Do any MT82 transmissions stand a chance?

mustangcobra93

Established Member
I bought a used 2011 GT Premium w/ MT82 back in Sept. '13 and sold it almost exactly a year later. Prior to that I had a '93 Cobra that I had for 12 years that stood up to everything I threw at it. Because of that, I never even thought about looking at problems before buying the '11. I had nothing but problems out of the '11 transmission over the year I had it and didn't even abuse the car because it was my daily driver. Other than the crap transmission the car was awesome, the horsepower and gas mileage was great. I'm starting to really miss a sports car and should be in the position to pick another one up somewhat soon. Should a person even consider a newer 5.0 with a stick or will they all act up? I've read about people doing this and that to try and "fix" it but I don't feel like I should have to spend a bunch of money to "fix" the transmission on a low mileage car. I've never owned a camaro but this may push me to the dark side.

mustangcobra93

Established Member
Yeah I've read on here the auto is the way to go but there is just something fun about a standard sports car an auto doesn't have. I also read about that magnum swap but dang that's expensive for something that shouldn't be a piece of crap in the first place. Disappointing.

Last edited:

Zandura99

Almost there
Established Member
zero problems in my 2013. I have heard the QC got quite a bit better so the manual trannys in the later models were acceptable. I don't love mine, but at 20K no issues so far.....

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
i bought my car new, its been almost three years and 19k miles, stock shifter/bracket ZERO issues and i DRIVE my car the way it was went to be. i think a lot of guys simple aren't the drivers they think they are and mash gears thinking they are banging gears and their actually killing syncros.

RiskyRick

Established Member
Take it with a grain of salt since my '13 is stock and doesn't even have 3k miles, but mine shifts awesome. Have had the clutch stick (few enough times to count on one hand), but the transmission AND stock shifter work perfectly. I have a feeling that there's a lot of operator error going on out there- people need to learn to shift faster, not harder.

One thing I will say is that unloading the drivetrain between shifts will make the remote shifter wander around and makes it harder to hit gears than just staying in the throttle.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
In all seriousness. My car was built in nov 2010 today it has 22k miles and out of those miles 12k have been with over 600hp at the wheels. It shifts perfect. I flat foot shift it all the time. It was shifted at 7800rpm n/a today it's shifting great at 7400. It's 100% how it came from the factory. Stock clutch, shifter, oil, flywheel everything is stock. Not an issue. It whines. It's done it since the car had 1800 miles. I think that they are good transmissions. if anything fails they can be bought relatevely cheap.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
In all seriousness. My car was built in nov 2010 today it has 22k miles and out of those miles 12k have been with over 600hp at the wheels. It shifts perfect. I flat foot shift it all the time. It was shifted at 7800rpm n/a today it's shifting great at 7400. It's 100% how it came from the factory. Stock clutch, shifter, oil, flywheel everything is stock. Not an issue. It whines. It's done it since the car had 1800 miles. I think that they are good transmissions. if anything fails they can be bought relatevely cheap.

Agree 1000%.

Mine shifts fantastic and I have absolutely 0 complaints.

Jdm351

Established Member
Only 7500 miles in my 14, but so far it has been great. So much smoother than any previous trannies. I've driven t-5, t-45, tr3650, and none were as smooth as this one. I test drove an '08 gt500 with tr6060 and that thing was vague as hell. I think some people feel the need to put a shifter on it because of what the Internet says, but I suspect some aftermarket parts are the cause for many guys problems. That is until I snap a gear or get locked out...

kevin2970

NSFW302
Established Member
Have had a 12 mt82 and a 13 mt82. 12 mt82 shat itself. 2/3 synchros went out. 10k on my 13 now and no issues. But I went straight to a new shifter/bracket/clutch/clutch line and I have a race spec MGW in order.

Users who are viewing this thread