with 9.8s on DRs. Slicks and transbrake well that may get a 9.6 but not at 140+

Where did Dodge test the car and make the 9.6 pass? I'm too lazy today to look it up.

Gainesville

_Snake_

Established Member
Yep. And there are people here whining about the fact the 9.65 was done in good DA on a well prepped track. Noone goes to Denver to set records. Noone tries to set records in FL in July. But because the Demon doesn’t have a blue oval on it.....

(not arguing, just continuing the discussion)

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Eventually someone will be able to mirror what Dodge did with the Demon, maybe not on factory tires but the DA the day they ran looks like it was ~-1300', guys will probably be able to find a similar DA to that. The biggest issue is the track prep, the dude who prepped the track for the Demon run is one of 5 guys who can do it nationally. He said for top fuel dragsters his "traction meter" is in the 350-550 range (whatever that means) but for the Demon he said it pegged his meter over 900-1000 and it's physically too sticky to walk on.

It might go back to that previous argument about the stock vs not stock but it will probably take an aftermarket set of slicks to do it.

Zemedici

Established Member
Expectations are high plus March is a lot more friendly for blower cars than say June. I know I'm envious as I still have about 6-8 weeks before the track opens. Plus new toy syndrome so of course we all want to see what it's doing real world.

Of course, but i don’t feel well get record times the first few months the car is being delivered....everyone cool their jets lololol

bigja01cobra

Established Member
The complaint is when u spend a $100-150k for a car u expect it to perform as tested. That simply is NOT what is happening and the mph isn't even close with all the videos I have seen.

Its a wicked car no doubt and looks totally badass but no one keeps their car stock so a warranty really don't mean dick! Unless ur happy with bolt on mustang Times for a $100k cause without modifying it that is as FAST as it will get. low 10's are fast no doubt but ppl aint paying $100k+ for low 10's.... their paying for mid 9's and as of now I have yet to see ANYONE even come close.

It was a great marketing ploy by Dodge no doubt but if Dodge was selling this car for $100k+ and listing it as a low 10's second car going 140 mph no one give two shits and no one would be paying that kinda money for it.

Could we not say the exact thing about the GT350R? Every owner should be able to go to the Ring and put down a ~7:26? If not it sure was a great marketing ploy for ford to say how amazing the GT350R is at track days.

Yeah dodge stacked the deck on the track setup and the 9:65 run but they are all possible of that, and some may even be faster. Seat time and track conditions play into drag racing as much as the track day in the GT350R.

badmpg03

Established Member
What? Out a while? Probably less than 1/4 of the 3300 Demons have been delivered. Hell i dont even think they have all been made yet. There is literally a handful or two of demons actually drag racing. None of which have had the -2000 da dodge had when they ran the 9.6. Common sense would say wait till all cars are delivered and actually have a chance to get the great da dodge had to replicate the performance, which will likely not be till next fall.

Well....'Out a while' as in I have been watching auto review videos/drag strip run videos etc on them for the past 5-6 months.
Plenty of them are out there and have been tested, whether there are 150 delivered or 1500, it should not really be relevant how many are delivered considering Dodge's claim on what they perform....for the most part one should not be any faster in stock form than the others.
Don't get me wrong I am a big fan of this car, the concepts the have input behind it, and the direction that Dodge is going. But their performance has been mixed thus far and everyone knows Dodge boldly branded the performance across the automotive industry to which they used to market and sell this car.

slow poke

Established Member
Dodge just decided to do a hero run and state that as the cars 1/4 time, Technically nothing false about it just not industry standard.

I think Mclaren lists the 720s as performing the 1/4 mile in 10.3. it has to date, gone 9.7x (completely stock) at 147 over at Atco.

Yeah, the car is way more expensive and in a different league but it doesn't even care about the 1/4 and is right on the heels of this thing.

Before anyone hits Dodges claim there may already be a car out that is quicker in the 1/4 without resorting to needing race gas, seat delete, trans break, and bigs and littles.

The Demon is a great step forward but why make it out to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. Had they produced a car that did a 9.65 but didn't need all the drag goodies that would have been a game changer. Always expect more

Also, everyone asking where is Ford in this. I don't think they give a ****. It's not rocket science going fast in a straight line.

badmpg03

Established Member
So much truth.

If this was a Ford vehicle it would be treated as the the rebirth of Jesus, but since it’s dodge it has to run 7s for $30,000 or it’s junk. Some of y’all live in fantasy land.

I disagree

IMO - If ANY car manufacture brands something similar in the manner Dodge did - ie: "world's fastest production car", "run's 9.6-9.7's @ 140" and giving the impression "you can too if you buy our car" then has trouble replicating real world results, I think people would start to have mixed feelings about the group regardless if it is Ferrari, Tesla, or Honda.

I am sure there is passion behind the project but they are a corporation and it's business at the end of the day. Dodge was heavy on the marketing as we know and used performance figures and statements to sell cars these cars.

I agree too it is early for the car and I don't want to jump to firm conclusions on performance but so far performance is more mixed on the car than most expected it to be.

Again, don't get me wrong on the car itself. Big fan and I like the features they implicated into the build with transbrake, computer tunes...drag racing crate...etc. All very awesome, innovative and things!

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Sad thing is most people can't tell a base Challenger & Demon apart.

And the addition of the Challenger wide body doesn't help.

Eventually someone will be able to mirror what Dodge did with the Demon, maybe not on factory tires but the DA the day they ran looks like it was ~-1300', guys will probably be able to find a similar DA to that. The biggest issue is the track prep, the dude who prepped the track for the Demon run is one of 5 guys who can do it nationally. He said for top fuel dragsters his "traction meter" is in the 350-550 range (whatever that means) but for the Demon he said it pegged his meter over 900-1000 and it's physically too sticky to walk on.

It might go back to that previous argument about the stock vs not stock but it will probably take an aftermarket set of slicks to do it.

Dodge was kind of up front with that, too. If you watch the hype video of the Demon launching and they show the rear tire, they weren't just showcasing the Demon emblem on the tire, they were also showing how much VHT was on the track. Notice all the glue strands sticking to the tire as it was taking off. It looked like cobwebs.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
I bet this car has a hard time going quicker than an 11.7 up here unless the DA is unusually good.

I remember when Dodge debuted the Hellcat and they had one out at Bandimere, even with their driver it only went a 12.8. Altitude is a bitch.
10.89 is the best Dodge's driver could manage at Bandimere. So mid to low 11's for average owners up here is likely. The one time I lined up against a hellcat, it ran 12.5. I get way too much amusement out of non car guys who don't understand altitude and get frustrated when their car is running way slower than advertised, lol.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f100/2-demons-bandimere-speedway-598850/

Of course, but i don’t feel well get record times the first few months the car is being delivered....everyone cool their jets lololol
Yeah but when it doesn't hit close to those times this summer, it will be "wait for cooler weather", then in fall, it will be something else. I don't really care, it just amuses me.

One of the reasons people are skeptical too, how many post a better time than what the manufacturer says in their GT, GT500, Camaro, etc. So it isn't unreasonable for people to be confused to see Dodge say the Demon does 9.65 but the best we've seen is what, 9.99? Someone might hit that without additional mods, and be cool to see, just haven't yet.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
10.89 is the best Dodge's driver could manage at Bandimere. So mid to low 11's for average owners up here is likely. The one time I lined up against a hellcat, it ran 12.5. I get way too much amusement out of non car guys who don't understand altitude and get frustrated when their car is running way slower than advertised, lol.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f100/2-demons-bandimere-speedway-598850/

Yeah but when it doesn't hit close to those times this summer, it will be "wait for cooler weather", then in fall, it will be something else. I don't really care, it just amuses me.

One of the reasons people are skeptical too, how many post a better time than what the manufacturer says in their GT, GT500, Camaro, etc. So it isn't unreasonable for people to be confused to see Dodge say the Demon does 9.65 but the best we've seen is what, 9.99? Someone might hit that without additional mods, and be cool to see, just haven't yet.
Oh damn that's way faster than I would have expected. Ignore what I said.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Oh damn that's way faster than I would have expected. Ignore what I said.
You're still not far off. Sub 11.5 from a Demon here on a T&T will be impressive. Like Hellcats, most the owners are guys wanting a turn key fast car, but no experience or ability. Track won't be as sticky as it was for Mopar Nationals.

@AustinJ427 Side note, starting to keep an eye out now, any word on track rentals yet?

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
You're still not far off. Sub 11.5 from a Demon here on a T&T will be impressive. Like Hellcats, most the owners are guys wanting a turn key fast car, but no experience or ability. Track won't be as sticky as it was for Mopar Nationals.

@AustinJ427 Side note, starting to keep an eye out now, any word on track rentals yet?

I'm a road course guy now to be honest. I don't get a lot of free time it seems so when I do, I'm at HPR or PMP. I greatly prefer it over drag racing. I'll let you know if I hear anything though. I still get invites a few times a year.

Users who are viewing this thread