Do you have a noisy TOB?

Do you have a noisy TOB?

• Yes I have this problem

Votes: 73 42.2%
  • Yes, but it got fixed (please post how)

Votes: 19 11.0%
  • No problems

Votes: 65 37.6%
  • I don't know what a bad TOB sounds like

Votes: 16 9.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SStupid

Established Member
Ford

Originally posted by mike79
When my clutch is down, its quiet. When i let off the pedal, you hear a noise, like a bearing is not oiled well, or its grinding a tad. Anyone else hear that?

I'm on my third TOB, so believe me when I tell you to take your car in to your favorite dealership. You have an issue with your TOB. The longer you wait, the more likely you'll be waiting on a new tranny.

ADR

Greased Lightning
Established Member
(Originally posted by Ochakla) Had a noise, sounded like a belt squeal when I was around 4000 miles. Dealer had replaced the TOB. Month later, sound started up again and the second time they replaced the TOB, clutch assembly, and flywheel. They said the pressure plate was warped. Ford had instructed the dealer to verify some measurements first, then they told them to replace it. Dealer had comments that Ford is now aware of the problem with the TOB and that a technical bullentin will be released. Something like the TOB isn't capable for the 03 Cobra, that it is the same type TOB as on the GT and other standard tranmissions and it can't hold up to the power of the 03. You can contact the dealer for information and speak with the SVT service adviser if you want. It was Bankston Ford in Frisco Texas that had to deal with me and the TOB problems. My symptoms were intermittent, they would occue occasionally and when I had come to a stop and pressed in the clutch, then the squeal sound happened. When I turned off the engine and restarted, it wouldn't repeat again. It took a few weeks to be able to demonstrate the sound the first time around.

I have the exact same thing should I take it in now, it only does it once in a while and doubt if i could make the sound at the dealer.

CaptK2003

Established Member
My Clutch shudders. Just as it has gotten a lil better, it is beginning to chatter. I havn't yet heard and chirping.

B-O-B'03

Established Member
I have had my clutch, PP and TOB replaced twice (by 7500 miles).
The last time they also replaced the transmission.

The clutch has a shudder to it now, when you are trying to move slowly (like pulling ito the garage) and the pedal makes a noise when you push it in (like the fork pivot needs to be lubed).

The car has 11K miles on it now.

What a beast :-D

Love this fall weather :coolman:

-Brian

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
mines at the dealer right now, getting the usual stuff done, you know, drivers side tick, rear pumpkin leaking, rear end pop, and ohh yea, the throw out bearing too. i have been putting it off, but i went ahead and bit the bullet today.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
22k miles and no TOB problems so far.

I think the shuddering has to do with hot spots on the pressure plate due driving style and HP/TQ higher than the clutch is rated for. If I drive around like an old man my clutch will not shudder. If I running each gear to redline and then cruise around it will shudder for a while and then eventially stop if I continue to drive it without abusing it.

ADR

Greased Lightning
Established Member
Mine Shudders if I ingage it without giving it much gas, but I have to give it gas and release it fast for it not to shudder, and I'm tired of having to drag my clutch out for smooth slow take offs, Im taking it in to the dealer as much as I hate to

temjin9876

Bringer of Destruction!
Established Member
Originally posted by 03InThe11s
mines at the dealer right now, getting the usual stuff done, you know, drivers side tick, rear pumpkin leaking, rear end pop, and ohh yea, the throw out bearing too. i have been putting it off, but i went ahead and bit the bullet today.

If you don't mind me asking,

What dealer did you take it to and when was your build date?

I need to go in for the tick and the last time I was up there, they told me it wouldn't hurt anything and they were completely unaware of a tsb for head replacement.

kinda makes me a little P.O.

jamchan

Established Member
My TOB squealed, just enough to annoy the hell out of me...so I took the car in to the dealer and they simply replaced the TOB. I didnt get a new clutch, or tranny , but While I was there they also fixed a leaky differential seal.

DimMaK

Banned
Had my TOB replaced 2 weeks ago. Now, while I am in neutral and rev the car a bit I get this weird noise. Can't even describe what the sound is like. Never did this before. It's like a high pitched chirping sound. Only does this when the clutch is not engaged. It can be heard at idle and it is ever more pronounced when the car is reved say to 1500rpms.

vipergts281

Established Member
I just had my TOB replaced and a new clutch installed.

My car was making a chirpping noise and then the clutch pedal would become very light. It only did it from time to time. But then one night the chripping got really loud so I took it to Ford. They then gave me the above mentioned.

But, now it chatters like you wouldn't believe. It sounds like something is loose. And sometimes my clutch pedal vibrates really bad. Where you can actually see it move up and down. WTF.

PDubs

Established Member
I have/had the TOB squeal. It was there for a while, then it mysteriously disappeared. Dealer can't replicate, and I only have 1500 miles before I hit the 12k mark. Great.

CountySoldier

500 RWHP SVT COBRA
Established Member
My 03' Cobra chirps and squeaks until you rest your foot on the pedal. I have not taken it in yet, I only have 600 miles on it.

vipergts281

Established Member
Originally posted by PDubs
I have/had the TOB squeal. It was there for a while, then it mysteriously disappeared. Dealer can't replicate, and I only have 1500 miles before I hit the 12k mark. Great.
Get it on paper with Ford that you had your car in for this noise.

Btw, I had my clutch replaced with 14,8xx miles on the car. Going in Monday to be fixed again. This car is so annoying. :rollseyes

PDubs

Established Member
How did you get the clutch replaced beyond the 12mo/12kmi mark?

vipergts281

Established Member
Originally posted by PDubs
How did you get the clutch replaced beyond the 12mo/12kmi mark?
I took it in because the TOB was chirpping. They called me later saying they ordered me a new clutch assembly.

It's the least they could do. This car is the biggest headache ever. POS if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread