DIY drop in E85 fuel system for ~800 bucks. Anyone interested?

CPRsm

Hey Dustin you ever gonna show your version of trans brake as long as your feeling like sharing?
Not feeling that froggy lol

Like I said, this is pretty simple. So the details will be minimal, but will include the basics to get 'er done.

13-14 Gt500 parts list

Fuel hat pigtail
Cu2z14s411TA

This is the pig tail for the Gt500 hat. You can run your old yellow power wire from the old pump to one of the new pumps, or use it to trigger the main relay. If you run the yellow wire to the relay, tell your tuner. You do not want varying voltage to a relay requiring 12v.
We use a hobb switch for the second pump.

Adapter for return. This is just a nitrous adapter fitting to supply the nitrous kit with fuel. Here we'll use it as a return instead. Let the pump feed the injectors first, and return what is not needed. Feed this return into pretty much any boost referenced regulator. Feed it in the side of the regulator. Then use the return port on the regulator as normal, and run back to tank. There you will have tapped the top of the Gt500 hat for a 90 deg return fitting. I like -6 for the return especially for stock cars so we don't see a fuel pressure spike on shifts:

image_2.jpg

Fuel line adapter. This is a fitting we use. The factory fuel line is already 3/8 but came w 5/16 on the hat for some reason. The '15's came with 3/8 already so this change isn't needed.
At the end of the fitting you will need to trim a little off the pump side so it till engage the gt500 nipple. The nipple is a bit short compared to the length the fitting needs to grab. You can remove the inner plastic to test fit before putting fitting on.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Dorman-800-08...el-to-3-8-In-Nylon-T-/161880957126?nav=SEARCH

Fuel line repair tool. This the correct tool to install the fitting. It basically forces the fitting into the nylon hose. If you have a brake line flare tool, you can use the clamp that would normally hold the brake line if you want. Force it on by hand from there. Can't be a crybaby if you want to do it by hand though. Gonna take some force lol
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-800-301?seid=srese1&gclid=CMCmnuHLmskCFQOUaQodbY8JUA

If you want to get crazy there are things you could do to make this a little better. Could use the original feed as a return, and weld on fittings to the rails and feed them equally.
You can also add a BAP on these for a gt500 if you really want to stretch it. Go forth and use your savings to buy a turbo kit lol. Enjoy ladies. :coolman::thumbsup:

Last edited:

trevnut

Established Member
1/8 pipe to 6an 90* fitting on the nitrous fitting or you drilling and retapping for a 1/4 pipe to 6an 90* fitting?

BMR Tech

You use a 13/14 GT500 Hat... As it comes.

I run this style system in my '15, and just upgraded to ID1300 injectors and a VMP BAP that I "de-tuned" to 16.6V.

Works pretty good for me. ;)

KG145.0

Established Member
So the boost reference regulator will actually be put in the return side fuel line? And just adjust pressure from there?

CPRsm

1/8 pipe to 6an 90* fitting on the nitrous fitting or you drilling and retapping for a 1/4 pipe to 6an 90* fitting?
Have done it both ways. Last time was 1/8npt to 90 at the rails, but 1/4npt 90 at the hat.

So the boost reference regulator will actually be put in the return side fuel line? And just adjust pressure from there?

Yes, a regulator should only be used to block the return for fuel pressure. Running the fuel thru the regulator first, knocks down flow and potential engine power output

Last edited:

trevnut

Established Member
You use a 13/14 GT500 Hat... As it comes.

I run this style system in my '15, and just upgraded to ID1300 injectors and a VMP BAP that I "de-tuned" to 16.6V.

Works pretty good for me. ;)

Running both pumps off the single bap? The one they sell with the tvs kits?

RusWolf

Established Member
We were going to do something a little different but simply don't have the time. Figured we'd show you an easier version of how we've been doing this for a few years now.
Basically it drops in, and takes a bit of wiring. It's a OEM quality dual pump setup that uses the stock lines and rails. Makes quite a bit of power. Perfect for guys with stock engines that want E85, where a BAP won't work. But don't need 1200rwhp+ worth of fuel. A small adapter, and run a return and regulator, call it a day. Can be assembled yourself easily and installed in less time than a full system. Anyone interested in a small write up?

Sounds like the system i got from Sai Li.

CPRsm

Yep. We figured out how to adapt it about 3 years ago or so when Chris's needed more fuel when running our setup. But for Chris we made a custom fitting to make it a 100% pure drop in w no chassis line change. And drilled his nitrous adapter to 1/4npt

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
Yep. We figured out how to adapt it about 3 years ago or so when Chris's needed more fuel when running our setup. But for Chris we made a custom fitting to make it a 100% pure drop in w no chassis line change. And drilled his nitrous adapter to 1/4npt

Pretty much a Forced Motorsports exclusive for awhile lol.

corepwn

Established Member
Yeah, same general idea but Sai's package is really about as nice as it gets as everything is put together and packaged with instruction, including choice of pumps in the hat + the modification to it, all lines, fittings/adapters, and the regulator + gauge.

The biggest issue is pressing the new fitting into the stock nylon line, it's a pain. While I do have the "correct" tool, it's almost impossible to get it to fit into the area you're working in. It sounds stupid, but I recommend the following..

Brake flare tool to hold the factory feed, screwdriver to insert into the new fitting keeping it straight, and a caulk gun to press the fitting into the factory line. Here's a pic: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6zacfup6tyyzlfn/0328150730b.jpg?dl=0

Mine worked great, I thought I needed more fuel so I went to a bigger system (JPC) but eventually (with Sai's help) found my issue to have been in the tune. I strongly recommend Sai's kit for $950, and the ability to support OVER 800rwhp on e85.

Last edited:

BMR Tech

Yeah, same general idea but Sai's package is really about as nice as it gets as everything is put together and packaged with instruction, including choice of pumps in the hat, all lines, fittings/adaptors, and the regulator + gauge.

The biggest issue is pressing the new fitting into the stock nylon line, it's a pain. While I do have the "correct" tool, it's almost impossible to get it to fit into the area you're working in. It sounds stupid, but I recommend the following..

Brake flare tool to hold the factory feed, screwdriver to insert into the new fitting keeping it straight, and a caulk gun to press the fitting into the factory line. Here's a pic: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6zacfup6tyyzlfn/0328150730b.jpg?dl=0

Mine worked great, I thought I needed more fuel so I went to a bigger system (JPC) but eventually (with Sai's help) found my issue to have been in the tune. I strongly recommend Sai's kit for $950, and the ability to support OVER 800rwhp on e85.

Good post....but a little off topic. How much power were you making on your 9.69 pass?

CPRsm

corepwn said:
The biggest issue is pressing the new fitting into the stock nylon line, it's a pain. While I do have the "correct" tool, it's almost impossible to get it to fit into the area you're working in. It sounds stupid, but I recommend the
another suggestion I saw online was to put the end in hot water to soften it up. Sounded like it slipped right on that way

corepwn

Established Member
BMR Tech said:
Good post....but a little off topic. How much power were you making on your 9.69 pass?

800rwhp +/-. 16.5-17 lbs of boost (VMP Gen2), e85. In-car video in sig w/slip. :)

This was only the second pass on the new motor, I only have the two so far.. 9.94 and 9.69. They boot me after I get a run so I don't get to tune at the track, and both times I've identified either issues (9.94) or opportunities (9.69) to go faster. With no hardware changes, I think 9.4-9.5 is definitely possible as she sits.

another suggestion I saw online was to put the end in hot water to soften it up. Sounded like it slipped right on that way

I actually used a hair dryer to heat up the line prior to pressing it in with the caulk gun.

BMR Tech

800rwhp +/-. 16.5-17 lbs of boost (VMP Gen2), e85. In-car video in sig w/slip. :)

This was only the second pass on the new motor, I only have the two so far.. 9.94 and 9.69. They boot me after I get a run so I don't get to tune at the track, and both times I've identified either issues (9.94) or opportunities (9.69) to go faster. With no hardware changes, I think 9.4-9.5 is definitely possible as she sits..

Nice! I am on similar boost and running similar times, at similar weight (except I am on 20's - IRS FTW). I was just curious. Never had my car on the dyno, but I was guessing around 800.

Thanks for the info and cool video!

Users who are viewing this thread