Do any MT82 transmissions stand a chance?

Baysixx

Established Member
i bought my car new, its been almost three years and 19k miles, stock shifter/bracket ZERO issues and i DRIVE my car the way it was went to be. i think a lot of guys simple aren't the drivers they think they are and mash gears thinking they are banging gears and their actually killing syncros.

this. mine worked fine for 50k miles. Let my friend drive it one night and on his first pull he stripped all of third gear. He tried to blame it on the weak tranny but I told him that it worked perfectly for me for 50k miles and multiple track days. Some people need driver mod. I got a used transmission from a supercharged '11. Been in for 5k miles and had the whine since the day I put it in. Still shifts perfectly and feels just like the one I had before

FIVEHOE

Established Member
zero problems in my 2013. I have heard the QC got quite a bit better so the manual trannys in the later models were acceptable. I don't love mine, but at 20K no issues so far.....

this.

I haven't had any problems in my 2013 aside from the fact that it is a little noisier than some of the other transmissions I've driven. But even if you have to replace the MT82 for some reason, I would still rather upgrade than pay to convert to an auto. Auto just takes the fun out of this car IMPO.

I think majority of the complaints you see on this forum are from people who don't drive standard well / properly

Last edited:

Gear Poet

Established Member
Drove a '12 GT/M82 for nine months (owner-friend overseas), then bought a '14 GT/M82 last spring. World of difference between the two transmissions. From what I've read, QC and tweaks in materials composition and casting in MY '13-'14 are the reason. '14 M82 made even better by the addition of a Barton 2-post and a Whiteline poly-pad. Not the best MT I've ever owned, but right now I'm satisfied.

four28

Established Member
I agree with all the driver mod comments. I have over 40k miles just shy of 600whp and 65k overall miles. Car is an 11 that I picked up in July 2010. It's been shifted at 7500 with no problems. I think most drivers whine more than my mt82.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
they'll shift. :)

[video=youtube;OTm15zRIuQo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTm15zRIuQo[/video]

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
It's in the info on the video but not impressive

Went 11.50@123. Need better weather and a better launch.

As much as I DONT want to swap gears I may have to. They're costing me 3-4 mph on the big end... Maybe more.

Jdm351

Established Member
I have to add that there are manual tranny complaint threads for every generation of mustangs going back to t-5s. I have read so much about t-45s and tr-3650s from new edge and 05-10 forums. So I take most of what people say with a grain of salt. I've even seen complaint threads about factory t56 trannies. So the point being that if you want to hear horror stories and bad things about any product, all you need to do is search. It may just be a small percentage of people but seems like a lot.

red13

Established Member
I had my transmission rebuilt by ford at 6xxx miles cause of grinding in second, third and 6th. The mechanic took it out on a 2 min drive and confirmed it. After I installed the whiteline insert, energy suspension bushing and up graded rear suspension. Im onto 12xxx miles and not too many issues. Im looking at changing the fluid soon. Plus I have to continuously pump the clutch to keep the gear changing smooth. Im trying to find solutions one step at a time. Hey its my car and its whats happening to me. Looking at fluid change and clutch line next. In that order.

CJ

SuperBlownGT

Forever CoBro!
Established Member
A lot of guys in the s550 crowd including me have the mt82 thud lol. I'm gonna say is worse than the cobra clunk

Uncle Rusty

Established Member
No issues on mine so far, I'm 15k in and I drive/shift this car hard. When I intially had the car I had some issues getting into gear under load or while cornering hard, but the Barton bracket fixed all those issues. We'll see how it holds up to the TVS this year though...

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
So far the MT82 in my DiB2014Gt has withstood my foolishness. In my years I have broken countless T5s (H/C/I nitrous 94 GT), 2nd gear in the 3560, broke just past the 60ft mark (01 cobra), 1 Ford T56 input shaft (03 cobra). The MN12 in my C5Z and the T56 in my F-boat twice...I am hard on parts, hell I don't buy these cars to wipe down with diapers all day and never drive :D

Last edited:

TrackpackGT

Established Member
Mine refuses to shift into 4th gear when WOT in 3rd or just hard throttle in 3rd and I can shift. Had 5 LT1/LS1 Fbody 6 speeds and years drag racing in general. I have a MGW race spec shifter on the way, hope that remedies this. I figure it's the "floating" shifter design causing my issue.

kevin2970

NSFW302
Established Member
I think by driver mod issues, it's not so much that the owner doesn't have experience but rather shifts the MT82 like a top loader... You really just have to let the centering springs do their job.

With the trans mods in my sig, I've never had an issue shifting 1/2/3/4 at WOT even with the Barton Shifter and 2Post Bracket. Switching to MGW only to reduce the notchiness since it's my DD.

Users who are viewing this thread