Disappointing dyno results...but I'm happy

Grimster

Established Member
Went to a dyno day over the weekend. Just put my offroad mid pipe on and was going to see if I could hit the 450 mark (old numbers in sig with stock H-pipe.) Tune I have is already setup for the mid pipe so I thought I was good to go (back O2s turned off, etc).

I was all set for my 3 pulls. Got the car all ratcheted down and ready. Beautiful day outside - no clouds in the sky and probably low 60s. On the dyno the temperature was 69° and we had a nice breeze coming in.

First pull - 380hp. Curve was very jagged and we had lots of tire smoke due to no traction on the rollers.

Second pull - 306hp. I shut it down around 4.5-5k rpm. Something was wrong. Curve on the monitor looked like a damn earthquake recording station.

After looking at the screen and thinking "wtf" a couple of the guys there checked the relay and determined that the intercooler pump wasn't working at all (they tried jumping the pump). Well that's no good. Limped the car home and made sure to not get into boost at all.

I already bought a new intercooler pump from Tousley (thanks Steve!) and it should be here on Thursday. Im happy because I probably would have continued to drive the car around with the non-functioning pump and something worse could have happened.

Is there anything else I should be troubleshooting? The only code I was able to pull was P1000 but I can check again during lunch today.

Grimster

Established Member
The p1000 code I believe is the ODBll drive cycle readiness code.

Ya, I'm not too worried about that code. checked for additional codes over lunch and that was still the only one. I'm just concerned that I might have damaged something else by driving around (and dyno'ing) my car with no functional intercooler pump.

Bah...

Last edited:

Mystichrome#365

Established Member
Better than my first dyno experience with my 04 i just bought 4 weeks ago... all strapped on a dyno and the tuner heard a slight tick... motor is now out of the car due to a valve seat fixing to drop didnt even get to see the numbers

Fat-cat

Established Member
Pull the spark plugs and check them as well. Could be out of the box gap causing blowout specially if they got hot.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
i wouldnt be too worried. i have had coolant spew from the i/c tank, through my hood vents, and onto my windshield twice...from getting on it/racing and my i/c pump wasnt working, and i didnt know. the 2nd time after the coolant spewed, i pulled over and popped the hood and noticed the i/c tank fluid wasnt moving at all. sure enough, it was the pump. since then i have replaced the pump...but there were never any issues from this happening.

if you havent even gotten coolant to spew yet, then i wouldnt be too worried.

edit: on a side note...i knew it definitely robbed some hp, but didnt think it was THAT much! lol that does explain why the cars i was racing at the time were able to keep up a little better than i expected (but still lost lol).

Last edited:

Grimster

Established Member
Pull the spark plugs and check them as well. Could be out of the box gap causing blowout specially if they got hot.

Will do. :)

edit: on a side note...i knew it definitely robbed some hp, but didnt think it was THAT much! lol that does explain why the cars i was racing at the time were able to keep up a little better than i expected (but still lost lol).

Ya, it's also lower because I stopped well short of a full pull. Hell, there could be more things wrong with it....but for now I will just blame the intercooler pump. haha.

Grimster

Established Member
never updated this thread. Just in case someone else is experiencing the same thing. I found the main culprit. The IC pump WAS dead and I replaced it, but something wasn't quite "right" still. So I ended up cleaning the MAF with the proper cleaner and that fixed it 100%. So Im betting what really robbed me a year ago wasn't the IC pump, but a dirty MAF.

So...clean your MAF's people! lol

Roushgt05

Established Member
never updated this thread. Just in case someone else is experiencing the same thing. I found the main culprit. The IC pump WAS dead and I replaced it, but something wasn't quite "right" still. So I ended up cleaning the MAF with the proper cleaner and that fixed it 100%. So Im betting what really robbed me a year ago wasn't the IC pump, but a dirty MAF.

So...clean your MAF's people! lol

What can I/we use to properly clean the MAF's? Compressed air, brake cleaner, alcohol??

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
What can I/we use to properly clean the MAF's? Compressed air, brake cleaner, alcohol??
CRC_MAF_Cleaner.jpg

testorossa1989

Established Member
The p1000 code I believe is the ODBll drive cycle readiness code.

It is, Ford has details instructions on how to do this or you can bring it to ford and any technician can take care of that in minutes. The code doesnt always dissapear as i had mine for 2k (got PCM reflashed) and had friends that had it for 4k. Could be a little PITA

Users who are viewing this thread