Dinner Ideas?

_GuRu_

Established Member
I know there are some good chefs on here, or at least amateur/recreational chefs. Anyone have any good ideas what I can whip up for dinner, for my wife and I? Brief recipe helps also

03vert70charger

Established Member
I am a newb when it comes to cooking. Just started cooking since I have been living alone. My favorite is grilling some chicken on the foreman, boiling some noodles, and adding whatever kind of sauce you want. Alfredo is my favorite. I will be reading this thread again, I need some more ideas. Cooking saves money and is probably healthier in most cases!

66speed

Ya dun goofed
Established Member
I can cook cereal and hot pockets pretty well. I used to cook sandwiches, but now Julie does that for me.

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
I've been doing shrimp dish with amazing success on a date night. Good enough as a main meal, but light enough so you can get it on later. :)

Take half a bag of frozen peel and eat shrimp........not cooked.....that's important. Thaw them in a bowl of water and peel them. Start a pot of water for pasta.....ziti works well.

In a skillet/frypan put enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan and heat it. Add a few cloves of fresh garlic, crushed. Let the oil get good and hot, then add some fresh cut parsley, count to tten and add the shrimp. It'll cook really fast, so have the pasta ready to go.
Add some cayenne pepper and salt to taste..... Serve over the pasta and shred a little parmigiana over it. Goes great with a nice chilly Pinot Nior.

Trust me you'll blow her away with it. The aroma while you are doing the oil and garlic will do it all on its own.

Best of luck.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
Biscuits and Gravy!!!

For the Biscuits, follow the instructions on the bisquick box (don't use biscuits in a tube). Use flour when kneading the dough so it won't stick and it gives the biscuits a better flavor (MHO)

-For the Gravy, get a tube (16oz) of Jimmy Dean "hot" sausage.
-I use about 10 oz and put it in a pot, to cook
-You'll want to mash the sausage into small pieces (crumbles) and let cook it until its almost crispy.
-Then add flour to the sausage until all the grease is soaked up by it. You don't want any balls of flour in the mix.
-Then turn the heat down a bit and add milk, (I usually add 1/4 gallon for two people)
-Stir slowly until gravy firms up.
-Add salt and pepper to taste!

Prep time 20 min, Cook time 15 min!

Get some seasoned hash browns and you are set! Yummy!

_GuRu_

Established Member
I've been doing shrimp dish with amazing success on a date night. Good enough as a main meal, but light enough so you can get it on later. :)

Take half a bag of frozen peel and eat shrimp........not cooked.....that's important. Thaw them in a bowl of water and peel them. Start a pot of water for pasta.....ziti works well.

In a skillet/frypan put enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan and heat it. Add a few cloves of fresh garlic, crushed. Let the oil get good and hot, then add some fresh cut parsley, count to tten and add the shrimp. It'll cook really fast, so have the pasta ready to go.
Add some cayenne pepper and salt to taste..... Serve over the pasta and shred a little parmigiana over it. Goes great with a nice chilly Pinot Nior.

Trust me you'll blow her away with it. The aroma while you are doing the oil and garlic will do it all on its own.

Best of luck.

Thanks Troy, sounds great. Keep ideas coming for future reference

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Stuffed Filet. Get two 10 ounce filet mignons. Get about a half of a pound of white shrimp already veined. A head of brocolli. Chopped fresh garlic. Butter. Inexpensive bottle of Port Wine.

Trim your filets and dice what you have trimmed, place it in a pan with a small amount of butter and crisp it up. Drain off the excess butter and with the pan hot pour in about two cups of port wine. Heat it on med/high flame until it starts to simmer, stirring regularly. Once it starts to thicken and bubble (different from boiling), take it off heat the allow it to reduce further.

Turn your grill on as high as possible with lid closed. Spray the grates with pam or olive oil in the can. Once the grill is at about 500 degrees, place the meat on the grill and sear one side for about 3 minutes until the surface is crisp, then flip over and cook to desired temperature (please not more than med.).

Take one stick of butter, melt it under low/med flame add two tablespoons of chopped garlic and season with sea salt and black pepper with a small pinch of cayenne. Cut brocolli into the head alone, no stems, and steam partially. Once the garlic is browned add the brocolli and cook together until the brocolli is coated with garlic.

Pull out the brocolli and cook the shrimp in the same pan with butter, garlic, sea salt, no pepper, and when the shrimp turns pink, flip it and add a small amount of white wine and cook until done.

Take the port wine reduction and put about two tbsp on each plate in a circle, place the filet, crisp side up, in the middle of the reduction, then added a combo of shrimp and brocolli.

EAT and ENJOY.

_GuRu_

Established Member
Stuffed Filet. Get two 10 ounce filet mignons. Get about a half of a pound of white shrimp already veined. A head of brocolli. Chopped fresh garlic. Butter. Inexpensive bottle of Port Wine.

Trim your filets and dice what you have trimmed, place it in a pan with a small amount of butter and crisp it up. Drain off the excess butter and with the pan hot pour in about two cups of port wine. Heat it on med/high flame until it starts to simmer, stirring regularly. Once it starts to thicken and bubble (different from boiling), take it off heat the allow it to reduce further.

Turn your grill on as high as possible with lid closed. Spray the grates with pam or olive oil in the can. Once the grill is at about 500 degrees, place the meat on the grill and sear one side for about 3 minutes until the surface is crisp, then flip over and cook to desired temperature (please not more than med.).

Take one stick of butter, melt it under low/med flame add two tablespoons of chopped garlic and season with sea salt and black pepper with a small pinch of cayenne. Cut brocolli into the head alone, no stems, and steam partially. Once the garlic is browned add the brocolli and cook together until the brocolli is coated with garlic.

Pull out the brocolli and cook the shrimp in the same pan with butter, garlic, sea salt, no pepper, and when the shrimp turns pink, flip it and add a small amount of white wine and cook until done.

Take the port wine reduction and put about two tbsp on each plate in a circle, place the filet, crisp side up, in the middle of the reduction, then added a combo of shrimp and brocolli.

EAT and ENJOY.

Very nice, now we are getting some helpful responses

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Grilled 2 filet migons (marinated in Wurze sauce, crushed garlic and hot sauce)for my son and I tonight. Baked potatos with light butter and monterey jack cheese (sour cream and chives included). Plus a little bit of corn on the cob, light in butter and heavy with salt.

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
TroyV is da man!!! He will lead you to date night success!!! :beer:
Trust him he knows the "V" :thumbsup:

:lol1:

Nah... I'm just coming up on 10 years of marriage. The dish works even better if you're home before she is...get the aroma going as she gets home......immediate mood changer.

Works like a charm. :)

I have more stuff if you're interested. Some of it gets a little more involved on the prep side. I was just figuring you wanted something quick.

Last edited:

Grizzly Adams

Resident Hippie
Established Member
I have no idea what I am going to eat for dinner tnonight. Had a simple meal of some brown rice and prawns last night with some watermelon a little later.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread