Do you have a noisy TOB?

Do you have a noisy TOB?

• Yes I have this problem

Votes: 73 42.2%
  • Yes, but it got fixed (please post how)

Votes: 19 11.0%
  • No problems

Votes: 65 37.6%
  • I don't know what a bad TOB sounds like

Votes: 16 9.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
You'll find my name connected with those retainer threads.

My transmission was replaced.

I've started to feel a slight vibration in the pedal at the top again...

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
hmmm happening again? I'm considering getting an extended warrenty just incase I need a new transmission later on for the same problem.

I'm just wondering if an exteneded warrenty would actually cover this though. The ones I've looked at so far say they exclude coverage on Manual Clutch and Manual CLutch related parts. I wonder if the retainer sleave is considered as one of the excluded parts? If so then I'm not going to worry about getting an extended warrenty (they cost between $1300 and $1500 depending on current mileage and deductable).

Please keep us posted Sly on your clutch. Thanks :beer:

olchakla

Dallas Mustang Cover Car
Established Member
I never believed in extended warranty, cost never was justified. With the componants on it and how easy it could be to task and break parts, I bought the 75,000 extended warranty and I intend to use all of it unless I void it from mods. With the tranny cost at $5,000 and the engine at $13,000, it is well worth the investment.
I learned after the sale that I was paying higher than I would care to. They first quoted $1800 and offered group rates at $1300 for the 75,000 mile coverage. It would be fair to only pay $1000 for the same coverage as other DFW 03 owners had paid. Remember that the extended warranty is a cost adder the dealers use to pump up the sale costs and is highly negotiable. Whatever they offer for the coverage, don't budge higher than $1000. I told my deler that I am going to use every bit of coverage on my extended warranty.

acatalon

Established Member
My car is currently in shop, I brought it in for the "Tick'" on startup and to investigate the squealing and pulsating feeling in the clutch...They didn't notice any noise with clutch yet,I said "yet "cuz they started work on the tick first..Its been there for 2 days now being reassemled and retorqued. I told them there was a noise resonating through the shifter handle that sounded like the ac fan was running..."a mild whurring sound," that would go away only when clutch was depressed, beginning to wonder if its not the retainer coming loose...Go figure, aren't these the same units in vetts and vipers, are we the only ones affected? the clutch package was change the day after I bought the car, about a month later the rear had to be dropped to reapply sealant, they do not use a gasket on the rear cover, only a thin silicon bead is there...also most of the bolts were loose when I tried to tighten to stop the leak. So we got Rocks in a Box on startup, bad Clutch/ tranny package...bad rear end . I also noticed the Headlights have these strange clouding effects as though when assembled the inside lense was touched with an adhesive sort of like when u apply super glue to a clear plastic and you get this cloudy effect..well I had some replacements ordered and they came in with that injected shipping foam sprayed onto the lenses and it doesn't come off..so thats been reordered too. Nuff saif I love my car, but am having serious reservations as to the adequacy of warranty coverage. Sorry Had to get it off my chest:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
I suspect that the whurring sound comming from the shifter that you hear is the same sound all of the cobra shifters are making. It is pretty normal... just get a louder exhaust. :) If it were the retainer sleave then it would be very obvious and you would hear it from outside the car as it makes a clank clank clank clunk clang sound and also a loud high pitched squeel like a fanbelt slipping. The whurring is just normal tranny noise comming up through the shifter handle. You might be able to reduce the whurring by swapping to a different tranny fluid or by installing rubber spacers between the handle and the shifter.

best of luck to you with the other stuff. I hate being without my car too. I love the CObra. :beer:

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
cool. i'm guessing I can probably just order the HD TOB by itself and have it installed to work with the factory clutch assembly?

How difficult is it to replace the TOB? is this an expensive job? Thanks. Just wondering what to expect.

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
So at first I didn't know what a noisy TOB sounded like...

Now I do.

Mine makes a low growl that goes away when I push in the clutch. Comes back when I let the clutch out...

Plus I have a very clunky drivetrain. Clunks just about everytime I shift, and sometimes when I'm toolin' around town with various changes in throttle.

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
btw... i forgot to post that I got my car back on Friday. They replaced the transmission and it runs great now.

I might still swap in the HD TOB butright now it is still good.

jrh99

Established Member
No problems yet, but I've only got just over 800 miles. When did you guys start hearing noises?

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
My TOB is squealing all the time now. I have ~11,200 miles. The tranny and everything else (clutch / flywheel / pp / TOB) was replaced at approx. 6,300 miles.

Just FYI. I'm taking mine in again soon. The noise is driving me bonkers.

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
Mine squeels again too. even after replacing all the same stuff they did to yours.

I'm considering getting the HD TOB and clutch replaced with an aftermarket. Let me know how it turns out for you.

:beer:

jumpincactus

Warriors come out to play
Established Member
I got it too, sqealing chirping sound. Usually happens at a stop after car is well warmed up. Happens with clutch all the way in. Take it out of gear and go into nuetral and it stops.

Have driven it on 2 different occasions to the point of it doing it already called the service department ahead to let em know I was coming. And wouldnt you know the damn thing would not replicate itself for the service tech.

Wanted me to leave it but after them putting over a 100 miles the last time they had it I just laughed and drove off. At any rate I faxed a transmittal to the service dept to at least create a paper trail.

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
sounds like the same thing we are having a prob with, JumpinCactus.

When I first had the problem I took it in andn couldn't replicate it either. So the next time I took it in I took the service guy for a test drive with me him driving it. I told him what he needed to do for it to happin (basically romp on it for awhile) and then at stop lights you would hear it squeel.

I would take it in to have the TOB replaced (yet again) but I'm considering having the TOB replaced with a heavy duty aftermarket one so I don't have to worry about it again (hopefully)

Good luck to you :beer:

Last edited:

2xlr8

Established Member
Calgary, Canada - summer is too short here!
Which aftermarket TOB?

I'm extremely annoyed with my squealing TOB. My dealer is not inclined to fix it until it's squealing ALL the time.

Does anyone have a recommendation on an aftermarket TOB?

Thanks in advance,

:??:

davidmax

Established Member
I have a Spec 3 clutch and a new flywheel etc.... I had to go to a clutch good for 800+ flywheel HP and the Spec is good for 650.If anyone wants this excellent setup with under 200 miles on it mail me.
I will sell it at 50% off and I have had these on 03's for 10k+ miles and it cured T.O prblems so faar and feels great and they last along time.Dave S.

King03Cobra

Established Member
Olchakla,
Who are you dealing with at Bankston that seems the most knowledgable with the 03 and the different issues it has. Some of the guys including the SVT sales guy seem clueless on some of the different problems that are being reported.

[iSEPIC]

Damn Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
I just wanted to say, I've had a 98 GT, 01 Cobra and now a 03 Cobra, and I know what a TOB going bad sounds like. So, on my 03 I *THOUGHT* I had one going out, I took it to the dealer recently and they said the transmission is what's causing the noise, not the TOB. They drained the fluid, and found small metal pieces in the fluid. SVT Authorized a new T56, so its now on order. I dont grind the gears, so I don't know where the metal pieces came from. I just wanted to let everyone know, if it sounds like a TOB bearning, it could be something else.

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
When my clutch is down, its quiet. When i let off the pedal, you hear a noise, like a bearing is not oiled well, or its grinding a tad. Anyone else hear that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread